June 24, 2014: Primary Results thread for CO, MD, MS, NY, OK, SC, UT

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
2014-06-024Primarymap_zps410bcac3.jpg

Poll-closing times:

19:00 (7:00 PM), EST: Florida-19 (7 PM local time), South Carolina (7 PM local time)
20:00 (8:00 PM), EST: Maryland (8 PM local time), Mississippi (7 PM local time), Oklahoma (7 PM local time)
21:00 (9:00 PM) EST: New York (9 PM local time), Colorado (7 PM local time)
22:00 (10:00 PM) EST: Utah (8 PM local time)

Here the time-zone map of our Union, for reference:

USA time zones map with current local time 12 hour format

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colorado

AP results for Colorado

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maryland

AP results for Maryland

Mississippi

AP results for Mississippi

This is a runoff election. 2 races are being decided:

GOP senatorial primary runoff
MS-03 DEM primary runoff

New York

AP results for New York

The primaries in New York State are only for federal level offices.
The state and local office primaries will be on September 9th. I suppose that if any runoffs from today are needed, they will also be on this date.

Oklahoma

AP results for Oklahoma

Senate primaries for TWO senate seats will be decided today.

South Carolina

AP results for South Carolina

Today is runoff election day in SC for three races.

Utah

AP results for Utah

Utah has a 2-step system on the Republican side. If a candidate already got more than 60% at the State GOP convention, then he or she is automatically nominated for that office. If not, then the race is decided by primary vote.

In Utah, the main primaries today are only for the Representatives from that states 4 congressional districts. In CDs 1-3, the GOP candidates already won nomination per convention. In CD-4, the GOP nomination will be decided today, but Mia Love (who ran in 2012 against Democrat Jim Matheson and lost) is the only GOPer on the ballot, so she will win the nomination.

Likewise, in the Utah DEM, Consitution, Libertarian and American Independent primaries, there is currently only one candidate on the ballot, insofar as I can see.

The most important election in UTAH today is the special election for ATTY GENERAL, upon the resignation of John Swallow (R) in November, 2013. Sean Reyes (R) was selected to fill out the term until a special election, which is today. The Republican is expected to win this race.

Of the CD races for the fall, CD-04 is likely to go to Mia Love and the GOP, thus making Utah for all intents and purposes a completely GOP state.

[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] - want to add any more information?

Also: special election in FL-19:

Florida-19

AP results for Florida-19

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of these races, there are FOUR Senate primaries being decided in 2 state primaries + 1 runoff (MS):

Colorado: Mark Udall (D-inc) and Cory Scott Gardner (R-CO-04) are running unopposed. There is also a Unity and an unaffiliated primary going on in CO.

Mississippi: Runoff in the GOP primary between Thad Cochran (R-Inc) and Chris McDaniel (R-Tea). McDaniel is leading in runoff polling, so an upset is very likely. This will also likely be the most watched race of the day and evening.

I just caught an error I made back in January (sorry): no Senatorial races in New York this year. Oops, was an honest error.

Oklahoma: both senate seats are up.

For the Class-2 seat, incumbent James Imhofe is up against 4 challengers. He will easily win. Matt Silverstein is running unopposed for the DEM primary. There are three independents on an independent ballot, only one of them has recorded finances with the FEC.

For the Class-3 seat, which Tom Coburn is vacating at the end of this term, there are 7 competitors in the GOP primary and 3 in the DEM primary.

Oklahoma is a RUBY-RED state at the Federal and State level, it is a 2-to-1 GOP state in presidential politics and no one is expecting these contests to be even remotely competitive in the Fall. Both of these seats will stay firmly in GOP hands.

On the Gubernatorial side, in Maryland, Democratic incumbent and possible 2016 presidential candidate Martin O'Malley is term-limited and there are a slew of candidates for both primaries, 6 on the Democratic side, 4 on the Republican side and 1 Libertarian for the Libertarian primary.

