Law Bans Cash for Second Hand Transactions

Write a check...

Generating a paper trail for the government to follow. Possibly/probably. The government looking to "wet its beak". Sheesh the government is a bigger collection of criminals than the mafia, it just dresses its enforcers up in suits and uniforms, handing them badges, weapons, and official ID cards.

Likely this like many laws will be greatly ignored.

Thieves selling stolen goods is just a form of wealth redistribution. Like the thefts at the OWS protests, in that case, the shitters have the goods, the thieves want it redistributed to themselves.

did anyone bother to READ the amendment that Daveman linked to?
I just did.

There is no mention of preventing/banning cash transactions. None. The only reference I see to cash is a requirement to report cash transactions over $25.00.

Um... what's the problem here, again?
Report to whom? Report what, exactly? Names, addresses? How much time will be taken filling out these reports?

Do you really think this is any less stupid?

Well, I skimmed the actual law and it sounds more like it applies to second hand dealers not the buying public. Second hand dealers can't buy things to resell and pay in cash.

Hey Dave, where's THAT in the story? This isn't about going into a store and not being able to pay in cash. Why are you pretending it is?
Pretending? I linked an article. The article may have gotten it wrong.

Oh, if ONLY I were an infallible liberal!

Well, I skimmed the actual law and it sounds more like it applies to second hand dealers not the buying public. Second hand dealers can't buy things to resell and pay in cash.

I don't know what the original law says, as I don't see a link to it in here. However, the amendment that Dave started this thread about says nothing about not being able to pay for things in cash.
The original bill is at the bottom of the amendment and was linked from the Vote page I posted. If you need your hand held, try this link: LA HB 195 - Louisiana Legislature - 2011 - Legislation - MyGov365

I don't know what the original law says, as I don't see a link to it in here. However, the amendment that Dave started this thread about says nothing about not being able to pay for things in cash.

Yeah, it sounds like the guy in the OP is upset that he won't be able to run two sets of books and pocket the cash.

I don't feel sorry for him.
It sounds to normal people like he's against burdensome government restrictions on business.

Ok, this is what I expected. The second hand dealer can't pay in cash. This is an attempt to help generate a paper trail for all of the transactions a second hand dealer does. It's in response to the rising crime incidents of theft. People are turning around and selling stolen stuff to the pawn shops, getting paid in cash, and disappearing. This will stop that.

I knew the legislature was going to tackle stolen goods in pawn shops, sounds like that's what's happening here.
There are already laws against pawn shops receiving stolen goods. So, naturally, the solution is more laws. :cool:

The original bill is at the bottom of the amendment and was linked from the Vote page I posted. If you need your hand held, try this link: LA HB 195 - Louisiana Legislature - 2011 - Legislation - MyGov365

relax dude. Maybe I did not look down far enough. Reviewing it now...

Honestly, Daveman... I'm not trying to be stupid... but the link for HB195 Original you provide above... I did a SEARCH for the word CASH. It appears 5 times, and doesn't say you cannot use cash for second hand transactions. It talks about reporting cash sales in excess of $25.00.

Please, honestly... show me the section where it bans cash sales of second hand merchandise.

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
Legal Tender Status

It does appear in this instance that the state of La. has overstepped somewhat in that it is seeking to limit the use of US currency for a private transaction and payment of debt. They might run into an issue if this is brought in to the court room. Any business and Govt. agency has the right under current law to accept whatever method of payment they wish, however, for a state to pass legislation that bans the use of US currency is a big step at least in my humble opinion beyond the laws intent.

Honestly, Daveman... I'm not trying to be stupid... but the link for HB195 Original you provide above... I did a SEARCH for the word CASH. It appears 5 times, and doesn't say you cannot use cash for second hand transactions. It talks about reporting cash sales in excess of $25.00.

Please, honestly... show me the section where it bans cash sales of second hand merchandise.
Apparently, it doesn't. All it does is require burdensome record-keeping for an activity which, when involving the transfer of stolen goods, is ALREADY illegal.

Dumb.

Apparently, it doesn't. All it does is require burdensome record-keeping for an activity which, when involving the transfer of stolen goods, is ALREADY illegal.

Dumb.

Oh, I agree it's dumb. I also doubt anyone will really try that hard to follow it, or the authorities to enforce it. But while it makes it burdensome to use cash, it does not outlaw or ban it. That is all I've been saying.

Well, I agree with all of the people who feel a law that banned the use of cash to pay for used goods in general would be a bad law. Conservative seems to have concluded that no such provision exists in the law, and that it is instead a requirement for more record-keeping for pawnbroker-type businesses. I think it is entirely reasonable to regulate pawnbrokers under the assumption that thieves would like to use them to "fence" stolen goods.

If I am in the French Quarter, and have a couple hurricanes in me, and a second hand prostitute catches my attention....do I have to pay with a credit card?

Ok, this is what I expected. The second hand dealer can't pay in cash. This is an attempt to help generate a paper trail for all of the transactions a second hand dealer does. It's in response to the rising crime incidents of theft. People are turning around and selling stolen stuff to the pawn shops, getting paid in cash, and disappearing. This will stop that.

I knew the legislature was going to tackle stolen goods in pawn shops, sounds like that's what's happening here.
There are already laws against pawn shops receiving stolen goods. So, naturally, the solution is more laws. :cool:
The old laws weren't working. Locally there's been a lot more car break ins with the property showing up at the local pawn shops.

The process before was that you'd show up at the pawn shop, negotiate for cash, take the hit on reduced value, and disappear after providing a fake name and signing a document that absolves the pawn shop of blame. Everyone knew this was happening, and the pawn shops flat refused to do anything on their own.

To put it in perspective thOugh Louisiana is a heavy R state and fairly anti regulation. To pass this required a pretty rough situation, which is what had developed.

Hey Dave, where's THAT in the story? This isn't about going into a store and not being able to pay in cash. Why are you pretending it is?
Pretending? I linked an article. The article may have gotten it wrong.

Oh, if ONLY I were an infallible liberal!
No, if only you could admit that you swallow whole what you want to believe.

Yeah, it sounds like the guy in the OP is upset that he won't be able to run two sets of books and pocket the cash.

I don't feel sorry for him.
It sounds to normal people like he's against burdensome government restrictions on business.
Yeah, its so burdensome to keep track of your income and expenditures.

Dumb.

Oh, I agree it's dumb. I also doubt anyone will really try that hard to follow it, or the authorities to enforce it. But while it makes it burdensome to use cash, it does not outlaw or ban it. That is all I've been saying.
:beer:

The old laws weren't working. Locally there's been a lot more car break ins with the property showing up at the local pawn shops.

The process before was that you'd show up at the pawn shop, negotiate for cash, take the hit on reduced value, and disappear after providing a fake name and signing a document that absolves the pawn shop of blame. Everyone knew this was happening, and the pawn shops flat refused to do anything on their own.

To put it in perspective thOugh Louisiana is a heavy R state and fairly anti regulation. To pass this required a pretty rough situation, which is what had developed.
Then instead of making new laws, how about we try enforcing the existing laws?

Forum List

Back