Leonard Cohen has left our world to take a walk on the wild side

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This is hard. He was truly a poet in the disguise of a musician. Bird on a Wire was one of my favorites. I was blessed to have seen Tim Hardin perform this amazing tune at the Riverboat.

Hallelujah. kd lang.

RIP Leonard. One in a million. You will be missed.

I just wanted to comment on those in his genre. Like Lou Reed ( whose one of my fave tunes I dedicated in the OP to his passing). You don't find them these days. Certainly there are musical geniuses out there in the here and now but they all seem so full of themselves, so arrogant. I'm glad to have lived in the time of these quiet, unique, quirky souls who blessed us with their words and music.

He occupies a really special place in my heart. His songs were poetry. They resonated.

K. D. Lang - another Canadian singer, doing Hallelujah....

Didn't see there was already a thread on this - merged mine in.

Sad day :(

When I was a kid I used to sleep with the radio on, tuned to a college station out of Ithaca, NY. One night , half asleep, I heard Cohen's Suzanne. it was a life changing experience and that is not exaggeration.

Someone once described Leonard Cohen as 'the master of erotic despair'. That pretty much was it.

My favorite:

The saddest song ever written.

Well. I had to do it. I put on Woodstock tonight. I got deer in the front yard at the bird feeder and I'm singing away with Arlo and Riche Havens. I thought it was fitting.

My Bird on the Wire Man has left us but boy oh boy did he ever touch a chord in our souls. In the "Age of the Kardashians" you will be sorely missed.

Does anyone else out there remember Richie Havens? He was awesome. Most of you know me as a yuuuuuuuge rocker. But I have mega folk roots and losing Cohen this week was a huge "ouch".

I'm from the land of Sugar Mountain. Where you could grow up loving Joni Mitchell and still rock out to BTO. Just loving music.

Not to be a party pooper but I find it amazing anyone actually listened to his material all the way through. Sorry! There is so much great stuff out there by talented musicians and songwriters. No reason to think crap is good.

This is hard. He was truly a poet in the disguise of a musician. Bird on a Wire was one of my favorites. I was blessed to have seen Tim Hardin perform this amazing tune at the Riverboat.

Hallelujah. kd lang.

RIP Leonard. One in a million. You will be missed.
Leonard was one of the most amazing people of my lifetime.

I was lucky enough to see him 6 times on his final tours. He was playing for 2 nights on an estate in County Sligo, Ireland. The head gardener of the estate was a friend and we were able to stay on the estate. The morning after the first concert my wife and I went to the seaweed baths in the area. On returning to the estate, we went for a walk. The estate was on a bay. The tide had gone way out and we were able to walk out to what was the center of the bay. Then Leonard and his band came out to the stage for their sound check. My wife and I were standing out in the middle of a bay, with gorgeous scenery surrounding us and Leonard singing in the background. Quite an amazing experience.

Forum List

Back