Is today Independence Day, 4th of July Day or simply "fireworks day"?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Years ago Americans always referred to today as Independence Day but you rarely do now. What changed? Even us Canadians would learn of your freedom from the British monarchy through media osmosis, now it's just a sterile, spiritless "July 4th". If you don't remind your citizens what your Forefathers fought to leave, how do you expect a younger generation to care?

Years ago Americans always referred to today as Independence Day but you rarely do now. What changed? Even us Canadians would learn of your freedom from the British monarchy through media osmosis, now it's just a sterile, spiritless "July 4th". If you don't remind your citizens what your Forefathers fought to leave, how do you expect a younger generation to care?
Patriotic displays are fun and all but real patriotism is the willingness to make sacrifices for the sake of your countrymen. America still has plenty of that.

Patriotic displays are fun and all but real patriotism is the willingness to make sacrifices for the sake of your countrymen. America still has plenty of that.
True. To quote Obama though "words matter".

When I am greeted with "Happy 4th", I respond with "Happy Independence Day"

It's the reason for all the fireworks. You know, "The rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air".

It still makes me weep and hopefully always will.

Let me tell kind of a long story.

My late husband was a lifelong opera-quality tenor and very patriotic Japanese-descended American even after what his family suffered in the wake of Pearl Harbor. In his later years, he got called to sing the National Anthem at large gatherings, and it was a very important part of his life.

When his dementia demanded that he get better care than I alone could provide, one of his first positive experiences in the care facility was when a local a capella vocal group came to entertain. At the end of their sing along, they asked everyone to sing the Star Spangled Banner, and my dear husband's voice rang loud and clear, turning heads. As I looked to see his reaction, I saw a tear in the eye of my normally stoic husband.

Now and then, even as his voice faded, we'd sing it together and as he lost his mind, the National Anthem remained one connection to the real world that stayed solid.

Thanks for listening.

The trappings of nationalism are the same everywhere in the world. No one waves the flag harder than a dictator. That's not what makes a country great.
It depends on what one stands for. Individual liberty, free speech, expression and the like are worth fighting for. There is a reason many nations citizens dont fight with the same vigor as Americans, at least traditionally if you can silence the anti-Americans in your own country; they believe in what the are fighting for. Russians inherently know they are fighting for their oligarch not their own liberty, ditto for the N Koreans etc

It depends on what one stands for. Individual liberty, free speech, expression and the like are worth fighting for. There is a reason many nations citizens dont fight with the same vigor as Americans, at least traditionally if you can silence the anti-Americans in your own country; they believe in what the are fighting for. Russians inherently know they are fighting for their oligarch not their own liberty, ditto for the N Koreans etc
I have often heard that when a soldier goes to war he quickly ends up fighting for the survival of his comrades and not so much for ideological reasons. Even the soldiers of a dictatorship have this.

I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread:

Funny cartoon, but too true in my house.

Poor babies. And for some reason, this year the noisy festivities started Friday night. So far, four nights in a row of hell for my pooch. Today, we've had thunderstorms all morning, which is just as scary for her, if not more so.

All you can do is give them more treats and try to comfort them and pray that neighbors regain their senses before 3:00 AM.

Where do our polite neighbors to the north come up with this stuff? Nobody calls July 4th "fireworks day" and nobody ever did. Granted the last couple of decades of government sponsored education is lacking in historic perspective but all Americans understand the significance of "Independence Day".

America grows more disenchanted with it's gov't and itself as we point fingers at one another for our differences. I am not sure if today's schoolchildren are taught the positives of living in this country compared to a lot of other places both past and present that I learned so many years ago. Have we lost the values and principles that this country used to stand for? Maybe as a society we need to go through a period of introspection to regain an appreciation for who we are as a people and who we want to be.

America grows more disenchanted with it's gov't and itself as we point fingers at one another for our differences. I am not sure if today's schoolchildren are taught the positives of living in this country compared to a lot of other places both past and present that I learned so many years ago. Have we lost the values and principles that this country used to stand for? Maybe as a society we need to go through a period of introspection to regain an appreciation for who we are as a people and who we want to be.

Unfortunately, many "educators" today hate America but not enough to leave. I'll guess that their grooming would not be tolerated elsewhere and they think that they could not live without the perceived right to destroy innocent little lives.

Forum List

Back