Jonah Goldberg on the Similarities and Differences between T party and MOWS crowd

The main difference is, the Tea Party members actually work, bathe, wash their clothes, and actually know what the fuck they are talking about.

These liberals running around acting like a bunch of uneducated morons, don't work, bathe, wash their clothes, or know what the fuck they are talking about.........They are an embarrassment to all hard working, clean, educated americans.

The main difference between the two is that the OWS is a bunch of suckers getting played by the left.

I don't know about that.

It looks as if the lefties are tired of their phony leaders talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Kind of like how tea partiers are tired of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

But, Dear lady, am neither a left winger nor right winger. I am tired of our elected officials talking the talk and then screwing up royally!!

By the way, Isn't the OWS actually the coffee party on LSD??

Jonah Goldberg, of course, was foisted on the nation by his mom during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, when she milked the attention she received as Linda Tripp’s cohort to push Jonah into the spotlight and into publishing, where he has remained ever since. At the time, Jonah, 29, was “vice-president” of his mom’s company. But through his mom’s hard work exploiting their joint dirt-mongering in that scandal, he quickly became a National Review Editor. As recorded by this superb and darkly amusing 1998 Salon profile, entitled “The Jester of Monicagate: How Lucianne Goldberg’s son Jonah has turned his 15 minutes of fame into a full-time job”:

Jonah, agent fatale Lucianne Goldberg’s 29-year-old son, entered the national stage when he listened to the Linda Tripp tapes with his mom. . . . .

From an early age, his mother, who has acknowledged being an undercover Republican political operative during the McGovern campaign, exposed her son to feisty right-wing hi-jinks — and instilled in him a strong sense of family loyalty and affection. Indeed, Goldberg says he first entered the media fray “to defend my mom” from those who deemed her the money-grubbing Wicked Witch of the Upper West Side.

National Review, like Jonah, hates “handouts,” believes strongly in the glorious virtues of self-sufficiency and pulling oneself up by one’s bootstraps (and, apparently, by one’s unsevered umbilical cords); demands meritocratic policies; and is filled with spine-stiffening courage and toughness. They’re the people who hate affirmative action because of how “unfair” and “un-meritocratic” it is, but who thrive on legacy admissions to college and have their moms and dads get them jobs and make their careers.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I wondered when the King of Irrelevancy would show up and treat us all to a nice long post about fuck-all that's apropos of nothing whatsoever.

The 'King of Irrelevancy' is Jonah Goldberg. A pampered life where mommy gets you a job is not a frame of reference.

Jonah Goldberg, of course, was foisted on the nation by his mom during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, when she milked the attention she received as Linda Tripp’s cohort to push Jonah into the spotlight and into publishing, where he has remained ever since. At the time, Jonah, 29, was “vice-president” of his mom’s company. But through his mom’s hard work exploiting their joint dirt-mongering in that scandal, he quickly became a National Review Editor. As recorded by this superb and darkly amusing 1998 Salon profile, entitled “The Jester of Monicagate: How Lucianne Goldberg’s son Jonah has turned his 15 minutes of fame into a full-time job”:

Jonah, agent fatale Lucianne Goldberg’s 29-year-old son, entered the national stage when he listened to the Linda Tripp tapes with his mom. . . . .

From an early age, his mother, who has acknowledged being an undercover Republican political operative during the McGovern campaign, exposed her son to feisty right-wing hi-jinks — and instilled in him a strong sense of family loyalty and affection. Indeed, Goldberg says he first entered the media fray “to defend my mom” from those who deemed her the money-grubbing Wicked Witch of the Upper West Side.

