Kilowatt hour testing on electric blankets......

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Did some KWH testing to see if turning down the thermostat and covering up with an EB might be helpful this winter for your heating bills.
Remember that the relationship between your temp setting in your house and the total cost of heating the house are definitely related based
on the basic laws of thermodynamics wherein Q is a product of Delta T.... ( Total heat transfer is a result of total temperature difference ) even a well insulated home ( not sure about the new passive homes ) will leak heat to a sink ( being the cold exterior ) based on the TTD....the better the insulation the slower the process but the process remains nevertheless.

View attachment 565248 h equal to the HT coefficient ( assignable according to the material being used to insulate ) A equal to total area in square meters and Delta T being measured in Kelvin scale.

View attachment 565260 Let's assign a material.....wood for instance to the diagram. The average Thermal conductivity is about .15 (SI units) so if you want to run 68 F in your house ( 293k) on a day where the ambient temperature outside was 28 F ( 270k) and wood was your insulator this is what you would be looking at....

Total Heat Transfer in watts ( moment by moment) is .15 (1 square meter* 23) or 3.45 watts per moment ( a second will do) per square meter. The Greater the number in the parentheses the greater the transfer and the larger your energy usage. 28 works out to 4.2 watts ( if you opted for 78 degrees in your house ) ..... you can see where this is going....if you opted for 58 F for night time you would reduce to 2.55 watts or 27% less energy wasted to external transfer. On the new typical energy bill 27% can add up very quickly. The problem of course is that most people are not comfortable at 58F But! What about covering up a little more?

I decided to try it. using several different models of Electric blankets ( which also use energy) to see if they made the difference in comfort. Using my average heating bill per day ( I have a big place...poorly insulated .....my preference.....and a big heating bill to go with it if I decide to run a 68 F for the duration. But what do I save with 58F and will I be comfortable and is it worth the electricity? The answer is a lot...yes and yes again.... If I use the full measure of a 28 day month of hours typical heat use equal to approx $600.00 ( based on the new energy rates ) lets say I run at 58F from 9pm to 9am and therefore cut out 27% of the usage waste for that period. Daily cost about 22 bucks or 11 bucks per 12 hours looks like ...11-8.03 or $2.97 per day....$83.00 per month. Cost of electric blanket on highest setting for 12 hours is about .05kwh/hour *12 or .6 KWH which is most parts of the country is about 30 cents these days ( ridiculous! ) so your total cost savings is at $2.67/day$74.75/month....but I'm not done.

Next I tried using a blanket over the EB to keep all the heat going toward the bed and I put a space blanket ( High R factor ) under the sheets which took the total usage of the EB from .05kwh/hour to .03kwh per hour or a 40 percent increase in savings. This brings us to $107.50 in savings per month on the bill...which is still a monster but that's my own fault.

A good EB is about 80 bucks....so it pays for itself ( for me ) in less than a month....and....it was quite comfortable. Is it worth it??....it probably is.

JO

Zero cost for sleeping heat, all winter long. The human body can generate the heat required. Badger has slept in 17 deg. below zero with no problems.

Zero cost for sleeping heat, all winter long. The human body can generate the heat required. Badger has slept in 17 deg. below zero with no problems.
I believe you.... Do you use insulated coverings.....?

JO

I've always dreamed of living at a river and having a water wheel generator. That would be some very inexpensive electricity. Maybe have a parking spot at the top of a water wheel too, so I could regen all night to recharge my car...

Btw, nice calculations on the electric blankets.

Did some KWH testing to see if turning down the thermostat and covering up with an EB might be helpful this winter for your heating bills.
Remember that the relationship between your temp setting in your house and the total cost of heating the house are definitely related based
on the basic laws of thermodynamics wherein Q is a product of Delta T.... ( Total heat transfer is a result of total temperature difference ) even a well insulated home ( not sure about the new passive homes ) will leak heat to a sink ( being the cold exterior ) based on the TTD....the better the insulation the slower the process but the process remains nevertheless.

View attachment 565248 h equal to the HT coefficient ( assignable according to the material being used to insulate ) A equal to total area in square meters and Delta T being measured in Kelvin scale.

View attachment 565260 Let's assign a material.....wood for instance to the diagram. The average Thermal conductivity is about .15 (SI units) so if you want to run 68 F in your house ( 293k) on a day where the ambient temperature outside was 28 F ( 270k) and wood was your insulator this is what you would be looking at....

