Krugman drives it home again

The grand mistake we make is to think in terms of this nation having ONE ECONOMY.

That's simply preposterous.

They should call him, Freddy Krugman Reading his dribble is zzzzzzzzzzzzz
I can kind of see why the pundits love Krugman. I mean he's in the Nobel Prize club with Obama and Gore so he gets to be an icon of the loopy-loony-lefties. At the same time, the stuff he says is so blatantly false to fact and empty that disproving his rhetoric takes so very little effort...

As a person who lived through the seventies, when we had the real "loopy-loon-lefties", let me say that Krugman is really so much in the center of economic discourse that back then he would have seen as a moderate. No radical is he!

Only in the United States would somebody like him, who espouses reasoned and researched arguments, be considered as an icon of the far out left wing camp.

They should call him, Freddy Krugman Reading his dribble is zzzzzzzzzzzzz
I can kind of see why the pundits love Krugman. I mean he's in the Nobel Prize club with Obama and Gore so he gets to be an icon of the loopy-loony-lefties. At the same time, the stuff he says is so blatantly false to fact and empty that disproving his rhetoric takes so very little effort...

As a person who lived through the seventies, when we had the real "loopy-loon-lefties", let me say that Krugman is really so much in the center of economic discourse that back then he would have seen as a moderate. No radical is he!

Only in the United States would somebody like him, who espouses reasoned and researched arguments, be considered as an icon of the far out left wing camp.

Please provide a recent example of such arguments.

As of the last several years, his whole mantra has been to abet the NYTimes in pushing a left wing agenda without telling people what they are doing.

We should pretend we were going to be invaded by space aliens

I'll turn you into a Krugmanite yet CF

this recession is different than other recessions because it started out as a depression. Wall st, the fed & their media- cnbc, abc, cbs, etc... (all shills) don't want people to do a run on the banks. The only reason it didn't mirror 1929 is because the fed has been pumping fiat $$$ into the economy pell mell. Who is ultimately going to have to pay that bill?

Krugman knows it, I know it, & the American people know it. Profits are way up not because of producing anything of value, just because of trading metaphorical scraps of paper.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Krugman's argument.

Krugman is saying companies don't mind "moderate depressions" because it keeps wages depressed. The recession started in 2008. Today, it's 2014. The average CEO has lost his job between 2008 and 2014. Boards aren't having discussions about how much they don't mind this recession. They are lamenting that they have to find growth some other way. Growing profits through cost cutting only goes so far. And it's hard. Companies would much rather grow through demand. It's easier. Krugman's argument is idiotic.

I respect Krugman as an economist on geography, but he is a hack, and sometimes a clueless one at that.
you are correct to a degree & so is Krugman. Profits, for the top 5%, are booming like its nobody's business. Did I mention that he's a Nobel Laureate? :eusa_whistle: :cool:

Last edited:
Bump.

The only thing being driven home is Paul Kruggerbutt....after he get's K.O'ed in a debate (which happens a great deal).

Did I mention that he's a Nobel Laureate? :eusa_whistle: :cool:

Krugman is a brilliant economist in his field, but his ideology clouds his judgement.

to an extent perhaps but he nailed this argument long and hard

from the OP:
So a slack economy could in effect serve as a coordinating device for firms; one way to think about it is that it keeps firms from competing too hard for workers, enabling them to exert more monopsony power. This effect would have to be weighed against the direct adverse effect of slack demand on profitability, but there’s no rule saying that firms have to do worse in a depressed economy; they could actually do better. (I’m going to try some formal modeling on all this, but if anyone else wants to jump in, be my guest.)

Last edited:

Krugman is a brilliant economist in his field, but his ideology clouds his judgement.

from the OP:
So a slack economy could in effect serve as a coordinating device for firms; one way to think about it is that it keeps firms from competing too hard for workers, enabling them to exert more monopsony power. This effect would have to be weighed against the direct adverse effect of slack demand on profitability, but there’s no rule saying that firms have to do worse in a depressed economy; they could actually do better. (I’m going to try some formal modeling on all this, but if anyone else wants to jump in, be my guest.)

This thread has gone for many many pages and that initial argument has been completely debunked.

from the OP:

Posting it again hasn't made it any less retarded than when it was posted the first time. I have never, ever heard anyone in business say that they mind recessions, except maybe bill collectors.

Krugman is a hack. It's bizarre and unworthy coming from a Nobel Laureate.

Krugman's America;

"Employees at the Excelsior Gama supermarket had set out a load of extra-soft six-roll packs so large that it nearly blocked the aisle. To stock the shelves with it would have been pointless. Soon word spread that the long-awaited rolls had arrived, and despite a government-imposed limit of one package per person, the checkout lines stretched all the way to the decimated dairy case in the back of the store.

“This is so depressing,” said Maria Plaza, 30, a lawyer, an hour and a half into her wait. “Pathetic.” …

“Soon we’ll be using newspaper, just like they do in Cuba!” said an elderly man nearby, inching forward in line. “Yeah! Like Cuba!” others shouted. …

At markets, Chavez successor falls short - The Washington Post

Yep,

Paul takes one between the eyes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPd2i4Jshs]Krugman gets p3wned on Canadian Health Care - YouTube[/ame]

Krugman is a scholar and, moreover, a statesman :cool: So back up under the porch puppies!!! :talktothehand:

Krugman is a moron and has been show as such 100 times over.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPd2i4Jshs]Krugman gets p3wned on Canadian Health Care - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back