Lie from the NYT

Thunderbird

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Here's the NYT: But Trump is already damaging America’s reputation worldwide by commenting sympathetically about Putin and the Chinese massacre of protesters from the Tiananmen democracy movement.

If you follow their link you find this:

What were your other impressions of the Soviet Union?

I was very unimpressed. Their system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That's my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

You mean firm hand as in China?

When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak ... as being spit on by the rest of the world--

Why is Gorbachev not firm enough?

I predict he will be overthrown, because he has shown extraordinary weakness. Suddenly, for the first time ever, there are coal-miner strikes and brush fires everywhere- which will all ultimately lead to a violent revolution. Yet Gorbachev is getting credit for being a wonderful leader and we should continue giving him credit, because he's destroying the Soviet Union. But his giving an inch is going to end up costing him and all his friends what they most cherish-their jobs.

So the NYT isn't even in the same time zone as the truth. What's interesting is the boldness of the lie. They have no fear that the rest of the media (including the conservative establishment media) will call them on it.

Their system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That's my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

Dude, it's 2016. You've been asleep for a very long time.

Their system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That's my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

Dude, it's 2016. You've been asleep for a very long time.
The NYT article was from March 2, 2016. The NYT dredged up Trump's supposed opinion from an interview back in March 1990. Just another desperate and dishonest attack from the NYT.

Last edited:
Here's the NYT: But Trump is already damaging America’s reputation worldwide by commenting sympathetically about Putin and the Chinese massacre of protesters from the Tiananmen democracy movement.

I was very unimpressed. Their system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That's my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak ... as being spit on by the rest of the world--

I predict he will be overthrown, because he has shown extraordinary weakness. Suddenly, for the first time ever, there are coal-miner strikes and brush fires everywhere- which will all ultimately lead to a violent revolution. Yet Gorbachev is getting credit for being a wonderful leader and we should continue giving him credit, because he's destroying the Soviet Union. But his giving an inch is going to end up costing him and all his friends what they most cherish-their jobs.

So the NYT isn't even in the same time zone as the truth. What's interesting is the boldness of the lie. They have no fear that the rest of the media (including the conservative establishment media) will call them on it.

How is that a lie, simply because you disagree. The REALITY is that other countries think he's making us look pathetic.

How is that a lie, simply because you disagree. The REALITY is that other countries think he's making us look pathetic.
Whats new?
You think voting in a corrupt corporatist isn't reputation damaging? Especially since the people that are voting for her are always shrieking about corruption?

It pretty much looks like that is EXACTLY what Trump is doing in that interview. Backing the Chinese government's massacre.

If you want to point out the NYT wrongdoing maybe point out that nobody was reading that quote until they dragged it up? And not screaming the word "lie" hysterically when it's clearly not.

Trump's a buffoon. He brings nothing to the POTUS candidacy table. All he's got is a lot of money and a talent for publicity. Trump's role in this election is to play the clown who, because he doesn't give a damn, will say anything.

He's a fool, and so is anyone who would vote for him.

Is calling an action vicious and horrible showing sympathy?

It pretty much looks like that is EXACTLY what Trump is doing in that interview. Backing the Chinese government's massacre.

If you want to point out the NYT wrongdoing maybe point out that nobody was reading that quote until they dragged it up? And not screaming the word "lie" hysterically when it's clearly not.

Carlos Slim's newspaper want pro-open borders Hillary

Barrack Hussein Obama has given them any number of reasons to know we're pathetic right now.

No, it's the caveat that he uses before showing it sympathy. If he hadn't used those words before hand he wouldn't have showed it sympathy but outright supported it as a good thing.

I say again, showing it sympathy is EXACTLY what he did.

You state that the New York Times lied as though it surprises you..

I dont understand.

No, it's the caveat that he uses before showing it sympathy. If he hadn't used those words before hand he wouldn't have showed it sympathy but outright supported it as a good thing.

Ridiculous. Trump is clearly condemning Communism and Communist dictators.

Trump: Yet Gorbachev is getting credit for being a wonderful leader and we should continue giving him credit, because he's destroying the Soviet Union.

Trump recognizes that these Communist countries are only held together by force and terror. Once that goes the system rapidly disintegrates.

I was expecting- based upon your claim' the boldness of the lie'- for the lie to be an obvious lie.

Instead- I am struggling to find what it is you consider to be a line.

by commenting sympathetically about Putin and the Chinese massacre of protesters from the Tiananmen democracy movement.

So lets look at each of those accusations- commenting sympathetically about Putin:

When people call you brilliant, it's always good, especially when the person heads up Russia." Though host Joe Scarborough pressed Trump, noting that several journalists critical of the Putin regime have been slain, the tycoon turned politician stuck with his admiration for Putin and replied, "He's running his country, and at least he's a leader, you know, unlike what we have in this country."

Trump also defended Putin, saying, "If he has killed reporters, I think that's terrible. But this isn't like somebody that's stood with a gun and he's, you know, taken the blame or he's admitted that he's killed. He's always denied it."

So where is the lie there- at most it is a disagreement between how you interpret this versus the author- but there is no lie there.

and the Chinese massacre of protesters from the Tiananmen democracy movement.

What did Trump say?
When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak ... as being spit on by the rest of the world-

Again- where is the lie? 'but they put it down with strength'- and then proceeds to comment that the United States is perceived as weak.

Seems like you had to stretch pretty hard to be outraged about the NT Times article.

By the way- in the Playboy article in 1990- Trump is complaining that the United States was perceived as being too weak- during Bush 1's Presidency- immediately after Reagan's presidency.

So lets look at each of those accusations- commenting sympathetically about Putin:
The lie I mentioned in the OP has to do with the Chinese massacre. Now that you mention it, Trump is not really sympathetic toward Putin either.

What did Trump say?
When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak ... as being spit on by the rest of the world-

Again- where is the lie? 'but they put it down with strength'- and then proceeds to comment that the United States is perceived as weak.

Seems like you had to stretch pretty hard to be outraged about the NT Times article.
Can't you admire strong good people and condemn strong bad people?

Trump clearly criticized Communist dictators.

The lie I mentioned in the OP has to do with the Chinese massacre. Now that you mention it, Trump is not really sympathetic toward Putin either.

What did Trump say?

Can't you admire strong good people and condemn strong bad people?

Trump clearly criticized Communist dictators.

What was the lie? The NY Times didn't mention Gorbachev, and didn't mention Communist dictators at all. At most you disagree with how the NY Times interpreted Trump's remarks about Tianamen Square.

Far from a blatant lie- like Donald Trump claiming he didn't know anything about David Duke

Ridiculous. Trump is clearly condemning Communism and Communist dictators.

Trump: Yet Gorbachev is getting credit for being a wonderful leader and we should continue giving him credit, because he's destroying the Soviet Union.

Trump recognizes that these Communist countries are only held together by force and terror. Once that goes the system rapidly disintegrates.

You put whatever words you want in to his mouth to make supporting him paletable for you, but don't do screaming lies when there are none.

Forum List

Back