Total Heat Transfer in watts ( moment by moment) is .15 (1 square meter* 23) or 3.45 watts per moment ( a second will do) per square meter. The Greater the number in the parentheses the greater the transfer and the larger your energy usage. 28 works out to 4.2 watts ( if you opted for 78 degrees in your house ) ..... you can see where this is going....if you opted for 58 F for night time you would reduce to 2.55 watts or 27% less energy wasted to external transfer. On the new typical energy bill 27% can add up very quickly. The problem of course is that most people are not comfortable at 58F But! What about covering up a little more?

I decided to try it. using several different models of Electric blankets ( which also use energy) to see if they made the difference in comfort. Using my average heating bill per day ( I have a big place...poorly insulated .....my preference.....and a big heating bill to go with it if I decide to run a 68 F for the duration. But what do I save with 58F and will I be comfortable and is it worth the electricity? The answer is a lot...yes and yes again.... If I use the full measure of a 28 day month of hours typical heat use equal to approx $600.00 ( based on the new energy rates ) lets say I run at 58F from 9pm to 9am and therefore cut out 27% of the usage waste for that period. Daily cost about 22 bucks or 11 bucks per 12 hours looks like ...11-8.03 or $2.97 per day....$83.00 per month. Cost of electric blanket on highest setting for 12 hours is about .05kwh/hour *12 or .6 KWH which is most parts of the country is about 30 cents these days ( ridiculous! ) so your total cost savings is at $2.67/day$74.75/month....but I'm not done.

Next I tried using a blanket over the EB to keep all the heat going toward the bed and I put a space blanket ( High R factor ) under the sheets which took the total usage of the EB from .05kwh/hour to .03kwh per hour or a 40 percent increase in savings. This brings us to $107.50 in savings per month on the bill...which is still a monster but that's my own fault.

A good EB is about 80 bucks....so it pays for itself ( for me ) in less than a month....and....it was quite comfortable. Is it worth it??....it probably is.

JO
What the heck? The Attachments must have been copyrighted or something I guess. OH Well....

A good comforter paired with another blanket can keep you warm even with the heat off.

The wife and I love it to be cold in the bedroom for sleeping. Last winter it got so cold in the room that I had to buy a cover for my CPAP hose as my breath was causing condensation in the hose due to the cold in the room, but we were always toasty warm under the blanket and comforter. My wife would then use a small space heater in the bathroom as she was getting ready for work.

I've always dreamed of living at a river and having a water wheel generator. That would be some very inexpensive electricity. Maybe have a parking spot at the top of a water wheel too, so I could regen all night to recharge my car...

Btw, nice calculations on the electric blankets.
I love the water wheel Idea

A good comforter paired with another blanket can keep you warm even with the heat off.

The wife and I love it to be cold in the bedroom for sleeping. Last winter it got so cold in the room that I had to buy a cover for my CPAP hose as my breath was causing condensation in the hose due to the cold in the room, but we were always toasty warm under the blanket and comforter. My wife would then use a small space heater in the bathroom as she was getting ready for work.
It's healthier I think.

I believe you.... Do you use insulated coverings.....?

JO
Yes, much insulation. So we see with Rivian: are they going to leave their vehicles out in the cold and debauch all that marvelous hard-won lithium? Badger won’t. The battery goes inside the bag, the woman will just have to deal with it.

Still relies on the grid:

Rivian Map

With a battery-vending idea on the e-bike highway, mom and pop have already charged the batteries for you when you arrive at the station. There is no waiting. Duh

Yes, much insulation. So we see with Rivian: are they going to leave their vehicles out in the cold and debauch all that marvelous hard-won lithium? Badger won’t. The battery goes inside the bag, the woman will just have to deal with it.

Still relies on the grid:

Rivian Map

With a battery-vending idea on the e-bike highway, mom and pop have already charged the batteries for you when you arrive at the station. There is no waiting. Duh
Yeah....much better Idea I think.
Interchangeable batteries...snap one out snap another one in...

What's the range on a E-bike these days.....you talking Motorcycle style or cross country style?

JO

JO
You have the option of plugging the blanket into a power station such as a Jackery that has been charged with a solar panel, like badger’s e-bikes. For what you give the Grid Pimp, you can own multiple power stations and start your own Rivian recharging business. No waiting.

