Jimmy Carter: "Leave Gay Marriage To States To Decide" (Right On Jimmy!)

JimmyCarter.jpg

Jimmy Carter is wrong and the big government RWs are wrong.

Government does not belong in our private lives any more than religion does.

Carter would have a point if the government was actually forcing churches to marry any couple against their wishes, gay or otherwise. If only this was actually happening any where in our nation...if only.

Carter would have a point if the government was actually forcing churches to marry any couple against their wishes, gay or otherwise. If only this was actually happening any where in our nation...if only.

Since when is freedom of religion limited only to a Church?

Because gays are getting married people are having their freedom of religion limited? Not sure how that works.

Unless you are a baker, a photographer, or own a wedding chapel.

Then, its SUBMIT PEON.

Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to violate civil laws. If you want to talk about scrapping public accommodation laws for non-essential services then I am all for it.

Because gays are getting married people are having their freedom of religion limited? Not sure how that works.

When you force someone to either officiate at a gay wedding or go out of business, you are limiting freedom of religion.

Let us do away with all PA laws for non-essential services, let these public businesses proudly state which members of the public they will or will not serve. Let the free market decide if they are worthy of our money. When the public decides to boycott and take their business elsewhere they will whine and cry about bullying.

Hell must have frozen over.

Seriously- a conservative quoting Jimmy Carter in an approving way......hell must have frozen over.

Jimmy has a right to his opinion.

I am sure many of his era feel the same way.

But pretty much we all agree that churches should not- and will not be required to marry anyone they don't want to- Jews/Blacks/homosexuals/Muslims- churches can marry whom they want to.

Has nothing to do with legal marriage equality.

Unless you are a baker, a photographer, or own a wedding chapel.

Then, its SUBMIT PEON.

Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to violate civil laws. If you want to talk about scrapping public accommodation laws for non-essential services then I am all for it.

Good, however until that happens I will continue pointing it out.

Call it a combo of constitutional indignation and OCD.

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

Let us do away with all PA laws for non-essential services, let these public businesses proudly state which members of the public they will or will not serve. Let the free market decide if they are worthy of our money. When the public decides to boycott and take their business elsewhere they will whine and cry about bullying.

As long it is

1) not the government doing it
2) not accompanied by bullying and itimidation

I have no issue with the market settling this. That being said If a place didn't want to do business with me it would be no skin off my back.

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

The question is that is this shit a right. Do you have a right to force another private person to do something they don't want to.

Forcing GOVERNMENT to be neutral and accommodating to all is acceptable, forcing individuals to comply is basically Jim crow in photo negative.

Forum List

Back