Lettuce would not cost $4 a head

he rest of the industrialized world has mechanized already. If field work was VITAL to agriculture, field workers would be pouring into Chile whose farms are much larger than anything OUR EPA allows. No. We cannot mechanize because we would have no need of illegals and the activists would have no excuses.

some field crops have to be hand picked. Not everything can be picked by machinery. You show how very little you know about agriculture from your statement. Most fruits MUST be hand picked. Vine crops also have to be hand picked. You really need to do some research before making such silly statements.

That's because you are flat wrong.

Vine Lines: Mechanization Of The Raisin Industry - Growing Produce

Vine fruits can be picked by machinery and should be. Like every other industrialized nation does.
grapes is NOT ALL vine fruit...and farmers don't always have the money for very expensive machinery, nor do all of their farms have the space to run those machines...big ag might have the money and space, but the "little guy farmer" does not....

i have no problem with importing workers to pick our crops, as long as they are hired and on a legal visa to do such.

some field crops have to be hand picked. Not everything can be picked by machinery. You show how very little you know about agriculture from your statement. Most fruits MUST be hand picked. Vine crops also have to be hand picked. You really need to do some research before making such silly statements.

That's because you are flat wrong.

Vine Lines: Mechanization Of The Raisin Industry - Growing Produce

Vine fruits can be picked by machinery and should be. Like every other industrialized nation does.
grapes is NOT ALL vine fruit...and farmers don't always have the money for very expensive machinery, nor do all of their farms have the space to run those machines...big ag might have the money and space, but the "little guy farmer" does not....

i have no problem with importing workers to pick our crops, as long as they are hired and on a legal visa to do such.

There is not a single fruit or vegetable that can't be harvested by machine. Other countries do it. What makes them so different from us? Why does the United States discourage mechanization? So we can have an excuse to bring in thousands of illegals.

How much does the care and feeding of farm workers cost? Mechanization saves tens of thousands of dollars. The little guy farmer that has neither money or space to maintain their own harvesters should at the very least be able to rent such machines from companies whose business it is to maintain such machines.

Round them up and ship them back. Fill boxcars and buses, give them a baloney sandwich and a bottle of water and send them back to wherever they came from.

on the news this morning...crops are spoiling because immigrants are afraid to take the jobs...even the legal immigrants....

they can't hire Americans to fill the job...according to the farmers...

American workers were saying they won't take the jobs because the farmers do not pay enough for the job.

that was the gist of the news cut that i saw...

Pay more, charge more.

When the Chinese minister of agriculture toured American farms, he remarked "Americans should not be in the business of agriculture, you do it so badly." I'm inclined to agree with him.

on the news this morning...crops are spoiling because immigrants are afraid to take the jobs...even the legal immigrants....

American workers were saying they won't take the jobs because the farmers do not pay enough for the job.

Pay more, charge more.

Why not bring back the bracero progam. Bring them here legally when the crops need picking, send them back home with a nice fair salary and have them return when the crops need picking again. Why do these farmers object to paying a fair wage??? Are they so used to big profits and exploitation that they just can't seem to see themselves being fair? That is why hiring illegals is so wrong! It hurts everybody! Cesar Chavez faught for hiring legals and keeping the illegals out. He knew how it hurt those that were working here LEGALLY!

Pay more, charge more.

The real gripe is that people can have a larger income on welfare than they can by working. The answer is, end welfare.

It was the Reagan Admin. that launched the Uruguay round of multilateral negotiations in 1986 that lowered global tariffs, and created the World Trade Organization (WTO). The agreement eventually
expanded to include Mexico in 1988, what became the North American Free Trade Agreement
which Clinton signed on in 1993 which came into force in 1994.
This my friends is the source of your concerns.

I disagree on that reasearch and what do they use to come to that conclusion with. We import most of our food because it is cheaper than growing.

So what happens to all the food we grow here in the US? Fact is, it's cheaper to produce domestically, as long as the area is amicable to the particular product. You think importing steak from New Zealand is cheaper than a T-bone from Texas? Obviously not. Food is "cheaper" to produce in other countries because many foods are not well suited to be produced in our climate. I mean, if we really wanted to, I'm sure we could invest into domestic banana growing. But yeah, that would be alot more expensive than importing natively harvested bananas. Besides that, I'm not sure there's really any room left in the US for new agricultural areas where we can produce even more food.

I disagree on that reasearch and what do they use to come to that conclusion with. We import most of our food because it is cheaper than growing.

So what happens to all the food we grow here in the US? Fact is, it's cheaper to produce domestically, as long as the area is amicable to the particular product. You think importing steak from New Zealand is cheaper than a T-bone from Texas? Obviously not. Food is "cheaper" to produce in other countries because many foods are not well suited to be produced in our climate. I mean, if we really wanted to, I'm sure we could invest into domestic banana growing. But yeah, that would be alot more expensive than importing natively harvested bananas. Besides that, I'm not sure there's really any room left in the US for new agricultural areas where we can produce even more food.

The only place you could get banana trees to grow and produce well would be Hawaii. Banana plants*they aren't trees* are very likely to get fungus and viruses. If the temps aren't an average of 80 year round you are outta luck.

really...how is it that I am clueless in my analogy? It seems you don't think about how strict they are on imports to the US...I love that you make a comment but nothing to back yourself up with...yet I have plenty

FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL IMPORT REGULATIONS AND STANDARDS REPORT

You can pull up all your reports but as I stated earlier the product from which it comes from doesn't follow the requirements here within the states and as studies have shown there is a residual pesticide effect.

