Labor Leaders Fear Trump May Draw Large Numbers of Union Voters

:lol:

The only explanation for your incredibly unsubtle attempt to change the topic that I can come up with is that this conversation has started to go over your head.
It was the MOST watched and reported trade deal in the world last year. FAIR game, but damn sure NOT a smart trade now was it?

You can't possibly really be this stupid. This is a joke, right?

If you support that traitor Bergdahl being released for 5 terrorists, you may as well join them traitor. You support them.

I have no opinion on the Bergdahl prisoner swap, because I'm not in a position to have all the relevant information (neither are you, or anyone else on this message board).

I'm just incredulous that DarkFury thinks that's what we're talking about when I say "trade deals".
Strange stance you are taking. I THOUGHT forums or message boards were for ALL levels of education and were about being the sharing various thoughts and how they base them.

I THOUGHT only democrats demanded certain things said certain ways.

I officially no longer have any idea of what you're talking about.

Protectionism isn't "patriotic", it's acknowledging that this country can't compete in the world economy.

Of course we can't compete...we have a first world standard of living. The average American worker makes $25 dollars an hour. The only way we can compete is if we are willing to live in hovels and make a dollar a day!
The way we compete is by educating our kids for the jobs of tomorrow, not for their daddy's jobs.

Well...a lot of their daddy's jobs involved making things. Which we don't do as much of these days....if you're not making something, but need it, and someone else is.....you're at their mercy.

We still make plenty of things, they're just not as important to our economy as they used to be.

Capital investments and American ingenuity have made it possible for less people to make more stuff.

If you want to stay in the game, you need to be educated in tomorrow's jobs. Not yesterday's. Those are gone, gone, gone. And a lot of them did not go to China. They are just gone.

risn4l.jpg

Protectionism isn't "patriotic", it's acknowledging that this country can't compete in the world economy.

Of course we can't compete...we have a first world standard of living. The average American worker makes $25 dollars an hour. The only way we can compete is if we are willing to live in hovels and make a dollar a day!
The way we compete is by educating our kids for the jobs of tomorrow, not for their daddy's jobs.

Well...a lot of their daddy's jobs involved making things. Which we don't do as much of these days....if you're not making something, but need it, and someone else is.....you're at their mercy.

We still make plenty of things, they're just not as important to our economy as they used to be.
Also wrong.

i6wlt1.gif

Look at it this way, folks. A century ago, we employed 50 percent of our population in agriculture to feed our nation.

Now, due to the wonders of technology, it only takes about 3 percent of our population to feed us, and they are producing more food than in all of human history.

What would you make of someone decrying the loss of agriculture jobs who felt we needed to employ 50 percent of the county on farms?

You'd say there were seriously misguided, yes?

It's the same thing with these demagogues and manufacturing.

Also wrong.

i6wlt1.gif

Manufacturing GDP has still gone up, but manufacturing as a percentage of total GDP has gone down.

Look at it this way, folks. A century ago, we employed 50 percent of our population in agriculture to feed our nation.

Now, due to the wonders of technology, it only takes about 3 percent of our population to feed us, and they are producing more food than in all of human history.

What would you make of someone decrying the loss of agriculture jobs who felt we needed to employ 50 percent of the county on farms?

So...what are they going to do?

Agriculture....production
Manufacture....production

Do you seriously think it's possible to survive on a service/consumer economy?

Let's travel back in time 60 years...

FARMER: What will my toddler son do when he grows up if he isn't going to be a farmer, dad blast it?

PSYCHIC: (*peers into crystal ball*) Your son is going to be in charge of the maintenance for satellite uplink/downlink terminals at Verizon.

FARMER: What's a satellite, and WHAT THE HELL IS A VERIZON!?!

PSYCHIC: I don't know, but if I were you, I'd be whipping him with a switch if he doesn't get straight A's in mathematics and science.

FARMER: Will he be handsome? Will he be rich?

PSYCHIC: Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see...

Last edited:

Of all the voters who might be expected to resist the charms of Donald J. Trump, the two million members of the Service Employees International Union would most likely be near the top of the list.

But the union’s president, Mary Kay Henry, acknowledged that Mr. Trump holds appeal even for some of her members. “There is deep economic anxiety among our members and the people we’re trying to organize that I believe Donald Trump’s message is tapping into,” Ms. Henry said.

In expressing her concern, Ms. Henry reflected a different form of anxiety that is weighing on some union leaders and Democratic operatives: their fear that Mr. Trump, if not effectively countered, may draw an unusually large number of union voters in a possible general election matchup. This could, in turn, give Republicans a boost in swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all of which Mr. Obama won twice
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/business/donald-trump-unions.html

This is a bitter pill for the Democrats and Union leaders. Trump resonates with people because he says what people are thinking.

He's saying what undereducated, uninformed and angry people are thinking.

Those filthy unwashed masses.....

:rofl:

Not to be blunt, but kinda - and I'm not limiting this to just right-winger Trump supporters. Most Americans are uninformed when it comes to civics or politics - in fact, most Americans readily admit that.

I imagine that most of them do bathe regularly, though.
Instead of retorts with facts, you have finally hit bottom and resorting to insults. I guess that is the only path open to Hillary supporters.

Of all the voters who might be expected to resist the charms of Donald J. Trump, the two million members of the Service Employees International Union would most likely be near the top of the list.

But the union’s president, Mary Kay Henry, acknowledged that Mr. Trump holds appeal even for some of her members. “There is deep economic anxiety among our members and the people we’re trying to organize that I believe Donald Trump’s message is tapping into,” Ms. Henry said.

In expressing her concern, Ms. Henry reflected a different form of anxiety that is weighing on some union leaders and Democratic operatives: their fear that Mr. Trump, if not effectively countered, may draw an unusually large number of union voters in a possible general election matchup. This could, in turn, give Republicans a boost in swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all of which Mr. Obama won twice

This is a bitter pill for the Democrats and Union leaders. Trump resonates with people because he says what people are thinking.

Not to be blunt, but kinda - and I'm not limiting this to just right-winger Trump supporters. Most Americans are uninformed when it comes to civics or politics - in fact, most Americans readily admit that.

Instead of retorts with facts, you have finally hit bottom and resorting to insults. I guess that is the only path open to Hillary supporters.

I'm not a Hillary supporter, and I didn't "insult" anyone.

Do you bathe regularly? Just checking.

Do you bathe regularly? Just checking.

Why yes, I do. Why do you ask?

Let's travel back in time 60 years...

FARMER: What will my toddler son do when he grows up if he isn't going to be a farmer, dad blast it?

PSYCHIC: (*peers into crystal ball*) Your son is going to be in charge of the maintenance for satellite uplink/downlink terminals at Verizon.

FARMER: What's a satellite, and WHAT THE HELL IS A VERIZON!?!

PSYCHIC: I don't know, but if I were you, I'd be whipping him with a switch if he doesn't get straight A's in mathematics and science.

FARMER: Will he be handsome? Will he be rich?

PSYCHIC: Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see...

Are you going to need 20 million of those?

Forum List

Back