It has come to my attention that some people don't know how to edit out quote chains. I've made a little guide.

Anomalism

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2020
Personally I find it annoying when I log in to 20+ notifications that aren't actually responses to me, but rather tags from a quote chain that people aren't editing. Here is how to not be that person.

111111.png

This first image is what it looks like when I hit reply to a quote chain. To edit out the quote chain you have to mess with the code a little bit.

1111111111111111.png

Everything I put a red line through is what needs to be cut out for me to respond directly to TheProgressivePatriot rather than perpetuating a quote chain. Pay attention to the brackets. It's super simple.
111111111111111111111111111111111.png

This is what it should look like after you're done editing.

Personally I find it annoying when I log in to 20+ notifications that aren't actually responses to me but rather tags from a quote chain that people aren't editing. Here is how to not be that person.

View attachment 457664
This first image is what it looks like when I hit reply to a quote chain. To edit out the quote chain you have to mess with the code a little bit.

View attachment 457665
Everything I put a red line through is what needs to be cut out for me to respond directly to TheProgressivePatriot rather than perpetuating a quote chain. Pay attention to the brackets. It's super simple.
View attachment 457667

so progpatriot is your other identity on here,, thanks for letting us know,,

1. Highlight text you want to quote.
2. + quote button should appear. Click it.
3. Scroll down to box for posting and click insert quote. Insert the quote.

2. + guote button should appear. Click it.
3. Scroll down to box for posting and click attach quote. Attach the quote.

Yeah, there's more than one way to reach the objective. That's just how I do it.

Yeah that works BUT -- it's also abused when it cuts out the context of what the quoted text was referring to.

In other words if an entire quote consisted only of:
Yeah, there's more than one way to reach the objective. That's just how I do it.

--- no one would know what "it" is.

Yeah that works BUT -- it's also abused when it cuts out the context of what the quoted text was referring to.

In other words if an entire quote consisted only of:

Do you know how to get back to what they were replying to? Just click on their name in the quote and it takes you back to the string.

Do you know how to get back to what they were replying to? Just click on their name in the quote and it takes you back to the string.

They would if they're capable of reading the posts that preceded it.

That's making extra work for the reader.

And more to the point when context is truncated it's often cut out deliberately because it contradicts what the newer poster is alleging.

Personally I find it annoying when I log in to 20+ notifications that aren't actually responses to me but rather tags from a quote chain that people aren't editing. Here is how to not be that person.

View attachment 457664

View attachment 457665
View attachment 457667

Where are you getting that stupid shit from?

View attachment 457664

View attachment 457665
View attachment 457667

Where are you getting that stupid shit from?
you just told me,,

Forum List

Back