National Review, like Jonah, hates “handouts,” believes strongly in the glorious virtues of self-sufficiency and pulling oneself up by one’s bootstraps (and, apparently, by one’s unsevered umbilical cords); demands meritocratic policies; and is filled with spine-stiffening courage and toughness. They’re the people who hate affirmative action because of how “unfair” and “un-meritocratic” it is, but who thrive on legacy admissions to college and have their moms and dads get them jobs and make their careers.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Nietzsche

How does any of this relate to his argument? Who Jonah Goldberg is, or who his parents are have no relevance to this discussion. His argument is valid or not valid based on his facts and his reasoning, not because of his employer or his parents.

I only included his name because I stole the text from his newsletter. You aren't allowed to present other people's ideas as your own. You would realize that if you actually had any ideas.

Returning to his basic thesis, there is a huge amount of disgust over government -big business incest. It is the basis for the slavish devotion of the adherents of Ron Paul, Sarah Palin and Denis Kusinich. There is a huge amount of disgust over this.

Goldberg is not saying this annoyance is wrong. He is saying the Tea Party folks have a better understanding of the fundamental issue, and the remedies of the OWS are worse than the disease because they want to compound the problem and move it to their personal advantage rather than fix it.

How does it relate? REALLY??? If Jonah hadn't pulled 'himself up' by his mother's umbilical cord and wasn't afforded legacy admissions to college and have his mom get him jobs, he wouldn't have the forum to make his argument, now would he? Maybe he'd be sleeping on Wall Street.

you're non answer is noted. I for one and shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Friedrich Nietzsche

I wondered when the King of Irrelevancy would show up and treat us all to a nice long post about fuck-all that's apropos of nothing whatsoever.

The 'King of Irrelevancy' is Jonah Goldberg. A pampered life where mommy gets you a job is not a frame of reference.

leave Arthur Sulzberger Jr out of this...oh, oops, I mean....:lol:

Well, if Arthur opens his trap about OWS we'll shoe him away too...

nice non-sequitur...

but don't you mean like rupert murdoch's kid?

The identity of a particular columnist's mom does not change the truth of the facts or the quality of the analysis. You can disagree with Jonah or not based on whether you think he is right or not, but Lucianne is not part of the discussion on wether the OWS folks have a clue, could find their asses with both hands tied behind them or have the economic literacy of a flea that has been dropped on its head once too often.

The main difference is, the Tea Party members actually work, bathe, wash their clothes, and actually know what the fuck they are talking about.

These liberals running around acting like a bunch of uneducated morons, don't work, bathe, wash their clothes, or know what the fuck they are talking about.........They are an embarrassment to all hard working, clean, educated americans.

The main difference between the two is that the OWS is a bunch of suckers getting played by the left.

I don't know about that.

It looks as if the lefties are tired of their phony leaders talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Kind of like how tea partiers are tired of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

But, Dear lady, am neither a left winger nor right winger. I am tired of our elected officials talking the talk and then screwing up royally!!

By the way, Isn't the OWS actually the coffee party on LSD??

One of our local talk show hosts calls them the Flea Party. I like it.

Message from the "53 percent"

ErickErickson.jpg

The problem? The 99 Percenters' proposed solutions and the Tea Partiers' are absolutely incompatible with each other

Bingo.

The TPM and OWS are two expressions of the popular discontent.

They both intuit the problem but neither of them understands the details well enough to know who to blame.

Naturally, therefore, both arrive with solutions that can not work.

GIGO, know what I mean?

FYI, that means: Garbage in garbage out.

Last edited:
I see it far differently.

The Tea party is about one thing - fiscal responsibility from our government. They aren't demanding a new constitution- they are happy with the one we have. They just want a return to sanity with regards to spending, taxation, and entitlements. Yes, I know, it would be just horrible if the budget was balanced, citizens were personally responsible, and we started paying down the national debt. Oh the horror!! :cuckoo:

These SOWS are another story entirely. They are a sloppy miasma of Marxist rhetoric, stupidity, and incoherence. They see themselves as modern day hippies- content to shit in the streets, go weeks without bathing, and reeking of hypocrisy. They have no real message other than "eat the rich".

