Koyaanisqatsi

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
A friend of mine recommended that I watch this last night, saying that it would give me new perspectives on society. I didn't expect much, seeing as how he gave me this recommendation after telling me that a solar flare resulting in the destruction of all communication sattellites would be good for us (especially the accompanied destruction of the internet), but that argument's one for another thread. Anyway, this movie.

I came in with low expectations. I do this with a lot of movies, since it actually allows me to enjoy them when they surpass my expectations, even if they aren't that good. This movie, however, is total crap. It's a subtle propagand film that's also what I refer to as one of "The Emporer's New Movies," that is, a movie that is complete and utter boring crap with no substance, but everyone pretends it's this great work of art so their friends will think it's artsy. It's like one of those "paintings" that's just a canvas with one color of paint covering it. It's not minimalism, it's crap. My grandpa used to do that to whole houses and make less in a year than what these arrogant snobs want for it.

Okay, enough with that rant. All this movie is, the entire content, beginning to end, is just footage of places in America set to crappy, new age music. It starts by showing wide shots and flybys of what looks like the western U.S., it's desert with some lakes in it. The whole time, the crappy new age music is in a happy, magestic mood. Then, the rest of the movie shows industrial complexes, highways, urban sprawl, and other products of society while the music switches between chaotic, sad and depressed, angry, or just plain sick. The point of the movie seems to be to convince you that society and technology are a blight on this planet while making you think you came to that conclusion on your own. I simply found it to be 90 minutes of boring footage with crappy music. I'd have to be doing a fortune in drugs to enjoy this movie. Seriously, it's about as exciting as watching grass grow, only grass doesn't seem like it's trying to guilt you out of mowing it.

So, in conclusion, I want my frickin' 90 minutes back.

Before you ask, the title is a Hopi word with a meaning somewhere close to "a lifestyle in turmoil" or "a lifestyle in need of change." I says so on the back of the movie, anyway. Go figure.

Forum List

Back