Kukri...

what is it?
Screenshot_2021-01-26-20-53-04(1).png

10 inch plus blade.

Blues Man has convinced me I need a Kukri.

Any recommendations?

I found this 18" Kukri at a garage sale a few years ago. Nothing fancy, probably made in Pakistan. I usually see them at the gun shows. There's always that one guy at the shows who sells nothing but cheap import knives.

kukri.jpg

Any recommendations?

I found this 18" Kukri at a garage sale a few years ago. Nothing fancy, probably made in Pakistan. I usually see them at the gun shows. There's always that one guy at the shows who sells nothing but cheap import knives.

View attachment 449029
If it's not too much trouble...how thick is the spine on that one...

...and what is that firearm on the table?

Any recommendations?

View attachment 449029

The spine is 1/8" thick. The pistol is an FN Browning M1906 .25acp first variant. That's the one with the grip safety only, and no safety lever on the side. Picked it up at a garage sale last summer for $35. The guy was a liberal and wasn't really into guns, and they belonged to his dad.

Any recommendations?

View attachment 449029

The spine is 1/8" thick. The pistol is an FN Browning M1906 .25acp first variant. That's the one with the grip safety only, and no safety lever on the side. Picked it up at a garage sale last summer for $35.

Have you been able to find .25ACP ammo? I have an old Beretta Tomcat .32 and the ammo is really hard to find.

Any recommendations?

View attachment 449029

The spine is 1/8" thick. The pistol is an FN Browning M1906 .25acp first variant. That's the one with the grip safety only, and no safety lever on the side. Picked it up at a garage sale last summer for $35.

Have you been able to find .25ACP ammo? I have an old Beretta Tomcat .32 and the ammo is really hard to find.

I have about 250 rounds that I've had for a few years. Every time I see some ammo at a garage sale, I scarfed it up. I've had a couple 7.65mm (32 ACP) pistols in the past and have some ammo stashed somewhere.

When I carry a big knife (which isn't often), it's a custom Damascus steel Bowie I got as a gift years ago.
I think a Texas Toothpick is going to end up in my collection.

I always considered a hatchet as my goto for chopping...but Blues Man brought the kukri to my attention as an alternative and the internet seems to agree the kukri is a superior choice...so I'm going to give it a try and see for myself.

Like you...other than a machete for brush clearing...I've never found a good use for a huge knife. But, we live and learn. The only way to judge is to try it out.

The bowie knife may find a similar advantage. I read about it's origins from a historical perspective long ago... but didn't see a practical modern usage. We'll see how this kukri works out.

When I carry a big knife (which isn't often), it's a custom Damascus steel Bowie I got as a gift years ago.
I think a Texas Toothpick is going to end up in my collection.

I always considered a hatchet as my goto for chopping...but Blues Man brought the kukri to my attention as an alternative and the internet seems to agree the kukri is a superior choice...so I'm going to give it a try and see for myself.

Like you...other than a machete for brush clearing...I've never found a good use for a huge knife. But, we live and learn. The only way to judge is to try it out.

The bowie knife may find a similar advantage. I read about it's origins from a historical perspective long ago... but didn't see a practical modern usage. We'll see how this kukri works out.

The kukri is supposed to be good for chopping, the way the blade curves forward and is heavier near the front.

Any recommendations?

View attachment 449029

The spine is 1/8" thick. The pistol is an FN Browning M1906 .25acp first variant. That's the one with the grip safety only, and no safety lever on the side. Picked it up at a garage sale last summer for $35. The guy was a liberal and wasn't really into guns, and they belonged to his dad.
Sweet. Thanks.

There is one very similar on BudK for $35. But it doesn't say what it's made from...so I'm guessing 440.

I found one in AUS8 for $42.

I'd prefer 1055-1075...or 3Cr13...something a little softer and less brittle, but still thick spined.

Nice little gun...the back reminded me of the Colt 1903 hammerless...now I see why...

Any recommendations?

Hold up now!!!
I've been preaching the benefits of the Kukri for years on USMB!!!!

I knew what it is...and what it does...

...but I never thought of it as a replacement for a hatchet.

Like I told Blues Man, I'm of the Nessmuk School...

Screenshot_2021-01-28-20-10-43(1).png

But just an old Estwing hatchet in lieu of the double bit hand axe.

Do you also agree the Kukri is superior to the hatchet?

Cause I'm still skeptical...I'm only willing to compare them myself.

Forum List

Back