I've decided to start making my own wine and whisky/vodka.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I've thought about this for years and with the upcoming move to the boonies I figured now would be the time to start delving into the art.
I'm not a huge wine drinker but the Wife really likes wine. For me making wine is all about the challenge. Making whiskey and vodka is the same but it's more of a selfish thing.
The wine making set up is pretty cheap,spent a $180 bucks on the equipment for a start.
The still on the other hand is going to be quite a bit more expensive at around 1k.
This is a 16 gallon model which will make around 8 to 10 gallons of whisky or vodka at a time.
I plan on selling the "Foreshots" that cause blindness to democrats,assuming I can find any in Texas.
Just kidding.....I'll give em away because selling home made whiskey is illegal.
1616208003649.png

I've thought about this for years and with the upcoming move to the boonies I figured now would be the time to start delving into the art.
I'm not a huge wine drinker but the Wife really likes wine. For me making wine is all about the challenge. Making whiskey and vodka is the same but it's more of a selfish thing.
The wine making set up is pretty cheap,spent a $180 bucks on the equipment for a start.
The still on the other hand is going to be quite a bit more expensive at around 1k.
This is a 16 gallon model which will make around 8 to 10 gallons of whisky or vodka at a time.
I plan on selling the "Foreshots" that cause blindness to democrats,assuming I can find any in Texas.
Just kidding.....I'll give em away because selling home made whiskey is illegal.
View attachment 469914
Well yeah, you've got the perfect name for a Whiskey brand "Here We Go Again".

They say you have to toss the Foreshots since they contain acetone which of course is highly toxic.
I say fuck that!!! Acetone is a great degreaser and parts cleaner!
And it'll strip paint like no ones business!!

Don't buy your still. Build it. There are lots of plans available, and plenty of knowledgeable people to help you along the way. Home distiller.org is a good place to start. They have tried and true plans, and all the recipes, techniques, charts, equations, and experience a beginner could possibly need to safely make alcohol. Study the site a few weeks before you decide on a plan though. You should understand how and why your still works before you start spending money on materials. Don't worry too much about the fore-shots. They taste like shit, but they aren't as bad as many think.

Don't buy your still. Build it. There are lots of plans available, and plenty of knowledgeable people to help you along the way. Home distiller.org is a good place to start. They have tried and true plans, and all the recipes, techniques, charts, equations, and experience a beginner could possibly need to safely make alcohol. Study the site a few weeks before you decide on a plan though. You should understand how and why your still works before you start spending money on materials. Don't worry too much about the fore-shots. They taste like shit, but they aren't as bad as many think.

I'll just ass up the money on a proffesionaly built still.
Less hassle and I can be assured it's right from the get go.
If I really get into it I'll definitely build my own just for the fun of it.

You really should do some reading at that site. There are lots of things you should know that aren't in that little instruction manual you will get with a bought still.

You really should do some reading at that site. There are lots of things you should know that aren't in that little instruction manual you will get with a bought still.

Do you really think I'm just going to toss in the mash and drink what comes out the other side?
Of course not.

Do you really think I'm just going to toss in the mash and drink what comes out the other side?
Of course not.

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. I was just trying to be helpful, but you seem to know every thing there is to know about distillation, and don't need any advice from someone who has had that hobby for 10 years so carry on.

Of course not.

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. I was just trying to be helpful, but you seem to know every thing there is to know about distillation, and don't need any advice from someone who has had that hobby for 10 years so carry on.

Trust me,I've been reading up on this for years.
It's always fascinated me.

View attachment 469914
Hahaha..... "$180 to start"

You have no idea.
I have been a homebrewer for a long time now. I too started off with a kit that was maybe $100... don't remember.
I have at least $6000 in it now. If you have success, you will too. It never stops. Brewing/wine making is a very expensive hobby. Sure there are a scant few that stayed with small setups... most expand and get better equipment to make better product.
With the small kits you can make decent wine. But to make great wine... you need more stuff.

