Knock-around gun...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Still working on my modified single shot NEF Pardner 12 gauge.

I've had this shotgun for almost 20 years, and I hardly ever used it anymore, so I decided to convert it to a knock around truck/canoe/backpacking gun.

I shortened the barrel to 18.5 inches, rented an choke reamer and tap set to allow for Winchoke choke tubes, and added a Tru Glo sight. It already had the limbsaver.

I patterned it at the range on Saturday, and it is perfect...with #7.5 shot 2.75 inch shells it put 90% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 55 yards thru a turkey choke and 90% @ 30 yards with modified choke.

It performed equally well with #4 and #1 buckshot in 2.75, but I think I will need low recoil #1 buckshot and slugs, cuz it kicks like a mule at only 3 pounds in overall weight.

I think I'm going to add a Survivor Series forend. It has storage for choke tubes and a 12 gauge to 20 gauge adapter.

Also looking at making a leather and Kydex shell holder and weave a paracord sling...we'll see.

178f00c7-3c92-442b-a5e0-452a31b8d4ec_zpscc689138.jpg

I've had this shotgun for almost 20 years, and I hardly ever used it anymore, so I decided to convert it to a knock around truck/canoe/backpacking gun.

I shortened the barrel to 18.5 inches, rented an choke reamer and tap set to allow for Winchoke choke tubes, and added a Tru Glo sight. It already had the limbsaver.

I patterned it at the range on Saturday, and it is perfect...with #7.5 shot 2.75 inch shells it put 90% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 55 yards thru a turkey choke and 90% @ 30 yards with modified choke.

It performed equally well with #4 and #1 buckshot in 2.75, but I think I will need low recoil #1 buckshot and slugs, cuz it kicks like a mule at only 3 pounds in overall weight.

I think I'm going to add a Survivor Series forend. It has storage for choke tubes and a 12 gauge to 20 gauge adapter.

Also looking at making a leather and Kydex shell holder and weave a paracord sling...we'll see.

Not bad. Starting to get into flintlocks myself. Considering doing a southwest trader, mountain man impression for living history. Here's what I'm looking at as possibly my next piece.

baker1.jpg

1806 British Baker Rifle
62 caliber

Many of these were sold to the Hudson Bay Company, were used by the Brits at the Battle of New Orleans and the Mexicans at the Alamo and San Jacinto where Huston beat Santa Anna.

Very nice. I have roughly 10 minutes total experience with black powder firearms...a friends Colt Navy Revolver...but one day soon I'm going to build a "Kentucky" Long Rifle.

I did the same thing to an ironically named Sears gun called "long tom" that just took up space. I looked up the legal limit and got out my hack saw. We live in a hot spot for rabbis and a year later my freaking tractor was attacked by a crazy fox while I was bushogging. The old short barreled hunk of junk 12 ga loaded with #4 hanging by bailing twine from my fender came in pretty handy.

The point is that you can do a lot of "legal" stuff to a firearm in order to convert into the tool you need. Federal statutes indicate how short you can cut a rifle or a shotgun and the lengths are different and you better be aware of it. A hacksaw is a good start on converting an old single barrel shotgun into a defensive weapon or a utility tool. Old single barrel shotguns are usually reliable and symbols of simple 30's technology. You have a lever that breaks down the barrel for loading and a hammer that needs to be cocked for the trigger to work.

Not bad. Starting to get into flintlocks myself. Considering doing a southwest trader, mountain man impression for living history. Here's what I'm looking at as possibly my next piece.

baker1.jpg

1806 British Baker Rifle
62 caliber

Many of these were sold to the Hudson Bay Company, were used by the Brits at the Battle of New Orleans and the Mexicans at the Alamo and San Jacinto where Huston beat Santa Anna.

I always thought the Baker looked quite jaeger rifle like, but without the class. I like NW trade guns. I ordered one from North Star West in 20 ga . I hope it gets finished and shipped in time for doves.

Very nice. I have roughly 10 minutes total experience with black powder firearms...a friends Colt Navy Revolver...but one day soon I'm going to build a "Kentucky" Long Rifle.

