Katrina is history now.

I used to make it to New Orleans two or three times a year on business, but I haven't been back after Katrina. I owned a building in Pascagoula that was severely damaged and was down there to oversee the salvage and repair. What I saw has prevented me from going back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast or New Orleans since, except for one trip to Biloxi. Folks with family, friends, or businesses affected by Katrina may have a hard time visiting the area. We remember how it was and how long it took to recover from Camille.

However much I respect Donna Brazile, I have to note that a lot of area residents do not have the feelings toward Bush 41 and most of the other public officials who made a debacle of the recovery effort. The same thing happened with the BP oil spill. No one covered themselves in glory, although some tried a lot harder than others. There were a lot of decent people who gave not only cash and resources but time and caring; and these are the ones everyone remembers. During Katrina I was at my house in Jackson. During the 8 days the power was off, a grocery store owned by the McCarty-Holman Company that was vacant near my house donated the use of the facility as a staging area for food assistance for the Gulf Coast. There was a gas station on the premises which was placed back in service and gas donated for the eighteen wheelers that would convoy supplies to the Coast. Donations from across the nation were directed there to be unloaded and reloaded for specific destinations. South of Hattiesburg, Highway 49 was made one way and only emergency vehicles and supply convoys were allowed through to Gulfport for about fifteen days. The warehouse was staffed by volunteers from the Methodist Church who ran the local food bank system. The only government participation in this that I saw was the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

Anybody else have any recollections?

Hurricane Katrina's devastation and the bungled rescue efforts are seared in the national memory. Bush's "heckuva job" remark turned into a byword for government incompetence and public distrust. The shallowness of it coming at such a terrible and low point left deep wounds that are still healing. That was what it was.

You didn't hear this kind of stuff after Sandy for a reason. In fact, the only really evil stuff was when Republicans, like Cantor started suggesting you should pay to be rescued.

My older sister, Sheila -- people sometimes thought we were twins, we looked so much alike -- was in an assisted care home. Sheila developed a brain tumor in childhood. Brain surgery left her needing help, although she still managed to finish high school and college. When FEMA officials told me it might be weeks before we found Sheila, I was furious.

I wonder if Sheila is one of the hundreds of thousands of women in Louisiana who don't have health care? None who buy their own insurance have maternity care because it's not offered. Most don't offer hospital. Course, no pre existing conditions. Republicans want to keep it that way.

Hurricane Katrina's devastation and the bungled rescue efforts are seared in the national memory. Bush's "heckuva job" remark turned into a byword for government incompetence and public distrust. The shallowness of it coming at such a terrible and low point left deep wounds that are still healing. That was what it was.

You didn't hear this kind of stuff after Sandy for a reason. In fact, the only really evil stuff was when Republicans, like Cantor started suggesting you should pay to be rescued.

My older sister, Sheila -- people sometimes thought we were twins, we looked so much alike -- was in an assisted care home. Sheila developed a brain tumor in childhood. Brain surgery left her needing help, although she still managed to finish high school and college. When FEMA officials told me it might be weeks before we found Sheila, I was furious.

I wonder if Sheila is one of the hundreds of thousands of women in Louisiana who don't have health care? None who buy their own insurance have maternity care because it's not offered. Most don't offer hospital. Course, no pre existing conditions. Republicans want to keep it that way.

STFU yankee .....
Sandy was,and still is a train wreck.

STFU yankee .....

Of course, it was a hurricane. But how many died from neglect? Nearly two thousand under Bush.

• Banned

STFU yankee .....

Of course, it was a hurricane. But how many died from neglect? Nearly two thousand under Bush.

What blame do you give to Mayor Nagin or Governor Blanco?

What should Bush have done that he didn't do?

STFU yankee .....

FEMA.

070723_trailor_hmed_2p.grid-6x2.jpg

Just a few of the no bid carcinogenic trailers Bush tried to put the survivors into.

I used to make it to New Orleans two or three times a year on business, but I haven't been back after Katrina. I owned a building in Pascagoula that was severely damaged and was down there to oversee the salvage and repair. What I saw has prevented me from going back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast or New Orleans since, except for one trip to Biloxi. Folks with family, friends, or businesses affected by Katrina may have a hard time visiting the area. We remember how it was and how long it took to recover from Camille.

However much I respect Donna Brazile, I have to note that a lot of area residents do not have the feelings toward Bush 41 and most of the other public officials who made a debacle of the recovery effort. The same thing happened with the BP oil spill. No one covered themselves in glory, although some tried a lot harder than others. There were a lot of decent people who gave not only cash and resources but time and caring; and these are the ones everyone remembers. During Katrina I was at my house in Jackson. During the 8 days the power was off, a grocery store owned by the McCarty-Holman Company that was vacant near my house donated the use of the facility as a staging area for food assistance for the Gulf Coast. There was a gas station on the premises which was placed back in service and gas donated for the eighteen wheelers that would convoy supplies to the Coast. Donations from across the nation were directed there to be unloaded and reloaded for specific destinations. South of Hattiesburg, Highway 49 was made one way and only emergency vehicles and supply convoys were allowed through to Gulfport for about fifteen days. The warehouse was staffed by volunteers from the Methodist Church who ran the local food bank system. The only government participation in this that I saw was the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

Anybody else have any recollections?
Katrina should be a lesson to America in how not to handle a national disaster. Although I have lived in New Orleans for some years, I was not there when Katrina hit. It appeared to me that Governor Kathleen Blanco, Mayor Ray Nagin, and President Bush didn't have the foggiest idea what to do. Worst of all FEMA didn't either.

The most important element in recovering from a disaster is coordination of resources and that just didn't happen with Katrina.

My brother-in-law had serve roof damage. I few into New Orleans a few weeks after the storm. It seemed every other home had blue tarps on the roof. Stop lights weren't working, many streets were blocked off. You didn't see many people on the streets. No one knew what to do. There was conflicting information coming out of the city and FEMA.

• Banned

FEMA.

Just a few of the no bid carcinogenic trailers Bush tried to put the survivors into.

So, your problem with Bush is what the federal government did _after_ the 1800 people had already died?

What blame do you give to Mayor Nagin or Governor Blanco in the nearly 2000 deaths?

Last edited:
I lived in New Orleans for several years. The 'people' kept electing corrupt government officials to the New Orleans Levy Board. NOLB built the levys that failed, and the people got what they voted for.

Elections have consequences.

I lived in New Orleans for several years. The 'people' kept electing corrupt government officials to the New Orleans Levy Board. NOLB built the levys that failed, and the people got what they voted for.

Good government has never been a very high priority in New Orleans. I think most people just accepted as fact that corrupt and inefficient government was as much a part of the city as the French Quarter or Mardi Gras. At least, that's the way it seemed to me when I lived there.

Good government has never been a very high priority in New Orleans. I think most people just accepted as fact that corrupt and inefficient government was as much a part of the city as the French Quarter or Mardi Gras. At least, that's the way it seemed to me when I lived there.

Indeed. It was, and still is, part of the culture.

FEMA.

So, your problem with Bush is what the federal government did _after_ the 1800 people had already died?

What blame do you give to Mayor Nagin or Governor Blanco in the nearly 2000 deaths?

They don't have the resources of the Federal government. Without those resources, what is it they should have done?

FEMA.

They don't have the resources of the Federal government. Without those resources, what is it they should have done?

Evacuated sooner? Stocked up on food and supplies for people who were going to be stuck? Not let buses sit around getting covered up with water? Prepared better to begin with? Realized sooner how unprepared they were and called in help? Was Bush supposed to assume that Nagin was going to fail his city and premptively send the National Guard in to help evacuate people?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back