Lt. Governor Brown and challenger Doug Gansler are the two main candidates for this primary on the Democratic side. Gansler hurt himself politically very badly last year when he was photographed at a party for teenagers who were drinking. This race could, however, be interesting to watch today. This primary race has turned pretty ugly.

Of course, surprises can happen, but today is actually a perfect day for Democracy in action: a number of sleeper races (zzzzzzzzzzzz) and one or two really important marquee races. They should be fun to watch.

I will be up tonight some to report the results.

Politico also tends to put out a very impressive results page, a clickable flash-graphic where you can see the voting down to the county level.

Here's the main page (with a map of the USA) at the Senatorial level:

2014 Election Results Senate: Live Map by State, Midterm Midterm Races Races - POLITICO

And the HOR level:

2014 Election Results House: Live Map by State, Midterm Midterm Races Races - POLITICO

And the gubernatorial level:

2014 Election Results Governor: Live Map by State, Midterm Midterm Races Races - POLITICO

Last edited:
  • Banned
A friendly shout out to some folks who may really enjoy the information in the OP: [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION] [MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION] [MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] [MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION] [MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION] [MENTION=47936]AntiParty[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=48010]Machaut[/MENTION] [MENTION=48981]DiabloBlanco[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION]

Anyone who doesn't want to be on this occasional mention list: just let me know, I will drop the name immediately. If you want on the list, let me know.

Thanks,

-Stat

PS. Please do not quote this posting, otherwise you will send out the @ list again. Thanks.

PSS. If you live in any of the states that have primaries today and want to contribute some information, that would be great.

Add me to your mentions llst, please?

Today's special election in Florida's District 19 - I voted by mail-in ballot- to replace cocaine user Rep. Trey Radel, is expected to cost over $1 million.

And we get to do it again this coming November.

Republican Party of Florida - wasteful, much? Just wow!

Regards from Rosie

• Banned

Today's special election in Florida's District 19 - I voted by mail-in ballot- to replace cocaine user Rep. Trey Radel, is expected to cost over $1 million.

Regards from Rosie

Can't necessarily blame the GOP for that one, if I recall, Florida law requires a special election in this case, so it had to be scheduled somewhere. This is for the seat until January, 2015. That is why there were also two primaries for this CD: one for today's special, and one for November. Confusing, but necessary. The only other option would have been to leave the seat vacant in November, since FL law, if I recall, does not allow for HOR seat appointments in the interim. But you might know this law better than I. And sure, I put out on el listo. :)

Regards from Rosie

Can't necessarily blame the GOP for that one, if I recall, Florida law requires a special election in this case, so it had to be scheduled somewhere. This is for the seat until January, 2015. That is why there were also two primaries for this CD: one for today's special, and one for November. Confusing, but necessary. The only other option would have been to leave the seat vacant in November, since FL law, if I recall, does not allow for HOR seat appointments in the interim. But you might know this law better than I. And sure, I put out on el listo. :)

Yeah the other option is to leave the seat vacant. WHICH IT HAS BEEN SINCE JANUARY!

Ahem. 'Scuse the shouting, please.

Leaving it vacant until November is more preferable than filling it for four months @ a cost of $250,000 / month, donchathink?

If Democrats were doing this there would be no end of recriminations. Around here, it's "oh, well, he wasn't the good ol' boy we thought he was;, let's get another Red Stater in there."

To say it is galling seems insufficient.

Regards from Rosie

I'm also awaiting the results. Especially for that black gal in Utah - I got my fingers crossed for her.

We have some very impressive conservative candidates battling it out today against the Establishment.. :)

So, good people, I need to sleep some first. The 6 hour time difference is sometimes really hard to keep up with. Will be back on to start recording election returns starting at about 9:30 PM EST, about 90 minutes after the Mississippi polls close. I assume that the race will be called for McDaniel at about 10 pm.

Till then.

[quoteE=Statistikhengst;9323428]In FL-19, Curt Clawson (D) has won with 67% in a blowout win.[/quote]

Turnout barely reached 19%. A million dollar yawner.

Regards from Rosie

Forum List

Back