Justice Department sues Missouri over new gun law

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Department of Justice on Wednesday sued Missouri over a contested new law banning local police from enforcing federal gun laws just days after pulling out of a state crime-fighting partnership.

The Justice Department has said the law, which declares “invalid” federal gun regulations that don’t have an equivalent in Missouri law, has scared police departments away from helping the federal government fight violent crime. Agencies risk being sued for $50,000 by private citizens who believe their Second Amendment rights have been violated.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement that the law “impedes criminal law enforcement operations in Missouri.”

LOL....Looks like Merrick Garland is up to his facist tricks again.....My surprised face. 😐

I get such a kick out of the hypocrisy of politics. I 100% agree that states have NO obligation to enforce Federal law. None. If the Feds want to enforce their laws, enforce them.

Oddly few agreed with me when I noted that states not only didn't have to, they really couldn't even enforce immigration laws.

Of course, this is the same guy that says you can burn down federal property and try to kill federal workers for political reasons and it isnt terrorism if its at night :lol:
I guess consistency shouldnt be expected.

Garland is a piece of trash, The Turtle was right to hold his SCOTUS nomination. Of course the argument could almost be made that he would have done less short term damage on SCOTUS than he has done thus far as AG.

Garland is a piece of trash, The Turtle was right to hold his SCOTUS nomination. Of course the argument could almost be made that he would have done less short term damage on SCOTUS than he has done thus far as AG.

OK, you don't like Garland. Are you saying you disagree with him or you just don't like him?

Great. It's nice to know that people are agreeing that the states are not obligated to enforce federal laws.

It will go a long ways to negating federal laws if no one is enforcing them.
Well given the "selective enforcement" the feds engage in why should the states give the feds the time of day?

It's a shame though, local LEO should be working hand in hand with ICE but when you have to deal with the likes of DHS and the FBI's heavy handedness (both agencies need to be gutted like a fish) I can see why the states say No Mas.

Well given the "selective enforcement" the feds engage in why should the states give the feds the time of day?

Why would you ask me this when I say they do not have to?

It's a shame though, local LEO should be working hand in hand with ICE but when you have to deal with the likes of DHS and the FBI's heavy handedness (both of which need to be gutted like a fish) I can see why the states say No Mas.

Right, your displeasure here is selective.

Why would you ask me this when I say they do not have to?

Right, your displeasure here is selective.
Negative, there was a time when the FBI was respected (warts and all) and underfunded jurisdictions even asked for their help but that certainly is not the case now.

All they are about is going for the low-hanging fruit charge of "lying to the FBI" while at the same time lying to your face to get info out of you.

Negative, there was a time when the FBI was respected (warts and all) and underfunded jurisdictions even asked for their help but that certainly is not the case now.

All they are about is going for the low-hanging fruit charge of "lying to the FBI" while at the same time lying to your face to get info out of you.

The article is about states enforcing federal law. Again back to my point.

Why the hell didn't the DOJ sue the ATF over the shipment of thousands of illegal weapons to Mexico even when one of them turned up in the murder of a Border Patrol agent? The short answer is that all the federal agencies are involved in the same conspiracy.

I get such a kick out of the hypocrisy of politics. I 100% agree that states have NO obligation to enforce Federal law. None. If the Feds want to enforce their laws, enforce them.

Oddly few agreed with me when I noted that states not only didn't have to, they really couldn't even enforce immigration laws.

They don't have to enforce immigration laws, they simply have to hand over illegal immigrants to ICE.......then the Feds can do the work.....

They don't have to enforce immigration laws, they simply have to hand over illegal immigrants to ICE.......then the Feds can do the work.....

The Fed long refused to do so. They have nowhere to hold them. The Fed can't be picking people up in 50 states and taken them where?

The Fed long refused to do so. They have nowhere to hold them. The Fed can't be picking people up in 50 states and taken them where?

Yeah....we have no where to hold criminals....gee, you would think someone would invent something where we can house people who break the law....

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Department of Justice on Wednesday sued Missouri over a contested new law banning local police from enforcing federal gun laws just days after pulling out of a state crime-fighting partnership.

The Justice Department has said the law, which declares “invalid” federal gun regulations that don’t have an equivalent in Missouri law, has scared police departments away from helping the federal government fight violent crime. Agencies risk being sued for $50,000 by private citizens who believe their Second Amendment rights have been violated.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement that the law “impedes criminal law enforcement operations in Missouri.”

LOL....Looks like Merrick Garland is up to his facist tricks again.....My surprised face. 😐
I think the state of Missouri should get C's for this frivolous lawsuit. There is no duty to enforce fed laws.

God I fucking hate this administration.

Forum List

Back