CDZ Kites

Yeah. I think so. They had real wood sticks? Those ones?

Haven't heard the words five and dime in decades. Gosh. I'm getting old.

Gosh. I'm actually tearing up over here. I grew up in the 70s in a small town in the rural midwest. Our "five and dime" was in an old downtown area, in one of those buildings constructed in the late 1800s. The wood floors would creak like heck in spots when you walked on it. The owner knew you, knew your parents, would greet you by name when you biked there to buy a Snickers bar in the summer

I feel 200 years old right now

But anyway--seeing the kites in the thread, our kites were a bit different in the 70s when I was in elem. school. But they were still relatively popular. I wouldn't say hugely so, though.

Gosh. I'm actually tearing up over here. I grew up in the 70s in a small town in the rural midwest. Our "five and dime" was in an old downtown area, in one of those buildings constructed in the late 1800s. The wood floors would creak like heck in spots when you walked on it. The owner knew you, knew your parents, would greet you by name when you biked there to buy a Snickers bar in the summer

But anyway--seeing the kites in the thread, our kites were a bit different in the 70s when I was in elem. school. But they were still relatively popular. I wouldn't say hugely so, though.

Eeeyep. I know what you mean.

Here's the little town where I grew up. Well, it was the closest town, we could walk to it from the other side of the mountain.

Pretty small town nestled there at the bottom of the surrounding mountains. It still looks exactly the same.

damaerial1.jpg

Think the old five and dime store might be a dollar store now. It's down there on the left...

1b8eb745b6b4326e0c9b725fdd55285f.jpg

There was a homemade ice cream store, a candy store, a real life soda shop.

Eeeyep. I know what you mean.

Here's the little town where I grew up. Well, it was the closest town, we could walk to it from the other side of the mountain.

Pretty small town nestled there at the bottom of the surrounding mountains. It still looks exactly the same.

damaerial1.jpg

Think the old five and dime store might be a dollar store now. It's down there on the left...

1b8eb745b6b4326e0c9b725fdd55285f.jpg

There was a homemade ice cream store, a candy store, a real life soda shop.

Oh my what a beautiful place. Americana

Anybody remember the old balsa stick tissue kites they used to sell come early spring at the five and dimes? And the artwork they had on them?
when I was a kid everyspring ment new baseball cleets, and a new kight as well as some new fishing tackle. The only thing I liked beter every year was turning the jeans into cut offs after the last day of school. We made the cutting of the jeans a ritchual. My freinds and i would gather and do it together as a kick off to the summer.

I remember the old kites very well.
But they dont hold a candle to the new carbon fiber monsters of today.
I had one about ten years ago with a six and half foot wingspan and the duall lines so you could do tricks with it. If I remember correctly it ran for around $200 bucks.
You couldn't fly it if the winds were to high unless you tied yourself off to the truck or some other sturdy point.
I was drug down the beach several times by the thing.
If you were in grass you could stand on a piece of cardboard and ski behind it.

Yeah I am 65, remember well.

Want old stuff, go to ebay punch in "old kites" Very reasonable

I also flew Box kites and speed kites on west Wa state shores.

Forum List

Back