Jobless Claims Rise Unexpectedly Amid Labor Shortage: 412,000 Americans filed for initial jobless benefits, a month-long high.

My starter went out on my Explorer... it has been sitting a week. And will be sitting for several more, everywhere are waiting lists up to 6 weeks out.
Never experienced this before. The place I normally go told me 4 to 5 weeks. So I asked "is there that many people with car problems?" - she said no. They only have 2 guys in the shop, where before they had 6. They can't find anyone to hire.
Meanwhile... every fucking day I see young males riding around in mopeds, walking along the streets... all hours of the day. They have no intention of getting a job when they receive an equivalent of $12/hr in unemployment checks for doing nothing.
I change my own starter, on an Explorer it is two bolts and two nutz to change it, plus you get yer hands dirty.

My starter went out on my Explorer... it has been sitting a week. And will be sitting for several more, everywhere are waiting lists up to 6 weeks out.
Never experienced this before. The place I normally go told me 4 to 5 weeks. So I asked "is there that many people with car problems?" - she said no. They only have 2 guys in the shop, where before they had 6. They can't find anyone to hire.
Meanwhile... every fucking day I see young males riding around in mopeds, walking along the streets... all hours of the day. They have no intention of getting a job when they receive an equivalent of $12/hr in unemployment checks for doing nothing.
Good mechanics have become high skilled labor... automobiles are not as simple as they once were. They might have grease under their nails but they aren't cheap like they used to be. The oil change guy? He is low skilled.
Not sure what your point is?

Most of this is surrounding the changing economy as brought about by the home office worker.
Meaning that high skill and educated workforce is still employed and has a huge shortage of qualified labor.

Lower skilled labor is indifferent about working as unemployment benefits are equal to paychecks. But the fly in the ointment is that many low skilled jobs are evaporating. From the office supply delivery person to the office lunch caterer....their jobs have vanished. Not coming back. Everything is online...no need for a paper filled office with office politics.
No need for conference room equipment as they don't need a conference room anymore.
This is what is coming...and nobody really wants to recognize it. Denial is a river in Egypt type mentality is fully in force here.

So adjustments are needing to be made. The office supply delivery person needs to sign up for Uber Eats and call it a day. (And get a new attitude while at it)

Sure, the food processing industry is desperate...but that has more to do with wages and productivity and spacing out of employees than anything else. And many are enjoying their unemployment benefits. The mortgage payment on deferment as well as their student loans for an unfinished degree.

The disparity between the upper middle class and poor just got wider with the evaporation of lower middle class.
You definitely have intelligence rookie and welcome.

Can you try to sum up a post in 3 sentences. Lot of people don't have the time or IQ to read long posts.

More people will read short posts. Looks like you have 4 good posts in your novel.

Just a suggestion

We don't have a character limit here. If you cannot follow long posts go to twitter.
Why is this your concern?

I've always believed if you can't say it in 3 sentences, it ain't worth reading.

Long winded posters are usually the dumbest.

10 or less word posters are the best

How life works

The jobs you described as going away are blue collar ......your entire logistics system is freezing up due to lack of help.
Logistics employs low skilled labor but there is a top of that which is not low skilled. The top of that which is highly skilled and educated is still in high demand. There's a shortage of those people. The guy who drives the delivery van...those we got plenty of. But both are considered blue collar jobs.
Nursing is a blue collar job...but not uneducated or unskilled.
I understand that you are trying to create a "sound byte" here but that is not going to solve the real problems facing us.

I've found that when blue and red actually work together for a reasonable solution (instead of just finger pointing) some really good things can happen.
Not talking package delivery. Talking freight
The jobs you described as going away are blue collar ......your entire logistics system is freezing up due to lack of help.
Logistics employs low skilled labor but there is a top of that which is not low skilled. The top of that which is highly skilled and educated is still in high demand. There's a shortage of those people. The guy who drives the delivery van...those we got plenty of. But both are considered blue collar jobs.
Nursing is a blue collar job...but not uneducated or unskilled.
I understand that you are trying to create a "sound byte" here but that is not going to solve the real problems facing us.

I've found that when blue and red actually work together for a reasonable solution (instead of just finger pointing) some really good things can happen.
Not talking package delivery. Talking freight.
Operating a forklift or lull isn't high skilled either. But organization of the yard to be distributed is.
You really are a know nothing idiot.
Ad hominem attack? So you are admitting defeat? I really wasn't trying to "win". Just discuss things.

