It’s Time to Formally Declare America A Christian Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will have to be judges and written rules that everybody has to abide by. No way around it.
Where did Jesus suggest that He wanted Christians holding earthly political power to write rules and judge people on those rules? Help me please, I can't find anything in your bible even remotely hinting that Christians should be lording over and dominating other on this mortal plane.

I have no problem with the gov't presiding over civil courts. Or the state doing that.

It is asking the gov't for permission and the gov't granting special benefits that bothers me.
Never mind. I thought I was talking to Meriweather. I didn't realize you had butted in.

Let's say we had a fluid anything-goes system of marriage. How would you handle disputes in a will between exes? How would you handle parental rights in the case of a dissolution in the arrangement? Doesn't there have to be a referee?
We don't have that kind of chaotic system. You're only allowed one spouse at a time. Marriage can be abused, Linda Wolfe comes to mind. She holds the record for a woman being married the most times, she was married 23 times. The first time when she was 16 for " love ". The last time in 1996 for publicity. But by and large, the system works and marriage has earned new respect ( possibly by allowing gays to marry ) and Fidelity has increased in the past few years. Seems to me we're on the right track, why on Earth would anyone want to mess with that. " If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing. "

Where did Jesus suggest that He wanted Christians holding earthly political power to write rules and judge people on those rules? Help me please, I can't find anything in your bible even remotely hinting that Christians should be lording over and dominating other on this mortal plane.
Where did Jesus in the bible mention thermonuclear war?

Never mind. I thought I was talking to Meriweather. I didn't realize you had butted in.

I didn't butt in. I posted in a public forum in a discussion I have been involved in since the beginning.

It is not my fault you can't keep track of who you are speaking to. Maybe you have bad eyesight? Isn't that a side effect of masturbation?

We don't have that kind of chaotic system. You're only allowed one spouse at a time. Marriage can be abused, Linda Wolfe comes to mind. She holds the record for a woman being married the most times, she was married 23 times. The first time when she was 16 for " love ". The last time in 1996 for publicity. But by and large, the system works and marriage has earned new respect ( possibly by allowing gays to marry ) and Fidelity has increased in the past few years. Seems to me we're on the right track, why on Earth would anyone want to mess with that. " If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing. "
My post was directed at Meriweather.

So you're saying only the local but not the federal government should be involved in marriage. Is that correct?
Only local is. But the Full Faith and credit clause need to apply. An d Civil Rights is a Federal pervue, so the Feds have a say on what restrictions a state can place on marriage.

There are reasons to disallow gay marriage that have nothing to do with religion, but have everything to do with biology, which I have already listed. You keep slamming religion, but can't seem to tell me why the 'secular' state wouldn't or shouldn't disallow gay marriages.
Civil marriage has nothing to do with biology. it is a social contract that confers benefits. by your definition, couples who decide to not have kids, couple who are infertile, couples past child bearing age should not be allowed to marry.

I have no problem with the gov't presiding over civil courts. Or the state doing that.

It is asking the gov't for permission and the gov't granting special benefits that bothers me.
What special benefits are you talking about ?
I neither approve nor disapprove. I simply don't care any more than I care about someone marrying their pet or their bicycle. None of them are unions I care to enter into, and I assume by their own choice, they don't care to enter into a sacramental union as I did.
I couldn't find statistics on it, but most of my gay friends who have married had religious ceremonies with them. It came along 30 years too late for me.

What special benefits are you talking about ?

I couldn't find statistics on it, but most of my gay friends who have married had religious ceremonies with them. It came along 30 years too late for me.

There are many many benefits. As I recall there are around 1,400 benefits from federal, state and local gov'ts. Like being able to jointly adopt, being able to make medical decisions for your spouse if they are unable. Things like that.

There are reasons to disallow gay marriage that have nothing to do with religion, but have everything to do with biology, which I have already listed. You keep slamming religion, but can't seem to tell me why the 'secular' state wouldn't or shouldn't disallow gay marriages.
Okay there you have it it's okay to dehumanize millions of Americans just because of who they love. Sorry you are very sick person. And you're hiding behind your religion's mistaken idea of what marriage is. How many wives did Solomon have ? I stand corrected, you're hiding behind what your religions perverted idea of what marriage is.

The RCC has the same position it has always had concerning gays. Love the person. Disapprove of the immoral action. There is no hatred or bigotry to it. Protestant churches which have decided Jesus suddenly changed his mind on gay marriage in 2012 are losing members in droves. The Methodist Church is falling apart as we speak.
The churches disapproval of homosexual has fostered hatred and ill will towards gays since the Church began. Although I've heard the original Church didn't do any of this garbage. It is said it really got started with the evangelicals in the 1800s in this country. But that doesn't explain the Inquisition which openly targeted lesbians and called them witches.

There's something called a equality in secular government. Besides minorities are protected from discrimination and tyranny by the majority. That's part of the Constitution in case you weren't aware of it.

Civil marriage has nothing to do with biology. it is a social contract that confers benefits. by your definition, couples who decide to not have kids, couple who are infertile, couples past child bearing age should not be allowed to marry.
No, my definition is the same as America's has always been prior to 2015, that marriage is between men and women, the only combination that is capable of having coitus and of producing children. It's immaterial if some individuals are disabled or old. You are inserting an arbitrary definition of marriage that has zero to do with biology. No basis whatsoever, except a whim. So again, in a so-called secular society, you have government, again without biological basis, taking the position against Christianity. Therefore gay marriage is an atheist ruling. And that's my whole point.

No, my definition is the same as America's has always been prior to 2015, that marriage is between men and women, the only combination that is capable of having coitus and of producing children. It's immaterial if some individuals are disabled or old. You are inserting an arbitrary definition of marriage that has zero to do with biology. No basis whatsoever, except a whim. So again, in a so-called secular society, you have government, again without biological basis, taking the position against Christianity. Therefore gay marriage is an atheist ruling. And that's my whole point.
Your logic is hopelessly convoluted and perverted by your beliefs. I hope you can heal yourself, if not, ask that god that you believe in. Maybe he can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back