Legendary actor Sidney Poitier, the first Black man to win Best Actor Oscar, dies aged 94

The racism and bigotry he faced is uncanny, and to triumph under such circumstances is nothing short of outstanding.

Well done sir, well done. Rest in peace.

The racism and bigotry he faced is uncanny, and to triumph under such circumstances is nothing short of outstanding.

Well done sir, well done. Rest in peace.

Leave it to a hater to make everything about race.

none of his movies are on netflix sadly. and the website "tubi" which streams for free didn't work for me. damn

TCM has a lot of Poitier's movies. I recently recorded To Sir With Love - we're going to watch it tonight.

Sidney
Lulu
Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders

Faboo!

Last edited:
I'm very sad to report that the great SIDNEY POITIER has died, aged 94 (Feb 20, 1927 – Jan 7, 2022)

The actor, activist, director and ambassador became the first black male actor to be awarded Best Actor at the Academy Awards in 1964 for Lilies of the Field.
Over the course of his illustrious film career, Poitier was nominated for a further two Oscars, 10 Golden Globes and six BAFTAs, as well as receiving eight Laurel nominations.
Race and social justice would become central themes in much of his work throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s.
He is remembered for his roles in, amongst many others, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and To sir with love.

He was one of my favorites to see perform. In The Heat of the Night and The Bedford Incident are just two of my favorite films.
He was a class act.

he turned down a lotta high-paying roles, because he was too classy and he almost quit acting after doing Guess Whose Coming To Dinner, because he got a lot of heat after making that film

Leave it to a white supremacist to make everything about lies.

^^^ Sad little racist hack just can't let Sidney rest in peace without trying to exploit him for racist hack hackery ^^^

“I’m a relatively intelligent man. You only ask me about the blackness of my life. I’m an artist, man, American contemporary. You should give me the respect due!”

Sidney Poitier does not make movies, a critic once wrote, he makes milestones.

What a great actor Sidney Poitier was! Rest In Peace Sir!

Two of my favorite movies... "A Patch of Blue" (1965) and "Guess Who Is Coming to Dinner" (1967)

Forum List

Back