Just saw this

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
The Minor Regional Novelist
When Larry McMurtry began writing, he had no reason to believe that the dusty plains and grim ranchers that inspired him would capture anyone’s attention. Thirty-two novels, a Pulitzer, and an Oscar later, there’s no question that the author of Lonesome Dove has done more to shape the country’s understanding of Texas than anyone before or since.

I suppose "minor" is a matter of perspective-

I've read a good many of his novels- some were better than others, IMNSHO- Lonesome Dove, is one of, if not my all time favorite novel and TV show- he was a bit of a recluse, and I can relate to that- he comes across as very unassuming in the many interviews I've read- very non-chalant about his talent- I read several years ago he wrote Lonesome Dove with the thought in mind of putting to rest the myth about the old west- ironically, it worked in the opposite way-

1616792945335.png

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:cool:

and even the actors. If you'd seen Lonesome Dove you might think you'd be disappointed in the younger actors portrayals. But they're really good. David Arquette has Gus down pat.

• Banned
He wrote a lot of books- this is one I remember in particular I really enjoyed

Sin Killer: A Novel (Berrybender Narratives)

This site (and no I'm not being compensated) has most of his books listed- I did book mark it though LOL

I agree with the part of the title that says "regional"- but, his stories are about the foibles of being a human-

I have one I didn't see listed- his take on Crazy Horse called "Crazy Horse a life"- published in 1999-

Dang- I saw a couple on that list I have to get- I want to pass down my collection of good, meaningful books- and his rate at the top of the list. I wore out 2 paper backs of Lonesome Dove so I got a hard back copy- ;)

Forum List

Back