Law abiding gun owner, war vet, needs pardon for having a legal gun in New Jersey.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is ridiculous and the Supreme Court needs to end this stupidity.....

USMC War Vet Faces Prison for Legally Owned Gun Unregistered in New Jersey - Breitbart

A former United States Marine who traveled to New Jersey with a gun he legally owned — but which was not registered in New Jersey — is facing three years in prison for firearm law violations.
The three years is the minimum sentence that former Marine Sergeant Hisashi Pompey has to serve before he can even be eligible for parole under New Jersey’s strict gun control laws.

ABC 7 reports that Pompey did “three tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan for which he received medals for bravery.” He was a military police sergeant.

Six years ago Pompey visited New Jersey and brought his legally owned handgun with him from Virginia. During the course of the night, one of Pompey’s friends got involved in a fight, retrieved the gun, and “carried it into a confrontation with police.” Police arrested Pompey’s friend then arrested Pompey, as well, for having brought an unregistered handgun into the state.

He is now asking Governor Chris Christie (R) to grant him clemency. Pompey said, “Only help I am asking for is from the governor, that’s the only one, everyone from judges to lawyers say the only person who will help me now is the governor.”

Your title appears to be wrong. The man was not abiding by the laws of New Jersey, which apparently required him to register his gun if he was to bring it into the state. The weapon was then taken by someone else who was not the owner and carried "'into a confrontation with police.'" I don't know if that violated any other New Jersey laws.

What is it you think the Supreme Court should rule, that Jersey cannot have its own gun laws?

It's a dumb law, but, IMO...if he wasn't in compliance with FOPA...i.e. gun disassembled and locked in a case with ammo separated...then he broke the law. I avoid the Northeast like it was plague-ridden, but occasionally I do have to go into or through Illinois. I unload and disassemble my firearm and lock the components and ammo away in separate cases...placing them in a locked sidebox. It sucks...but, that's the law.

Forum List

Back