Islamic State: Arab Female F-16 Pilot Stirs Debate In Muslim World (+video)

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if there are many Muslim women cheering her on, even if they do it secretly. This is some achievement for a Muslim woman.

MIDDLE EAST OLIVE PRESS
Islamic State: Arab female F-16 pilot stirs debate in Muslim world (+video)

UAE fighter pilot Mariam al-Mansouri shot to fame last week for her role in a US-led bombing campaign in Syria. While Americans hailed her pluck, for Arabs it's more complicated.

By Christa Case Bryant, Staff writer SEPTEMBER 30, 2014
  • 0930-UAE-female-fighter-pilot_full_600.jpg

Emirates News Agency, WAM/AP/File
    View Caption
JERUSALEM — Last week Mariam al-Mansouri, a F-16 pilot from the United Arab Emirates, was introduced to the world. Smiling out from under her helmet and hijab after launching air strikes in Syria, part of a US-led campaign against Islamic State, her image went viral.

For some Americans, she was a sort of Katharine Hepburn meets Amelia Earhart who had shattered prevalent stereotypes of Arab women. A popular Internet meme reads: “hey ISIS. you were bombed by a woman. have a nice day.”

Continue reading at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/Olive-Press/2014/0930/Islamic-State-A

I wouldn't be surprised if there are many Muslim women cheering her on, even if they do it secretly. This is some achievement for a Muslim woman.

MIDDLE EAST OLIVE PRESS
Islamic State: Arab female F-16 pilot stirs debate in Muslim world (+video)

UAE fighter pilot Mariam al-Mansouri shot to fame last week for her role in a US-led bombing campaign in Syria. While Americans hailed her pluck, for Arabs it's more complicated.

By Christa Case Bryant, Staff writer SEPTEMBER 30, 2014
  • 0930-UAE-female-fighter-pilot_full_600.jpg

Emirates News Agency, WAM/AP/File
    View Caption
JERUSALEM — Last week Mariam al-Mansouri, a F-16 pilot from the United Arab Emirates, was introduced to the world. Smiling out from under her helmet and hijab after launching air strikes in Syria, part of a US-led campaign against Islamic State, her image went viral.

For some Americans, she was a sort of Katharine Hepburn meets Amelia Earhart who had shattered prevalent stereotypes of Arab women. A popular Internet meme reads: “hey ISIS. you were bombed by a woman. have a nice day.”

Continue reading at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/Olive-Press/2014/0930/Islamic-State-A

Is she permitted to drive a car?

I think the woman who wrote that piece, Aris, is a party pooper. I think it is great when a woman becomes a pilot no matter where she lives. How many of us (even men) would be brave enough to even go up in the air and actually fly a plane? I honestly don't know if I would. There have been many great women pilots in the past who were barnstormers and daredevils.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this article more.

Women and war UAE s first female fighter pilot and fighting misconceptions of sex The National

I think the woman who wrote that piece, Aris, is a party pooper. I think it is great when a woman becomes a pilot no matter where she lives. How many of us (even men) would be brave enough to even go up in the air and actually fly a plane? I honestly don't know if I would. There have been many great women pilots in the past who were barnstormers and daredevils.

Women and war UAE s first female fighter pilot and fighting misconceptions of sex The National

American veterans criticise comments by US news presenters about UAE x2019 s first female fighter pilot The National

on the backside of my business card it says

pilot extraordinaire occasional hero

--LOL

Forum List

Back