I like the Pennsylvania and Lancaster long rifles over the Kentucky. Much more elegant though a lot more expensive but I wouldn't say no to a Kentucky long rifle though I would probably get a non-mass produced stock for it.

Another awesome one is the Northwest Trade Gun.

1.+NW+Trade+Gun+full+72.jpg

I notice the blurring of the difference between black power and modern shotgun loads. Please be aware that using modern smokeless powder in a black power weapon might kill you and using black powder anywhere is dangerous. As a matter of fact modern smokeless propellants differ in pressure variations so much that you need to study the ballistic charts before you even think about reloading your own stuff.

I notice the blurring of the difference between black power and modern shotgun loads. Please be aware that using modern smokeless powder in a black power weapon might kill you and using black powder anywhere is dangerous. As a matter of fact modern smokeless propellants differ in pressure variations so much that you need to study the ballistic charts before you even think about reloading your own stuff.

Along those lines, here is an interesting video from Dave Canterbury where he muzzle loads a single shot NEF Pardner 12 Gauge:

[youtube]ES59LtA7XE8[/youtube]

Who would think about filling a primed shotgun shell with black powder? What's the point? It's most likely illegal to use on big game. It ain't healthy to mix smokeless with black powder in any venue.

Who would think about filling a primed shotgun shell with black powder? What's the point? It's most likely illegal to use on big game. It ain't healthy to mix smokeless with black powder in any venue.
The concept is interesting, but I don't see the practicality...you aren't saving weight over conventional shot shells. I suppose just the fact that it can be done.

If one was to find oneself out of ammo, but conveniently close to a bat infested lead and sulfur mine in the forest, having some primers may well come in handy. :thup:

The concept is interesting, but I don't see the practicality...you aren't saving weight over conventional shot shells. I suppose just the fact that it can be done.

If one was to find oneself out of ammo, but conveniently close to a bat infested lead and sulfur mine in the forest, having some primers may well come in handy. :thup:

You can make black powder from relatively easy to find stuff but you would have a hard time making fulminate of mercury and jamming the volatile stuff in a brass cap so it's an experiment in futility to convert smokeless weapons to black powder. It's an easier scenario in an apocalyptic situation to go the other way. My concern is that some (shall we say) urban types still ain't got a clue about the difference between black and smokeless power.

You can make black powder from relatively easy to find stuff but you would have a hard time making fulminate of mercury and jamming the volatile stuff in a brass cap so it's an experiment in futility to convert smokeless weapons to black powder. It's an easier scenario in an apocalyptic situation to go the other way. My concern is that some (shall we say) urban types still ain't got a clue about the difference between black and smokeless power.

Hopefully, urban types would have the sense to do some research before...they...

...nevermind.

Anyway, my understanding was one could use potassium chlorate and sulfur as a substitute for fulminate of mercury in an emergency situation.

The US Army Publication TM 31-210 recommends crushed heads from "strike anywhere" matches as a primer material.

I have the same NEF hammer-gun in .20ga. that takes a 3" shell. I bought a RIFLED .357 barrel insert for it and it's pretty accurate out to 30 meters.

20 GA. Adapter for 38 Special, .357 CAL

I have the same NEF hammer-gun in .20ga. that takes a 3" shell. I bought a RIFLED .357 barrel insert for it and it's pretty accurate out to 30 meters.

20 GA. Adapter for 38 Special, .357 CAL

You know you can still have factory barrels fitted to that old 20 gauge, even if it is an SB-1 type (older: see the link).

Mine is an SB-1...it will take any shotgun barrel except 10 gauge..12, 20, 28 .410 and .410/45 colt, plus 357, 44 mag and 50 cal muzzle loader barrels.

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

Last edited:
I bought an H&R yesterday that came with the ATI pistol-grip stock and fore end...added it to the gun.

Looks good...but now it's weigh it down to like 2.5 lbs.

Going to take it to the patterning range and see if it kicks too hard to shoot.

Yes, it's still legal length.

2168c96d-0f7d-48a7-a0a2-652bb7517387_zpsb76f7bbb.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back