You're kidding. The tea party elected people that wanted to add a brand spanking new ammendment to require government to have balanced budgets. They also wanted to get rid of the citizenship clause by birth in the 14th Amendment. They also wanted to toss the 17th Amendment. Yeah..they were "happy" with it all right.

And none of these folks were protesting Bush. In fact they tried to tie TARP to Obama.

The Tea Baggers (which they named themselves) was a ridiculous movement. They had every right to protest, however. But it was hardly a homegrown, "natural", grass roots thing. Dick Armey and FOX co-opted the whole thing for the GOP.

I like you Sallow. Sometimes you can make a point that is so ingenious that it scares me. But this ain't one of these times.

The Tea Party started as a result of Obamacare being rammed through Congress. It started with the meetings that Congressmen and Senators were having back home during the summer recess. Those got so heated that they stopped having the meetings with their constituents. So we got together and the Tea Party was formed. Claire McCaskill (SP??) from Missouri was one of those. She cancelled her meetings with constituents that year because they were hammering her. Now she's pretty much understanding that because she wouldn't listen to Missourians, she's toast.

You're absolutely right. We want, no we demand, a balanced budget amendment that can ONLY be violated during a time of declared war. You're right about the citizenship clause to the 14th Amendment. We want that gone. Just look at the wife of the Mexican drug cartel leader that came to San Diego to have their child last month. He's on the FBI's most wanted list and she trips to the USA because she knows that if the kids born here, he will have citizenship. Now that kid is technically an American citizen. When dad gets a bullet to the brain, she takes her kid "home." The 17th Amendment not so much (I've NEVER heard anyone gripe about it at a Tea Party event).

As for the teabagger thing, it was Jeanine Garafallo (SP??) that first started it. I'd never heard it before and quite frankly it was like being called a pig when I was a cop. Yawn. Saying that Fox News and Dick Armey aggitated the movement is fantasy. They piled on perhaps, just like the unions with the OWS nuts.

You like people who trample over the bodies of six million victims of genocide just to make a 'joke'? How odd.

Personally, I think Swallow is as thick as pig shit. He's also an unemployed drunk.

Essentially the MOWS crowd is saying the cure for this kind of thing is more of the same.

Total Nonsense, Baruch, I am surprised to read you are so misinformed

Essantially the MOWS crowd is proposing a RADICAL change in the way this society works.

The number one change they propose is an END TO CORPORATE PERSONHOOD.

That is why they're on WALL STREET instead of in WASHINGTON.

To emphasise where the root cause of this problem REALLY rests.

(I might have pro0posed that they occupy K Street, but WALL STREET is an capitalist incon that more people can understand)

The Tea Party is saying we need to do something completely different.

Yes, they too have a plan.

Doing the same stupid, but for different beneficiaries leads to the same bad results. Giving handouts to corrupt executives at Enron or giving handouts to corrupt executives at Solyndra is stil results in disastrous policies for the consumer.

Believe me, changing the social contract regarding CORPORATIONS is hardly DOING THE SAME THING, amigo.

Last edited:
I don't know anybody who is in the OWS protest, but I have watched interview after interview on Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and NBC and their affiliates and I have yet to find ANYBODY interviewed who had a clue what he or she was actually protesting or what he or she expected anybody to do about it or provide.

I have been actively involved in the Tea Party movement however, know a LOT of people who have been actively involved in that movement, and I don't know a SOUL who is actively involved in that movement who doesn't have a very clear idea of what they want to happen and who is to blame for it not happening.

Essentially the MOWS crowd is saying the cure for this kind of thing is more of the same.

Essantially the MOWS crowd is proposing a RADICAL change in the way this society works.

(I might have pro0posed that they occupy K Street, but WALL STREET is an capitalist incon that more people can understand)

The Tea Party is saying we need to do something completely different.

Doing the same stupid, but for different beneficiaries leads to the same bad results. Giving handouts to corrupt executives at Enron or giving handouts to corrupt executives at Solyndra is stil results in disastrous policies for the consumer.