My best advice to you, BTW - is the same as BULLDOG - take advantage of the enormous experience and advice that is out there.
That $6000 or so I have in it... I could have save at the very least half that if only knew of the better processes that are out there. As well as build your own systems.
I built my own venting system... a professionally built vent system with high enough cfm cost as much as $1500 or more. But a guy at homebrewtalk.com showed how he built his, including all of the parts... I made it for less than $200. And it works fantastic.
Sign up on one of the main forums out there. You can save $1000's and many, many headaches.

View attachment 469914

You have no idea.
I have been a homebrewer for a long time now. I too started off with a kit that was maybe $100... don't remember.
I have at least $6000 in it now. If you have success, you will too. It never stops. Brewing/wine making is a very expensive hobby. Sure there are a scant few that stayed with small setups... most expand and get better equipment to make better product.
With the small kits you can make decent wine. But to make great wine... you need more stuff.

It will depend on how much I enjoy doing it.
If I like something I go all in. If it turns out I dont I only spent a few hundred bucks,no big deal.

And as I said.."spent a $180 bucks on the equipment for a start"

To me this is nothing more than a different type of cooking,which as most here know I do a lot of.

View attachment 469914

You have no idea.

It will depend on how much I enjoy doing it.
If I like something I go all in. If it turns out I dont I only spent a few hundred bucks,no big deal.

And as I said.."spent a $180 bucks on the equipment for a start"

To me this is nothing more than a different type of cooking,which as most here know I do a lot of.
Oh don't get me wrong... that was totally meant as a humorous needle.
I am also a great cook. The two hobbies take the exact same skills and wants. If you are a great cook, you have the skills to make great wine.
Me - it is beer. I make some killer damn good beer.

Consider taking a peek at homebrewtalk.com It is mainly homebrewing, but they have a large Wine forum as well. SOme relaly good people there that are happily willing to help newbies

My best advice to you, BTW - is the same as BULLDOG - take advantage of the enormous experience and advice that is out there.
That $6000 or so I have in it... I could have save at the very least half that if only knew of the better processes that are out there. As well as build your own systems.
I built my own venting system... a professionally built vent system with high enough cfm cost as much as $1500 or more. But a guy at homebrewtalk.com showed how he built his, including all of the parts... I made it for less than $200. And it works fantastic.
Sign up on one of the main forums out there. You can save $1000's and many, many headaches.

If get into it I'll definitely look into more and better ways to make it.
I dont drink beer as much as I used to and the wine is mainly for the Wife I'm just looking forward to the process.
I really want to make my own whisky's and vodka. If I'm going to live in the boonies I'd love to find a more cost effective way than running down to the liquor store and spending $400 bucks every week or so.
Plus it'll be fun to see if I can turn out a decent product.

I dont drink beer as much as I used to and the wine is mainly for the Wife I'm just looking forward to the process.
I really want to make my own whisky's and vodka. If I'm going to live in the boonies I'd love to find a more cost effective way than running down to the liquor store and spending $400 bucks every week or so.
I have thought of distilling myself. But a bit afraid too... like yourself, if I like doing something... I am all in. I can easily get obsessed and not stop until I perfect my skills.
Example... I have a beer house. Yep... a nice stone building that is 100% dedicated to brewing beer. It is air conditioned and heated.
I put in a hardwood floor, the vent system.... fermentation chambers... I can go on.
I am afraid if I start to distill I will go whole hog!! :D

If your purpose is to save money on what you drink, you will be greatly disappointed. Drinkable vodka isn't too hard. I suck at making whiskey and finally just gave up on it. My rum is at least as fine as anything you will find in your local liquor store, though..

If your purpose is to save money on what you drink, you will be greatly disappointed. Drinkable vodka isn't too hard. I suck at making whiskey and finally just gave up on it. My rum is at least as fine as anything you will find in your local liquor store, though..

Vodka is our main alcohol and the cost of the ingrediants is very reasonable.
Buying a case of vodka at the liqour store for a decent brand will run you over $150 bucks for 3 gallons.
That 16 gallon still will make 8 to 10 gallons at a time and for a price far less than store bought.

Forum List

Back