Is West VA turning against Joe Manchin?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I like Senator Joe....in a legislative body that is composed mostly of corruption and graft he stands out as a pretty honorable guy. At least that's the impression I get. He's not a follower and has no problems standing up to his own if he disagrees. Hard to find theses days. Looks like he's going down against the West VA governor who is surprisingly popular. Sometimes I just can't figure American politics.

Jo

This one wasn't hard to see coming. Joe's made his living being a conservative Democrat that props the coal industry in WV up. And that's played well. Until his own party became disenchanted with him and now wants nothing to do with him. Republicans finally have a candidate in the current governor that can beat him. Manchin's always walked the fine line between being a Democrat and his state of WV being deep blood red. In next year's case, the voters of WV are going to vote for the Republican. Not Joe.

Yes, he's going to lose his seat next year. One way or the other. And he knows this. Which is why he's exploring a run for President as an Independent.
But he's got absolutely no shot.

You need to pay closer attention. Justice is sued almost daily for not paying his bills. He claimed to be a billionaire and it took him forever to release his financial information and if you read closely., he might even be actually broke.

There is a big fight in the courts over who is going to repossess his helicopter he never paid for. In a televised debate he will never be able to stand for more than 10 minutes.

Court Orders Marshals To Seize Helicopter From Justice-Owned Company - West Virginia Public Broadcasting

Justice health issues delay bill signings

It's not a given that Manchin will even run again for Senate. Truthfully we need someone younger (than either candidate).

You need to pay closer attention. Justice is sued almost daily for not paying his bills. He claimed to be a billionaire and it took him forever to release his financial information and if you read closely., he might even be actually broke.

There is a big fight in the courts over who is going to repossess his helicopter he never paid for. In a televised debate he will never be able to stand for more than 10 minutes.

Court Orders Marshals To Seize Helicopter From Justice-Owned Company - West Virginia Public Broadcasting

It's not a given that Manchin will even run again for Senate. Truthfully we need someone younger (than either candidate).
He sold out his constituents in one of the extreme fiat currency printing legislations. And then feigned like he got screwed over. In politics that long and getting hood winked.

This one wasn't hard to see coming. Joe's made his living being a conservative Democrat that props the coal industry in WV up. And that's played well. Until his own party became disenchanted with him and now wants nothing to do with him. Republicans finally have a candidate in the current governor that can beat him. Manchin's always walked the fine line between being a Democrat and his state of WV being deep blood red. In next year's case, the voters of WV are going to vote for the Republican. Not Joe.

Yes, he's going to lose his seat next year. One way or the other. And he knows this. Which is why he's exploring a run for President as an Independent.
Joe isn't a man to be put in a box... He is far more independent than that...

Joe represents WV, that's it... They are heavily invested in Coal and so he defends coal. But they are also the poorest state in the nation and he fights for a social net to look after his state..

From 2011 to 2021 WV coal employment has gone from 21,000 to 11,000... This mainly because of automation and gas... The GOP blaming Democratic environment concerns is mainly BS used in campaigns..

1697802463262.png

1697802699711.png

So Mining is reducing while other industries have to take those places... Trump may have slowed a little but thats it slowed...

1697802894120.png

So while WV is emotionally attached to mining, at present it is on 1.6% of the workforce... This is the reason for the attachment

1697803161440.png

So 5 out 6 mining jobs have been lost since 1980 while production has increased..

In 2021, WV produced 78,000 tons of coal with a workforce of 11,500...

So while Joe can fight for coal, it is a loosing battle and he should be looking at what WV should be re-skilling to over a generation. Trump promise of bring coal jobs back was just bullshit and it plain to see why...

This is a tough sell for Joe but for WV they need him... If they get another bullshit artist who says to them bring back Coal, they will just dig them into a deeper hole...
What WV needs is Education, Broadband, Train links to other major cities... WV is pretty ideal for remote working...

Remote Work Incentives in Virginia

This program offered businesses up to $50,000 in tax credits for telework-related expenses. However, Telework.VA—the organization that administered the program—is still actively assisting companies and employees with resources and support
That is what is needed...

The laugh is Justice is almost as liberal as Joe....

In February 2021, Justice urged Senator Joe Manchin to vote for the $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposed by President Joe Biden, warning against being "fiscally responsible" and adding, "I don't really know exactly what the thinking could possibly be there. I mean, we got people that are really hurting

He was a Democrat in 2017..

The laugh is Justice is almost as liberal as Joe....

In February 2021, Justice urged Senator Joe Manchin to vote for the $1.9 trillion stimulus package proposed by President Joe Biden, warning against being "fiscally responsible" and adding, "I don't really know exactly what the thinking could possibly be there. I mean, we got people that are really hurting

He was a Democrat in 2017..

As you note, there is nothing "fiscally responsible" about Justice. Many will vote for him just because of the letter after his name. That is sad.

I really have no idea which way this race will go. The polling is schizophrenic but neither of them really has a strong solid base that will get them to 50%. Joe is tethered to coal, but Jim is tethered to gambling and rich folks being idle rich at the Greenbrier which doesn't sit well with a lot of the religious conservatives in the state. West Virginian voters are not the easiest to read the tea leaves on. It will just come down to which of them is in the news and for what reason come the day they vote me thinks.

I like Senator Joe....in a legislative body that is composed mostly of corruption and graft he stands out as a pretty honorable guy. At least that's the impression I get. He's not a follower and has no problems standing up to his own if he disagrees. Hard to find theses days. Looks like he's going down against the West VA governor who is surprisingly popular. Sometimes I just can't figure American politics.

Jo
I like Manchin too. The left would tell you that he is very dishonest, bought and paid for. Yes, if he runs against that one guy he will lose but Manchin is ahead of the other possibility. I really believe that Manchin will be running for pres on the No Labels ticket. Manchin did let Biden pull a fast one on him by talking Manchin into voting for a policy which supposedly was supposed to pay 500 billion down on the national debt. Then like a week later Biden forgave the student loans, which would have cost about that very same 500 billion that Biden had promised Manchin would go for paying down the debt. After that Manchin knew that Democrat's word means nothing.

I like Manchin too. The left would tell you that he is very dishonest, bought and paid for. Yes, if he runs against that one guy he will lose but Manchin is ahead of the other possibility. I really believe that Manchin will be running for pres on the No Labels ticket. Manchin did let Biden pull a fast one on him by talking Manchin into voting for a policy which supposedly was supposed to pay 500 billion down on the national debt. Then like a week later Biden forgave the student loans, which would have cost about that very same 500 billion that Biden had promised Manchin would go for paying down the debt. After that Manchin knew that Democrat's word means nothing.
I own property in WV and go into the state several times a year for one reason or the other. I have had a lifetime of contacts with it. My only real conclusion about its politics is that emotions play a big role in which way things fall, and often that comes down to spite voting.

Just as a reminder, this is a state that impeached its entire Supreme Court for spending "too much money" redecorating their offices.

Last edited:

Jo

You don't have a very good read of him.

Nothing that you wrote is relevant to a senators job, which is to vote on legislation.
You have anything on that?

Yeah, it's not as if he's heavily invested in a moribund industry he's keeping tied around West Virginia's neck.
How is he "keeping it tied around West Virginia's neck?" What investments does he have in coal?

• Funny
Reactions: cnm

He is a Democrat

Nothing that you wrote is relevant to a senators job, which is to vote on legislation.
You have anything on that?

Being fiscally responsible and paying your bills is irrelevant to the job of being a Senator?

Really?

Jo

Joe Mansion consistently votes for evil

Forum List

Back