Is there an EV in your future?

Yea, it makes perfect sense to disregard the experiences of actual EV owners, and believe some third-party research like you posted from a source nobody has heard of before. .... :cuckoo:

I know plenty of EV owners that absolutely love them.

I made myself one also. It's a folding bike. I can throw it in the back of my van.
I enjoy ebikes. I did a lot of research before I made my own ebike to steal other people's ideas. Many of them were folding types. I didn't need a folding bike. I have bike racks on my old Dodge conversion van.

It seems like those folding types of ebikes would be very convenient if you're single and live in a small apartment in the city or something and prefer not to waste money for space to store it.

You could just hang them up on the apartment wall or something.

Last edited:
At 57 years old, and pretty solid longevity on my mothers side, which I clearly take after... I will probably live another 30 + years. By the time EVs are the only option, and that is going to happen... (it may not be based on today's battery technology, but whatever technology it is, internal combustion won't be it) so chances are before I die - yes,

You bet there is!!!
I plan on buying a new golf cart when we move to the boonies.
Used to love riding around at night with the old cart,nice and quiet so you could sneak up and see the nocturnal animals.
1646356314096.png

L-I battery technology sucks. It is bulky, costly, inefficient and an an ecological disaster to produce.

My son has $60+K Tesla with their best battery pack. It is OK for his daily commute in Atlanta but it sucks for any long trip. His family came here to Central Florida (500 miles) this last weekend for his mother's birthday and they drove their gas car because they didn't want to spend the additional two hours each way charging the damn thing.

Then there was the time about a month after he got the vehicle when it suddenly went dead in the middle of Atlanta rush hour. The Atlanta police and the commuters were really pissed at the problem it caused with rush hour traffic that afternoon.

I'll never get one of the damn things.

Nope. My next purchase will be a C6 Z06 corvette. 7.0 427.........I got rid of mine a couple of years ago and really miss it.

EVs are most suitable for two-car households, especially where the EV is the smaller car. I bought one originally for diamond lane access, but found that not having to fill up at gas stations is a real convenience. Whether they are more economical than gas powered cars is another question, as is the ultimate disposal of their batteries. I don't like the idea of artificial government rebates, either, but they are a significant factor in the purchase of a new EV.

EVs are most suitable for two-car households, especially where the EV is the smaller car. I bought one originally for diamond lane access, but found that not having to fill up at gas stations is a real convenience. Whether they are more economical than gas powered cars is another question, as is the ultimate disposal of their batteries. I don't like the idea of artificial government rebates, either, but they are a significant factor in the purchase of a new EV.

It's only more convenient if you have a charger at home, and a charger where you work, so you can leave it charging when you're not driving it.

It is much more convenient to find a gasoline station to fuel up a conventional car, on the way home from work, than it is to find a charging station to charge an electric car, and then to have to wait there for hours for the car to charge. If the point is ever going to be reached when an electric car will be as convenient in this manner, I very much doubt if I will live to see that point.

I just recently learned that a good friend and colleague of mine, someone I would have expected to be smart enough to know better, bought an electric vehicle some time ago, and is learning the hard way what a bad idea it is for someone in our profession. I guess he has a charger at home, so he's OK as long as he gets projects nearby. But on more distant projects, he has to waste a lot of time, and go quite far out of his way, to get his car charged. Car chargers Are rarely, if ever found at construction sites, where whatever is ultimately to be there is still being built, and there are still plenty of places where there simply isn't a charger within fifty miles or so.

I guess he has a charger at home, so he's OK as long as he gets projects nearby. But on more distant projects, he has to waste a lot of time, and go quite far out of his way, to get his car charged.
Home charging at night is easy and efficient. I agree that driving beyond the range of the EV is problematic, although plug-in hybrids (or second cars) can eliminate this concern. Also, I wonder if the new (longer range) EV pickup trucks will prove more feasible at construction sites?

P.S. I do NOT support the "Green New Deal" or similar forms of government coercion.

Last edited:
Also, I wonder if the new (longer range) EV pickup trucks will prove more feasible at construction sites?

Ultimately, the problem is the same. No chargers at construction sites. Maybe there will be chargers at a particular site once it's finished, but not while we're still building it. And very often, no charger anywhere nearby. And if you don't have a charger at home, then you're going to have to stop somewhere on the way home, possibly dozens of miles off course, and wait hours to charge.

I just do not see any way for an electric vehicle under current technology and infrastructure, or under any that can reasonably be anticipated in the foreseeable future, to be practical for a construction worker.

I have linked a recent summary of currently-available EV's in the U.S. Other models are slowly dribbling into the marketplace. Most are priced out of the range of most consumers, although with the combination of the possible (up to) $7,500 tax credit and the fuel cost savings, if your budget for your next ICE car was $X, then you might be able to budge 1.15*X for an EV, provided you are comfortable with your own charging infrastructure where you live.

