Just a thought....

An ex-Marine friend of mine was sprayed along with the rest of his unit in Vietnam directly with Agent Orange in-country in 1968, and he was operated on less than 10 years later for testicular cancer as a result. (And survived).
Your timeline seems way off!!

My ex-father-in-law was in the Navy in Vietnam. Clouds of Agent Orange would blow out over the gulf. He had his first health issues from it less than 10 years after he got out in 1972. He was on complete disability by 2005. 3 different civilian doctors signed that his health issues were a direct result of the exposure.

He got a check for it in 2016 for around $180k. He died in 2017.

The gov't has a plan. Delay, delay, delay and hope they die before they have to be paid.

I was stationed at Lejeune during the critical years and I am fine. The dirty little secret is that the treasury dept has deep pockets and there are hungry law firms that are desperate to get their hands on the prize. The ironic thing is that the Marines who came down with symptoms from Agent Orange in Nam and could get no compensation will be able to get some justice with a leaky water system if they were stationed at Lejeune.

The Indians say welcome to the club. Wounded Knee would agree but their all dead.

So do the survivors of the Tuskegee experiments & MK Ultra.

Our govt most likely helped destroyed the Nord Stream Pipeline to maintain control as the DC hegemony is evaporating, so the cold & starving EU masses agree.

The puppet masters behind the scenes pulling the strings in our govt has been screwing us & the world for decades

Yet for some stupid reason, people still keep asking and expecting the Federal Government to fix everything for them.

Yet for some stupid reason, people still keep asking and expecting the Federal Government to fix everything for them.

I agree that no one should expect the federal gov't to fix everything.

But shouldn't they be held to account for injuries suffered by those who were sent to war by that gov't? And should that same gov't be required to live up to the promises made to those who served?

I agree that no one should expect the federal gov't to fix everything.

But shouldn't they be held to account for injuries suffered by those who were sent to war by that gov't? And should that same gov't be required to live up to the promises made to those who served?

Yes ... By all means they should be held to account for their failures.

I am not saying it is right or wrong and not even trying to be indifferent ...
Just understanding that a promise is better negotiated between two people and not between a government and an individual.

I just have never put a lot of stock in a promise coming from an entity that is not capable of
ensuring the proper follow through is executed and where accountability amounts to little more than passing the buck.
Sorry if I think it is being a bit idealistic to assume the entity or institution that screwed someone is somehow going to change.

I am lucky enough to have had at least acceptable results when dealing with veteran services ...
Which in no way is meant to suggest that the same applies to everyone who has served, or everywhere services are provided.

To expound on this ...

Although not necessarily the negligence or outright disregard as in the case of Camp Lejeune ...
There are also currently cases and lawsuits involving Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) associated in most cases with the military and aircraft fires.

I mean I get it ... And it sucks that AFFF can cause cancer in some cases ... But look at it in context.
At the time it was what was available ... It might cause cancer that kills you ...
But you could also blow up in fireball if they didn't use it ... Take your pick.

In a way ... That goes along with the risk you knew you were taking when you raised your hand and took the oath*.
You were offering life and limb ... And I know a few folks that didn't make it out with their lives, or all their limbs.
I still have the hand I raised when I took the oath and that's a plus.

*I only have the personal context of Volunteer Service and if you want to include Compulsory Service such as Vietnam ...
Well, I think that goes right back to the idea of exactly what one can expect from their government
and an excellent example of precisely the value they put on the service member at that time ...
Much less the value they put on any promises they made.

Forum List

Back