You have the option of plugging the blanket into a power station such as a Jackery that has been charged with a solar panel, like badger’s e-bikes. For what you give the Grid Pimp, you can own multiple power stations and start your own Rivian recharging business. No waiting.
Yeah the blankets would work fine on battery power....its a good idea....gonna look into that. I have refused all offers for solar panels even though I have a thirty square south facing roof....don't want them unless they are stand alone. No grid attachments that can be taxed or measured or somehow controlled remotely....but the locals have been bribed by the Grid demons to forbid free standing in the city limits...as the Green scammers run billions in duplicate transmission lines the supply part of the metered bill continues to eclipse the actual usage it is now a full 10% greater and is heading up to 50% greater by the time they are done with their bullshit.

JO

Electric blankets give me nightmares for some reason. Always have. Anyway, when I was in grad school in the northeast I used to keep the heat on 59 because at 56 the pipes started freezing LOL.

Yeah....much better Idea I think.
Interchangeable batteries...snap one out snap another one in...

What's the range on a E-bike these days.....you talking Motorcycle style or cross country style?

JO
Ranges vary, usually 20-40 miles. The Italian Favaloro bike has 124 mile range. Two batteries are worth the extra weight, and if you have a solar panel going on the vehicle that is charging the power station, the power station can be the second battery or even the third battery. An EG Oahu looks like a street bike but can go cross-country (across snowy fields, etc). Nebraska because there is more solar than Wisconsin and there is wind. Much of Route 30 already has an “e-bike lane” almost across the entire state. Badger proposes this as the first U.S. solar-wind recharging e-bike expressway, which can wend its way over to Colorado or to Door County, Wisconsin. Developing the wind corridor in Minnesota and windy Iowa for navigation of those treacherous hills offers possibilities to own your vehicle and the means to recharge it. Duh

Electric blankets give me nightmares for some reason. Always have. Anyway, when I was in grad school in the northeast I used to keep the heat on 59 because at 56 the pipes started freezing LOL.
Badger has weaned from pipes. This weaning will demand that liquids and perishables are kept separate from the body not using the electric blanket. A small bottle of water in the sleeping bag and of course, since bathroom plumbing has been left behind, the woman will just have to deal with the trusty night bottle. Fur hats. Fake fur hats.

Yeah the blankets would work fine on battery power....its a good idea....gonna look into that. I have refused all offers for solar panels even though I have a thirty square south facing roof....don't want them unless they are stand alone. No grid attachments that can be taxed or measured or somehow controlled remotely....but the locals have been bribed by the Grid demons to forbid free standing in the city limits...as the Green scammers run billions in duplicate transmission lines the supply part of the metered bill continues to eclipse the actual usage it is now a full 10% greater and is heading up to 50% greater by the time they are done with their bullshit.
There’s a local that has free-standing panels, maybe more than 30 sq. ft. They put out a sign: “Go Solar!” Not sure about all models, but the Jackery power station turns off after some hours, so a separate timer and solenoid can remedy this problem while sleeping. This seems like a worthwhile project, because even heating pads turn off after two hours or so.

JO
They make 5 small attached heat pad that use usb (5watts), put in clothes and on the bed at night while using a 350 watt personal space heater, along with layers of clothes and thermals underneath should allow one comfort at 55 degree home temps, but it's your nose freezing that will always be the problem unless you have that radiant heat as close as allowable or tolerable. I tried this in a cabin with no heating system.

They make 5 small attached heat pad that use usb (5watts), put in clothes and on the bed at night while using a 350 watt personal space heater, along with layers of clothes and thermals underneath should allow one comfort at 55 degree home temps, but it's your nose freezing that will always be the problem unless you have that radiant heat as close as allowable or tolerable. I tried this in a cabin with no heating system.
hahaha....yes the nose! I fixed that by going totally under...... my ambient is the room was 40 degrees...not like Mr Badger who does the Jeremiah Johnson Thing at 17 degrees.....but close enough for me.

JO

hahaha....yes the nose! I fixed that by going totally under...... my ambient is the room was 40 degrees...not like Mr Badger who does the Jeremiah Johnson Thing at 17 degrees.....but close enough for me.

JO
Your body can handle the low temps better if you lower the temp 1 degree each couple days till you reach the uncomfortable point or goal temp. I solved the nose tip freeze with a mask, but the mask ends up to tight and uncomfortable on my big Jewish nose. *L*

Forum List

Back