Leon Russell dead at 74

Yes CBS I have been a Loyal Leon Listener since fluff was a kitten...
But you mentioned the Leon Lifers, too.
So I was just wondering if you were in the Leon Lifer bunch over at Facebook or Yahoo, in which case we may just know each other, possibly even in real life.
My name is Jeffery Haas, and more details are in the article :)

Yes CBS I have been a Loyal Leon Listener since fluff was a kitten...
But you mentioned the Leon Lifers, too.
So I was just wondering if you were in the Leon Lifer bunch over at Facebook or Yahoo, in which case we may just know each other, possibly even in real life.
My name is Jeffery Haas, and more details are in the article :)

Well sir it just happens to be a quinky dink of terminology. I am not and never have been a member of any organized group of Leon Fans... Never even knew a group existed. Don't do facebook of yahoo... Been through Tulsa a couple of times but never spent anytime there...

a233939ae6e68460f6c51b46bbe63126--leon-russell-word-of-wisdom.jpg

Here's another one, just came across my desk last week but hadn't heard it before....

Musician Leon Russell dies aged 74

A tough week for us geezers! First Leonard Cohen and today Leon Russell.
Never head of him.
You were in the wrong place, at the right time....

Dood may not have heard OF him but definitely heard him if he heard any music from the last 50 years.

Yet another one that YouTube won't list is Dylan's "Watching the River Flow". Dripping with Leon's piano.
He probably didn't know he was married to a colored lady also which made him unpopular in many redneck states like Okiehoma...

Dood may not have heard OF him but definitely heard him if he heard any music from the last 50 years.

Yet another one that YouTube won't list is Dylan's "Watching the River Flow". Dripping with Leon's piano.

---As John Beyrooty once said: "Leon Russell is the most anonymous big shot in the entire music business."

He probably didn't know he was married to a colored lady also which made him unpopular in many redneck states like Okiehoma...

What a pathetic way to think. You know, Leon is now considered a favorite son of Oklahoma, but that right there is exactly why Leon left Oklahoma and never lived there again, preferring to live in the Nashville area.

You may wish to hesitate and rethink that "unpopular" tag however.
When I premiered the film last week in Tulsa, we didn't just SELL OUT the theater, they had to open two more screens and they sold those out, too.

That's a bit tough to do if an artist is "unpopular", so I gather he was just unpopular with the kind of people who are too moronic to appreciate art in the first place.
That's the reason today's pop country is the same four songs over and over again.
(That's been proven scientifically)

Last edited:

What a pathetic way to think. You know, Leon is now considered a favorite son of Oklahoma, but that right there is exactly why Leon left Oklahoma and never lived there again, preferring to live in the Nashville area.

When I premiered the film last week in Tulsa, we didn't just SELL OUT the theater, they had to open two more screens and they sold those out, too.

That's a bit tough to do if an artist is "unpopular", so I gather he was just unpopular with the kind of people who are too moronic to appreciate art in the first place.
That's the reason today's pop country is the same four songs over and over again.

Actually I believe he came back to set up Skyhill Studios a decade after leaving for LA, and bought the church in 1972 that became "The Church", both of them in Tulsa, did he not?

Actually I believe he came back to set up Skyhill Studios a decade after leaving for LA, and bought the church in 1972 that became "The Church", both of them in Tulsa, did he not?
Oh sure we'd drive over to Tulsa from OKC , but that didn't stop the intolerance..

You evidently didn't live in OKC or Tulsa during the 1960's or 1970's, I did....What they think now is not the same way they thought 40-50 years ago about the subject...Most of them folks is dead and gone...I never said he was unpopular although there were some who thought he was,, the mood of the young in the nation was it was no big deal..

You evidently didn't live in OKC or Tulsa during the 1960's or 1970's, I did....What they think now is not the same way they thought 40-50 years ago about the subject...Most of them folks is dead and gone...I never said he was unpopular although there were some who thought he was,, the mood of the young in the nation was it was no big deal..

No I "get" what you're saying. I know the specific reasons why he sold off his estate at Grand Lake of the Cherokees, which is just a stone's throw from the nearby town of Disney, Oklahoma.
It was just that sort of talk that finally proved to be "a bridge too far" for Claude Russell Bridges and his wife Mary McCreary.
I'm not doing any finger pointing at you, I'm just identifying it and clarifying what it is and shining some disinfectant on it. Sunshine is one of the best disinfectants, you know ;)

Skyhill was in Los Angeles, but yes the Church Studio is in Tulsa. It just got named the National Register of Historic Places, too.

No I "get" what you're saying. I know the specific reasons why he sold off his estate at Grand Lake of the Cherokees, which is just a stone's throw from the nearby town of Disney, Oklahoma.
It was just that sort of talk that finally proved to be "a bridge too far" for Claude Russell Bridges and his wife Mary McCreary.
I'm not doing any finger pointing at you, I'm just identifying it and clarifying what it is and shining some disinfectant on it. Sunshine is one of the best disinfectants, you know ;)
My Mom's side of the family is from Disney, Leech and Ja. I live twenty miles from Grand Lake..

Forum List

Back