John Brown - Hero or Villain?

In 1859 his group took control of the armory at Harper’s Ferry so that slaves could arm themselves and fight for their freedom. His attempt failed.

Is violence against the powers of government sometimes justified?

Concord?
Operation Valkyrie to kill Hitler?

If anyone is seriously interested in this topic, I wish to let you know that I have just read an article about Mr. Brown & President Lincoln and their policies toward slavery.

It appears in a very serious (and liberal) British magazine called the London Review of Books. It is in the 17 December 2020 print issue. The article is entitled "This Guilty Land" by Eric Foner. I assume that you can access it online. Maybe you will have to pay to read it, I do not know. But it will be worth it if you, for some reason, are keenly interested in the topic (e.g., you are a college student).

Furthermore, the article is based on two new books that you might find in a good library or online (Amazon?).

1. Abe: Abraham Lincoln In His Times by David S. Reynolds.

2, The Zealot And The Emancipator by H.W. Brands

An ironic note that Union Lt. Robert E. Lee led the capture of Brown and he was hanged by the Union Army. Clearly Brown was insane to think that the occupation of a building in a Federal arsenal would ignite a slave revolt.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back