I'm not sure how the EPA calculates MPGE (miles per gallon equivalent), but it doesn't really matter. The number is there for you to compare one car with another, not to calculate your energy cost, month to month. For most purposes, 100 is "good" and much less than that starts to compromise whether it is beneficial to get an EV at all.

While skeptics abound, there is no question that EV's are LIKELY to be less troublesome and longer-lasting than a comparable ICE car. There is no radiator, no exhaust system, no electronic nannies to keep you from destroying the planet, and so on. Electric motors are, according to many reports, lasting longer than warranted or expected. As the market matures, there will be both OEM's and aftermarket shops that will replace individual dead cells, to spare you the cost of a five-figure replacement cost when the time inevitably comes. Parenthetically, I was in Amsterdam a few years ago, and was surprised to see almost the entire taxi fleet driving Telsa Model S sedans. THEY were reporting battery life of at least 500k km (300k miles), before the fully-charged, indicated range dropped below 80% of new. After that, I understand that it drops rather quickly.

The Tesla Model 3 continues to outshine all other CARS in its class. The price, range, and features are superior to the others, even though there is no longer any tax credit available. The Mustang also looks good, as does the Ionic5. VW is selling a shitload of ID4's in Europe, although there is nothing on the spec sheet that makes the mouth water.

The value of used EV's (almost all Tesla) is artificially depressed by horror stories about the cost of battery replacement, but I suspect that this issue is overblown. If you get a $90k Model S for thirty grand, then have to spend ten thousand replacing the battery, you still have a great car at a great price. And as I say, there is an emerging market of shops who will replace only the dead cells for a fraction of the cost.

One issue that I've wondered about is the issue of TRACTION. A lot of American car buyers, especially in the former snow belt (diminished due to Climate Change) are neurotic about winter driving and believe they need AWD in every vehicle in order to command the road. But I wonder...if you have an EV with the MOTOR over the drive wheels, coupled with good all-season tires and all-speed traction control, that vehicle should do perfectly well in all conditions up to a foot of snow, in which case you should stay home anyway.

While I won't get a vote, I will encourage my wife to trade her 3-series for an EV when the time comes in a year or so.

Any other/conflicting thoughts?
:dunno: American auto industry doesn't offer anything in electric/hybrid that I can use.

I have linked a recent summary of currently-available EV's in the U.S. Other models are slowly dribbling into the marketplace. Most are priced out of the range of most consumers, although with the combination of the possible (up to) $7,500 tax credit and the fuel cost savings, if your budget for your next ICE car was $X, then you might be able to budge 1.15*X for an EV, provided you are comfortable with your own charging infrastructure where you live.

I'm not sure how the EPA calculates MPGE (miles per gallon equivalent), but it doesn't really matter. The number is there for you to compare one car with another, not to calculate your energy cost, month to month. For most purposes, 100 is "good" and much less than that starts to compromise whether it is beneficial to get an EV at all.

While skeptics abound, there is no question that EV's are LIKELY to be less troublesome and longer-lasting than a comparable ICE car. There is no radiator, no exhaust system, no electronic nannies to keep you from destroying the planet, and so on. Electric motors are, according to many reports, lasting longer than warranted or expected. As the market matures, there will be both OEM's and aftermarket shops that will replace individual dead cells, to spare you the cost of a five-figure replacement cost when the time inevitably comes. Parenthetically, I was in Amsterdam a few years ago, and was surprised to see almost the entire taxi fleet driving Telsa Model S sedans. THEY were reporting battery life of at least 500k km (300k miles), before the fully-charged, indicated range dropped below 80% of new. After that, I understand that it drops rather quickly.

The Tesla Model 3 continues to outshine all other CARS in its class. The price, range, and features are superior to the others, even though there is no longer any tax credit available. The Mustang also looks good, as does the Ionic5. VW is selling a shitload of ID4's in Europe, although there is nothing on the spec sheet that makes the mouth water.

The value of used EV's (almost all Tesla) is artificially depressed by horror stories about the cost of battery replacement, but I suspect that this issue is overblown. If you get a $90k Model S for thirty grand, then have to spend ten thousand replacing the battery, you still have a great car at a great price. And as I say, there is an emerging market of shops who will replace only the dead cells for a fraction of the cost.

One issue that I've wondered about is the issue of TRACTION. A lot of American car buyers, especially in the former snow belt (diminished due to Climate Change) are neurotic about winter driving and believe they need AWD in every vehicle in order to command the road. But I wonder...if you have an EV with the MOTOR over the drive wheels, coupled with good all-season tires and all-speed traction control, that vehicle should do perfectly well in all conditions up to a foot of snow, in which case you should stay home anyway.

While I won't get a vote, I will encourage my wife to trade her 3-series for an EV when the time comes in a year or so.

Any other/conflicting thoughts?

Nope. Where I live they are not very useful.

If EV's are that good, makes you wonder why they have incentives to buy them!

Whether they are that good or not really isn't your call. It's not really up to you what others like and purchase. I really don't understand this kind of thinking. Should I argue that wheat is bad because we place subsidies on it?

Forum List

Back