Legalized extortion

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Damn, an honest assessment of the system from CNN.

The influence of politics and money has become a legal game of extortion, critics say, made all the more insidious because the so-called extortionists are politicians who write the laws and legally manipulate the system for their own gain.
"It is a feeding frenzy that's going on," said Peter Schweizer of the Government Accountability Institute, a nonprofit research group. He's written a book called "Extortion," describing America's political system as one where lawmakers learn how to transform power into cash. "I think we need to somehow break the back of the ability of politicians to leverage their position to extract donations," Schweizer said.
"Most fund-raisers will tell you the place that you start raising money is from people who can't say no," said Schweizer. "So if you're a government contractor or you're somebody that's doing business with the state or federal government, you're going to be put in a position where you're going to be expected to raise funds, because if you don't, the fear might be that you're going to lose the contract."

Ex-Shell Oil president: 'I felt extorted' - CNN.com

Damn, an honest assessment of the system from CNN.

The influence of politics and money has become a legal game of extortion, critics say, made all the more insidious because the so-called extortionists are politicians who write the laws and legally manipulate the system for their own gain.
"It is a feeding frenzy that's going on," said Peter Schweizer of the Government Accountability Institute, a nonprofit research group. He's written a book called "Extortion," describing America's political system as one where lawmakers learn how to transform power into cash. "I think we need to somehow break the back of the ability of politicians to leverage their position to extract donations," Schweizer said.
"Most fund-raisers will tell you the place that you start raising money is from people who can't say no," said Schweizer. "So if you're a government contractor or you're somebody that's doing business with the state or federal government, you're going to be put in a position where you're going to be expected to raise funds, because if you don't, the fear might be that you're going to lose the contract."

Ex-Shell Oil president: 'I felt extorted' - CNN.com

I'm reading that book. It will make your blood boil.

Any other time the Republicans would be on here saying how great this system is. And what is really grrrrreat is that corporations are people to now. And if good money can be extorted from a powerful CEO, think how much money can be extorted from a powerful corporation.

Anybody want to tell me again why Citizens United was such a great thing for the rest of us?

Any other time the Republicans would be on here saying how great this system is. And what is really grrrrreat is that corporations are people to now. And if good money can be extorted from a powerful CEO, think how much money can be extorted from a powerful corporation.

Anybody want to tell me again why Citizens United was such a great thing for the rest of us?

Do I have to point out, again, that I am not a Republican? Or that the "nationalize the oil industry" comment that the article is talking about happened when Bush was the fucking President of the United States?

As for Citizens United, it helps you by allowing you to donate as much money as you want to any 501(c)(3) group you want, and it doesn't let congresscritters solicit donations for those groups.

I didn't think you'd be a campaign finance reformer, QW. Gotta say I'm surprised.

So what's your solution?

This has less to do with campaign finance than anything else.

The solution is simple, restrict the power of government to threaten corporations with regulations.

Last edited:
The only real way to do anything about this will be through constitutional amendment.

Do I have to point out, again, that I am not a Republican? Or that the "nationalize the oil industry" comment that the article is talking about happened when Bush was the fucking President of the United States?

As for Citizens United, it helps you by allowing you to donate as much money as you want to any 501(c)(3) group you want, and it doesn't let congresscritters solicit donations for those groups.

On the one hand you think it not good that Congresscritters beg for money, but it is somehow better if groups working for Congresscritters are able to beg for money. But instead of an individual, they beg the corporation.

Who is it in a corporation that you think has the power to make the decision to make a contribution to a political action group. Would it be the CEO or a janitor.

If the CEO shouldn't be shaken down personally, why would it be OK to shake down the corporation via the CEO?

And you have written a few things lately that made me read them through. That's a good thing I think. You sound more "moderate" or something. Meds regulated? jk jk.

I didn't think you'd be a campaign finance reformer, QW. Gotta say I'm surprised.

So what's your solution?

The solution is simple, restrict the power of government to threaten corporations with regulations.

That's like saying the solution to an increase in people getting murdered for their iPods is to ban iPods.

As long as Congress has any power at all, people will do what they can to buy it - and as long as re-election continues to cost millions of dollars, Congressmen will sell that power to the highest bidder.

On the one hand you think it not good that Congresscritters beg for money, but it is somehow better if groups working for Congresscritters are able to beg for money. But instead of an individual, they beg the corporation.

Who is it in a corporation that you think has the power to make the decision to make a contribution to a political action group. Would it be the CEO or a janitor.

If the CEO shouldn't be shaken down personally, why would it be OK to shake down the corporation via the CEO?

And you have written a few things lately that made me read them through. That's a good thing I think. You sound more "moderate" or something. Meds regulated? jk jk.

No, I think it is good for people to be able to work against congresscritters.

I know you bought into the lie that was passed out by the powers that be. The law that was overturned by the Citizens United decision was designed to prevent people from talking about congresscritters, and did absolutely nothing to prevent them from extorting money from anyone they want.

Come back when you live in the real world.

So what's your solution?

That's like saying the solution to an increase in people getting murdered for their iPods is to ban iPods.

As long as Congress has any power at all, people will do what they can to buy it - and as long as re-election continues to cost millions of dollars, Congressmen will sell that power to the highest bidder.

Actually, the way to prevent people from getting killed over their iPads is to let them carry a gun.

The problem here is not that people are trying to biy congresscritters, it is that congresscritters get to ask people for donations after threatening them.

So what's your solution?

yes less regulations get you bad water in W. virgina.
yay for stupidity

Are you saying that the regulations would have prevented the spill?

I am willing to bet you right here and now that there were plenty of regulations in effect, but it still happened. I am also willing to bet that, even if they make up new regulations, it will happen again.

Forum List

Back