Kids' first day of school may not happen.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I’m 73 and I can still remember my first day of school. I had brand new shoes and my mother scolded me for scuffing them on the sidewalk. The school was about a half mile from our house in Marlborough NH and we walked. The mothers all stood at the back of the room while we were assigned a desk and they were told to discreetly go into another room while we copied what was on the blackboard. If a kid cried when mom was gone then it apparently meant that that kid was not yet mature enough for school.

I didn’t cry. I was fastidiously writing 1952, the first thing I ever wrote! I chose that because it was easier than drawing the birthday cake next to it. I remember the teacher’s name; it was Miss Clark. She was nice and I did not cry or even notice that my mother was already back home.

After 68 years I remember the names of all the teachers I had from first through the sixth grade. I remember those names because they were goddesses giving me gifts I would need to get through life. ABC was huge! Once I memorized the alphabet and the pronunciation of each letter, I could make words! The same was true of numbers. I had to learn each number before I could use them. It was tedious but those goddesses instilled those numbers into my brain and never complained. They smiled a lot and gave encouragement. I learned the words; I learned the numbers!

Today we are under a cloud where corporations are people and innocent kids might get deprived of the wonderful rite of passage I got as a child. That saddens me as a great grandfather. Nefarious politics may steal the first day of school from kids that have no idea what a teacher’s union even is. Using vulnerable children as a political football to unseat a president is about as low as anyone could go.

Harry Truman was president on my first day of school and I guess I was lucky there were no public sector unions going after him. I learned enough about numbers to know that most teachers and most kids are in no danger from a virus that all but exclusively kills elderly people with underlying health issues.

Schools need to reopen on time this year.

Last edited:
I’m 73 and I can still remember my first day of school. I had brand new shoes and my mother scolded me for scuffing them on the sidewalk. The school was about a half mile from our house in Marlborough NH and we walked. The mothers all stood at the back of the room while we were assigned a desk and they were told to discreetly go into another room while we copied what was on the blackboard. If a kid cried when mom was gone then it apparently meant that that kid was not yet mature enough for school.

I didn’t cry. I was fastidiously writing 1952, the first thing I ever wrote! I chose that because it was easier than drawing the birthday cake next to it. I remember the teacher’s name; it was Miss Clark. She was nice and I did not cry or even notice that my mother was already back home.

After 68 years I remember the names of all the teachers I had from first through the sixth grade. I remember those names because they were goddesses giving me gifts I would need to get through life. ABC was huge! Once I memorized the alphabet and the pronunciation of each letter, I could make words! The same was true of numbers. I had to learn each number before I could use them. It was tedious but those goddesses instilled those numbers into my brain and never complained. They smiled a lot and gave encouragement. I learned the words; I learned the numbers!

Today we are under a cloud where corporations are people and innocent kids might get deprived of the wonderful rite of passage I got as a child. That saddens me as a great grandfather. Nefarious politics may steal the first day of school from kids that have no idea what a teacher’s union even is. Using vulnerable children as a political football to unseat a president is about as low as anyone could go.

Dwight Eisenhower was president on my first day of school and I guess I was lucky there were no public sector unions going after him. I learned enough about numbers to know that most teachers and most kids are in no danger from a virus that all but exclusively kills elderly people with underlying health issues.

This is wonderful nostalgia. I too remember my first day of school in 1971. But I distinctly remember (as I'm sure was the case in 1952) there was no outbreak of a virus that had infected over 3.2 million people and killed over 136K+that seems to be more contagious than any virus that's come down the pipe in our lifetime. You need to pay closer attention to the fact that they still don't know 100% if younger children are less susceptible to both getting the virus and transmitting it. Especially to their parents, grandparents, and teachers.
No administrator who wants to keep their job or risk a giant lawsuit is going to send kids and teachers back with no precautions while most states infection rates are still rising. Like it or not, most schools will start out online this year. If people start taking personal responsibility seriously and the infection rates fall for a few months, you'll see kids back in the classroom. Where, yes, they belong.

And lest you think that teachers are willing to be sacrificial lambs, guess again.

Dwight Eisenhower was president on my first day of school and I guess I was lucky there were no public sector unions going after him. I learned enough about numbers to know that most teachers and most kids are in no danger from a virus that all but exclusively kills elderly people with underlying health issues.

This is wonderful nostalgia. I too remember my first day of school in 1971. But I distinctly remember (as I'm sure was the case in 1952) there was no outbreak of a virus that had infected over 3.2 million people and killed over 136K+that seems to be more contagious than any virus that's come down the pipe in our lifetime. You need to pay closer attention to the fact that they still don't know 100% if younger children are less susceptible to both getting the virus and transmitting it. Especially to their parents, grandparents, and teachers.
No administrator who wants to keep their job or risk a giant lawsuit is going to send kids and teachers back with no precautions while most states infection rates are still rising. Like it or not, most schools will start out online this year. If people start taking personal responsibility seriously and the infection rates fall for a few months, you'll see kids back in the classroom. Where, yes, they belong.

And lest you think that teachers are willing to be sacrificial lambs, guess again.

Measles had a higher death rate when I had my first day of kindergarten in 1961. I got measles the following year in 1962. Polio was in decline in then, but still a worry. Mumps and German measles and Chicken Pox I got them all.

And they packed us into crowded classrooms. I remember attending kindergarten in government school- learned how to do square dancing, and painting on an easel. I excelled at nap time in a room with 45 or 50 kids.

Later on, in 1st grade, at the local parochial school, the young nun Sister Bernadette had to control 60 kids and did a tremendous job. teaching us math and reading and religion.

Measles had a higher death rate when I had my first day of kindergarten in 1961. I got measles the following year in 1962. Polio was in decline in then, but still a worry. Mumps and German measles and Chicken Pox I got them all.

And they packed us into crowded classrooms. I remember attending kindergarten in government school- learned how to do square dancing, and painting on an easel. I excelled at nap time in a room with 45 or 50 kids.

Later on, in 1st grade, at the local parochial school, the young nun Sister Bernadette had to control 60 kids and did a tremendous job. teaching us math and reading and religion.

Kewl...there's been a proven measles vaccine since 1963. What's your point here?

Kewl...there's been a proven measles vaccine since 1963. What's your point here?

The point is that the FACT that there wasn't a measles vaccine, didn't deter me from attending school- even though the disease was prevalent and had a very high death rate.

The point is that the FACT that there wasn't a measles vaccine, didn't deter me from attending school- even though the disease was prevalent and had a very high death rate.

Oh Lordy...the death toll comparison wasn't close, even in the late 50's and early 60's before the vaccine was available....sigh....

If they do go back provide the staff with gowns, masks, face shields, and gloves. If it scares the kids too dang bad.

If they do go back provide the staff with gowns, masks, face shields, and gloves. If it scares the kids too dang bad.

And social distancing. I'm down with this. But...there are a lot of teachers in school districts that have to buy their own school supplies every year for their students because the US has devalued and defunded public education.
So now, given the shortage of PPE, you want to make teachers responsible for this too? Not feasible.

Forum List

Back