What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J.P. Morgan’s big bet U.S. bank bets against itself and winds up making money?

hvactec

VIP Member
Reaction score
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — The post-financial crisis Wall Street is doing one thing right: it’s betting against itself.

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. JPM became the latest too-big-to-fail bank to take advantage of an interesting trade: the bank hedges the spread on its own debt. When investors bid up the yield — an indicator that they think the bank won’t pay — J.P. Morgan makes money.

Hey, it doesn’t have to make sense, it’s Wall Street.

The end result was slightly better-than-expected but lackluster profit of $4.26 billion, for the nation’s second-biggest bank by assets. The bank reported $1.9 billion in revenue from the bets against itself — the net income from the move wasn’t immediately available.

But analysts suggest the move goosed earnings by as much as a nickel per share. At minimum the hedge added a penny or two a share to per-share earnings and, thus, helped the bank come closer to the Street’s expectations.

(As readers have pointed out, J.P. Morgan says this is an accounting measure, not a trade. But that doesn’t explain entirely why you don’t see all banks reporting such huge swings when their debt prices are moving too. And a lack of transparency in bank financial statements makes it difficult to gauge how these numbers can be calculated industry-wide.)

read more J.P. Morgan

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Reaction score
I'd really need to see the numbers and also have somebody who understands the move explain it to me, too.

In theory, I suppose I get it, but in actual practice, I don't.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$280.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List