Let us know how if there is any PCA's across the border that follow those same protocol.

zonly, I live outside the country and raise cattle here. The things grown for domestic use have less requirements but all stuff here that is for export is stuck with sticking to US import regulations and they are the ones that I gave you in that link. The reason I know this is because we are planning on planting coffee that is for import to the US. I have to stick to all their regulations including using only approved pesticides by the US.

Well, if you are going to point to ridiculous and asinine environmental regulations, you won't get an argument out of me. I know about the thousands of acres of growing land taken out production because of environmental regulations. A situation that will get much worse now that the EPA has declared naturally occurring dust a pollutant.

But that's a different subject all together. Hand labor increases the costs of farming. Regulations means no farming at all.

we are talking about pesticides...that is a bit different than environmental regulations Tipsy..and environmental regulations aren't assinine..want to see how important they are well come visit some of the rivers where shacks are built around and take a swim sometime in one of those rivers..if you come out without some kind of disease you are really lucky.

Hand labor is absolutely a necessity in some farms...machine picking also costs as well because it picks all fruit and veggies, not just ripe fruit and veggies. What isn't ripe either has to be forced ripened or thrown out meaning waste. Machines cost lots of money as well.

zonly, I live outside the country and raise cattle here. The things grown for domestic use have less requirements but all stuff here that is for export is stuck with sticking to US import regulations and they are the ones that I gave you in that link. The reason I know this is because we are planning on planting coffee that is for import to the US. I have to stick to all their regulations including using only approved pesticides by the US.

Um your link doesn't have a pest control advisory report in it or makes no ref to it and I specifically stated to that as a requirement, you seem to have missed. Furthermore, this thread started to talk about veg. produce not cattle from which i was discussing and you seem to have miss or move the goal post to another topic b/c as you know row crops are perishable items(temp and time sensitive, properly cooled/packaged and stored to remove field heat) requiring entirely different needs as apposed to beef/pork, etc; all commodity items.

Zonly, it doensn't need a pest control report. There are certain chemicals that can be used on imported foods to the US and ones that cannot. The US government strongly regulates and inspects all products that are agricultural meant for import to the US.

Pay more, charge more.

The real gripe is that people can have a larger income on welfare than they can by working. The answer is, end welfare.

YOU need to read and comprehend the Welfare Reform Act Clinton put into place in 1996.
Welfare is no longer a career.
Cleaning toilets pays more tham welfare.
End welfare altogether is anti-american and anti-christian.

The Goals of Welfare Reform
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) enacted in 1996 set forth three legislative goals: 1) to reduce dependence; 2) to reduce child poverty; and 3) to reduce illegitimacy and strengthen marriage. The reform has been effective in meeting each of these goals.

Reducing Dependence. Since the enactment of Welfare reform, the AFDC/TANF caseloads have dropped by roughly 50 percent. Some argue that this decline in Welfare dependence is due to a strong economy; however, in the last 50 years no previous economic boom has ever resulted in an appreciable decline in AFDC caseload, let alone a 50 percent drop. (See Chart 1.) It is Welfare reform, not economic conditions, that has produced the huge decline in dependence in the mid-1990's.

The Effects of Welfare Reform

Last edited:
Zonly, it doensn't need a pest control report. There are certain chemicals that can be used on imported foods to the US and ones that cannot. The US government strongly regulates and inspects all products that are agricultural meant for import to the US.

As I thought, you are wrong b/c that is what is said on your side of the border, yet you expect us to translate the language you are so lacking. I suppose we should subsidize your education on the backs of taxpayers in the US.

Your ignorance is permeated through your lack edjumactions but the US will back that up.

Last edited:

Pay more, charge more.

They can always pick apple in washington for $150 a day and that adds up to much more than welfare. You have to have a dozen kids to live off welfare and Welfare Reform only allows one to be on welfare for 5 years.

Washington is 10,000 apple pickers short this year, pay is $150/day for nine hours
Posted by: Grace62
Date: October 26, 2011

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?2,1251765,1252608

If I could climb an apple tree I would give up my social security and pick apples. $150 for nine hours? I have a hard time believing he cannot find workers.

I guess illegal aliens don't even want to pick apples either.

Last edited:
They can always pick apple in washington for $150 a day and that adds up to much more than welfare. You have to have a dozen kids to live off welfare and Welfare Reform only allows one to be on welfare for 5 years.

Washington is 10,000 apple pickers short this year, pay is $150/day for nine hours
Posted by: Grace62
Date: October 26, 2011

If I could climb an apple tree I would give up my social security and pick apples. $150 for nine hours? I have a hard time believing he cannot find workers.

I guess illegal aliens don't even want to pick apples either.

Actually, from what the article says, there are plenty of illegals there, but many have been scared off because of talk about immigration reform. So, what we're seeing here is a DENIAL of the BS claims that the US economy needs illegal labor. Here, work is short, so wages for Americans are going up. And ya know, I haven't noticed an increase in the price of my apples at the grocery store. Guess we've settled that one.

New Topics

Forum List

Back