Believe me, changing the social contract regarding CORPORATIONS is hardly DOING THE SAME THING, amigo.

Making corporations the scapegoat is not the same as having a clue. Corporation personhood makes them easy to sue, tax and organize. it is a nice little legal fiction that makes modern commerce function.

The essential trouble is the MOWS people know that government handouts to favored "persons" is the trouble. The mistake in thinking that who it is that gets the handouts is relevant. Passing out money to Solyndra, Citibank or unemployable college students is all equally evil wastes of working people's money. It is the extraction of money from productive pockets to the hands that scratch the back of entrenched politicians that is the issue. Not the enemy de jour of those following the anarchists handbook.

I don't know anybody who is in the OWS protest, but I have watched interview after interview on Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and NBC and their affiliates and I have yet to find ANYBODY interviewed who had a clue what he or she was actually protesting or what he or she expected anybody to do about it or provide.

I have been actively involved in the Tea Party movement however, know a LOT of people who have been actively involved in that movement, and I don't know a SOUL who is actively involved in that movement who doesn't have a very clear idea of what they want to happen and who is to blame for it not happening.

We could ALL know 'what they (Tea Party movement) want to happen and who is to blame for it not happening' by watching Glenn Beck for a week.

It just doesn't make it TRUE...:lol:

Yes..if you scrape off the racist theocratic fascism of the tea party..you do find some common ground. But you have to hose off the stench from depends, jack daniels, old cigs and vicks.

More drunken ranting, swallow?

Seriously.... sober up occasionally. Sad lying old bastard.

Irony escapes ya don't it NaziGirl?

Cuddle up with your jackboots and gas another jew will ya?

:lol:

*sigh*

i truly, seriously and from the bottom of my heart wish people (especially people i like and generally agree with) would stop calling people nazis. only nazis are nazis.

*banging head against desk*

and CG, he's not ranting, hon.

y'all make me sad.

Last edited:
More drunken ranting, swallow?

Seriously.... sober up occasionally. Sad lying old bastard.

Irony escapes ya don't it NaziGirl?

Cuddle up with your jackboots and gas another jew will ya?

:lol:

*sigh*

i truly, seriously and from the bottom of my heart wish people (especially people i like and generally agree with) would stop calling people nazis. only nazis are nazis.

*banging head against desk*

and CG, he's not ranting, hon.

y'all make me sad.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. No sober, decent, honorable individual says things like that about another individual just for the craic of it, mo chara. They just don't. It is a measure of the individual. It's one thing to say that shit when you're drunk.... that's understandable, however unjustifiable..... but if that's what he's actually like.... then he is a sick freak. An individual without morals. That makes me sad too.

Making corporations the scapegoat is not the same as having a clue.

On this we must disagree.

Corporate personhood is a mistake of the highest order for this or any other representational form of government.

Corporation personhood makes them easy to sue, tax and organize. it is a nice little legal fiction that makes modern commerce function.

And has become a perversion of our political process. And that is the problem with it.

The essential trouble is the MOWS people know that government handouts to favored "persons" is the trouble.

True

The mistake in thinking that who it is that gets the handouts is relevant.

Who (in Washington) gets the handouts is the evidence of the crime (that is not a crime thanks to the SCOTUS)

Occupy Wall Street Is Certainly No Tea Party
By Matt Kibbe

The ”Occupy Wall Street” movement desperately wants to be compared to the Tea Party, because such a comparison would give the fledgling, misguided movement unearned legitimacy. But there are three key characteristics that separate OWS from the Tea Party: First, the Occupy protesters pride themselves on provocative resistance to law enforcement and in some cases violence. Second, they disrespect public and private property. Third, and most important, the Occupy movement lacks a coherent guiding philosophy.

SOURCE
There are some huge differences...violence, focused direction, crime, and decency.

Forum List

Back