Kate Dalgleish: How I've spent my summer break — under threat from terrorist missiles

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A Canadian visits Israel and learns that rockets are fired at them. Appears to be an effort to harm their tourism I imagine.

No peaceful people should be the target of missiles, explosives or otherwise. Humans are a strange, sadistic species

TEL AVIV, Israel — One day last week, I was on the beach. It was a beautiful evening in Tel Aviv, the sun dropping like a red marble into the Mediterranean. Families played in the surf and people rode scooters down the boardwalk. A few days later, I watched a video of that same stretch of beach. Those families were running for their lives as the missile sirens wailed. I had missed the attack by only a few hours.

This has been my first trip to Israel, and as a non-Jewish Canadian, I was not sure what to expect.

I have seen jaw-dropping historic sites, tried fantastic food, and I swear to never complain about Ottawa’s summers again. But what has really struck me is that we Canadians have almost no idea about the reality on the ground in Israel.

A Canadian visits Israel and learns that rockets are fired at them. Appears to be an effort to harm their tourism I imagine.

No peaceful people should be the target of missiles, explosives or otherwise. Humans are a strange, sadistic species

TEL AVIV, Israel — One day last week, I was on the beach. It was a beautiful evening in Tel Aviv, the sun dropping like a red marble into the Mediterranean. Families played in the surf and people rode scooters down the boardwalk. A few days later, I watched a video of that same stretch of beach. Those families were running for their lives as the missile sirens wailed. I had missed the attack by only a few hours.

This has been my first trip to Israel, and as a non-Jewish Canadian, I was not sure what to expect.

I have seen jaw-dropping historic sites, tried fantastic food, and I swear to never complain about Ottawa’s summers again. But what has really struck me is that we Canadians have almost no idea about the reality on the ground in Israel.

War is strange, in how people get used to it.
One thing is to realize war is common reality in the rest of the world,
another thing is to understand some will kill more of their own to kill another.

image.png

Last edited:
War is strange, in how people get used to it.
One thing is to realize war is common reality in the rest of the world,
another thing is to understand some will kill more of their own to kill another.

image.png

Yes, apparently Ahmad,

the rockets were launched at the sea...

Forum List

Back