Chuck Yeager, the first man to break the sound barrier, dead at 97...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012

Chuck Yeager, the historic test pilot portrayed in the movie “The Right Stuff,” is dead at the age of 97, according to a tweet posted on his account late Monday.

"It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET," said the tweet, attributed to his wife, actress Victoria Scott D'Angelo. "An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever."

The legendary pilot and retired brigadier general became the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound on Oct. 14, 1947.

The flight in the Bell X-1, which saw him travel to 700 miles per hour, launched the Space Age. But for Yeager, then 24, it was just another job for a young test pilot.

The rocket-propelled orange airplane was called the "Glamorous Glennis" after Yeager's first wife, who passed away in 1990. The aviation feat, meanwhile, was kept secret for months.

He later received widespread recognition because of Tom Wolfe’s book, ″The Right Stuff,″ and the movie based on it, where he was portrayed by actor Sam Shepard.

It told the story of the first astronauts.

"I was the 1st Commandant of ARPS 1st school for training 1st astronauts," Yeager wrote. "I am fully aware of US goals: Presidents Eisenhower, JFK, Johnson & Nixon: US will get to the moon 1st. & we did. 1st step was getting above MACH 1. We did that 1st, too."

Talk about a life well-lived. The first man to break the sound barrier lived to a ripe 97 years old.

Godspeed, General. :salute:

1607404890808.png

Rest in peace Chuck.

*****SAD SMILE*****

:)

Chuck Yeager, the historic test pilot portrayed in the movie “The Right Stuff,” is dead at the age of 97, according to a tweet posted on his account late Monday.

"It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET," said the tweet, attributed to his wife, actress Victoria Scott D'Angelo. "An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever."

The legendary pilot and retired brigadier general became the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound on Oct. 14, 1947.

The flight in the Bell X-1, which saw him travel to 700 miles per hour, launched the Space Age. But for Yeager, then 24, it was just another job for a young test pilot.

The rocket-propelled orange airplane was called the "Glamorous Glennis" after Yeager's first wife, who passed away in 1990. The aviation feat, meanwhile, was kept secret for months.

He later received widespread recognition because of Tom Wolfe’s book, ″The Right Stuff,″ and the movie based on it, where he was portrayed by actor Sam Shepard.

"I was the 1st Commandant of ARPS 1st school for training 1st astronauts," Yeager wrote. "I am fully aware of US goals: Presidents Eisenhower, JFK, Johnson & Nixon: US will get to the moon 1st. & we did. 1st step was getting above MACH 1. We did that 1st, too."

Talk about a life well-lived. The first man to break the sound barrier lived to a ripe 97 years old.

Wow. Did not realize he was still living until today. A true pioneer and a gutsy son of a gun.

May he continue to fly with Angels R.I.P.

I KNEW IT!

It is a conspiracy. . .

I just needed this to prove it. Anyone that breaks the speed barrier, inevitable dies. . . this is just more proof.
They live longer because they went backwards in time while breaking the speed barrier...

Who told you this?

Who do you work for? :mad:
Kaos...
Most guys do, about 9 times a minute.

Not sure if you guys knew, but Kos in Farsi means..

a lady's vajajay.
It certainly made my Persian girlfriend giggle during the Micolash fight. "Aaah, Kos..."

A good man from West Virginia and a true American hero. R.I.P.

I KNEW IT!

It is a conspiracy. . .

I just needed this to prove it. Anyone that breaks the speed barrier, inevitable dies. . . this is just more proof.
They live longer because they went backwards in time while breaking the speed barrier...

Who told you this?

Who do you work for? :mad:
Kaos...
Most guys do, about 9 times a minute.

Not sure if you guys knew, but Kos in Farsi means..

a lady's vajajay.
It certainly made my Persian girlfriend giggle during the Micolash fight. "Aaah, Kos..."

Here is a video of me at work at Kaos,,

He was a man indeed. Hell he flew that flight with a broken rib and never said a word.
RIP General.

He was truly a great aviator. I knew him pretty well. His last wife was a pain, but he was a truly brave man.

Blue Skies Chuck......

Forum List

Back