I change my own starter, on an Explorer it is two bolts and two screws to change it, plus you get yer hands dirty.
I am almost there.
On a 4.0 it is in an impossible place.
Under the manifold, so you can't get to it from above... the drive shaft is directly underneath it as is a cross member.
If I was to think of where would be the hardest place to put a starter - this would be it.
There is no way I can get underneath it without jacking it up. So I would have to buy two jack stands and a jack. Plus find blocks from somewhere as my drive way is older black top...uneven as hell.
Plus I also need the brakes worked on... thinking maybe the booster is going out.

Good mechanics have become high skilled labor... automobiles are not as simple as they once were. They might have grease under their nails but they aren't cheap like they used to be. The oil change guy? He is low skilled.
My point is that a particular portion of the economy has evaporated...and I'm trying to explain the difference between low skilled labor and high skilled labor. (To someone who slept through economics class like most people do)
And he was inadvertently being derogatory in his statements towards people who have much more control over his life than he probably realizes.

I dropped off my car at the local auto repair shop the other day.
The mechanic called me later, and said that I had a broken motor mound and would take about an hour to replace it. I told him to go ahead and replace the motor mount and I'd pick up my car later.
Then he told me he doubted the parts store would be able to deliver the new motor mount today. That all the auto parts store are having trouble finding people who want to work as parts delivery drivers. Because people now are making more money just sitting at home collecting government checks and aren't interested in getting a job. .... :cool:

Last edited:
I change my own starter, on an Explorer it is two bolts and two screws to change it, plus you get yer hands dirty.
I am almost there.
On a 4.0 it is on an impossible place.
Under the manifold, so you can't get to it from above... the drive shaft is directly underneath it as is a cross member.
If I was to think of where would be the hardest place to put a starter - this would be it.
There is no way I can get underneath it without jacking it up. So I would have to buy two jack stands and a jack. Plus find blocks from somewhere as my drive way is older black top...uneven as hell.
Plus I also need the brakes worked on... thinking maybe the booster is going out.
A universal socket and an extension for the socket is how the big boys do it at the shop. I was raised in a family of mechanics and do it yerselfers. Now they have instructional videos on You Tube, it's a chinch that anyone can do it.

I am almost there.
It is possible that it isn't the starter but might be a transistor before the solenoid.

That's why mechanics get paid the big bucks anymore.

My point is that a particular portion of the economy has evaporated...and I'm trying to explain the difference between low skilled labor and high skilled labor. (To someone who slept through economics class like most people do)
And he was inadvertently being derogatory in his statements towards people who have much more control over his life than he probably realizes.
And I'm telling you, you know jack. Maybe it's not your fault but there are high paying jobs galore going unfilled. Lot of our new hires are poached off other companies working their people constant 12-14hr days.

I am almost there.
A universal socket and an extension for the socket is how the big boys do it at the shop. I was raised in a family of mechanics and do it yerselfers. Now they have instructional videos on You Tube, it's a chinch that anyone can do it.
Not everyone has similar skills...for you it might be simple... you know the landscape and environment.
Watching a YouTube video isn't everything.

Bidenomics working as planned.

Right wingers make it seem like they don't really believe in Capitalism for the Poor only the Rich.

There is no unemployment under Capitalism only underpayment.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%). In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.

I am almost there.
Not everyone has similar skills...for you it might be simple... you know the landscape and environment.
Watching the videos beats the hell out of using the paper manuals. The environment for learning is being able to learn, nothing else.

Bidenomics working as planned.

Right wingers make it seem like they don't really believe in Capitalism for the Poor only the Rich.

There is no unemployment under Capitalism only underpayment.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%). In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.

In other words they get what they deserve a shortage of people willing to work for shitty wages from shitty employers. I went the route of being self employed because it cuts out middle management and I payed my people more than the other crews.

I am almost there.
Watching the videos beats the hell out of using the paper manuals. The environment for learning is being able to learn, nothing else.
In my Sunday School class that's a running joke where one of the guys who holds a highly educated career (and is wealthy from it) tries to do something (like car mechanics or trim carpentry) from watching a YouTube video...and eventually ends up getting his vehicle towed to a garage to finish the job.

I am almost there.
It is possible that it isn't the starter but might be a transistor before the solenoid.

That's why mechanics get paid the big bucks anymore.
I checked the fuses, the relay... swapped them with known good ones... no difference.
There is power at the solenoid. And everything works, meaning it ain't the battery... I can turn on the wipers and run the air conditioner and the headlights don't even dim.
At this point... the starter is at least 95% chance. That or the solenoid, which of course comes with the starter.

Forum List

Back