Is the theocratic authoritarianism of the GOP on the rise or in eclipse?

With a weaponized Supreme Court latching onto make-believe cases to legislate that discrimination against legal marriages is legal, where is the nation headed?

John Adams who wrote to his wife Abigail that “My religion you know is not exactly conformable to that of the greatest part of the Christian World,” proclaimed in the Treaty of Tripoli that “the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.”

Thomas Jefferson, intensely interested in religious philosophy and an enthusiastic proponent of religions freedom, emphasize the need for “a wall of separation between church and state.”

RENDER UNTO CAESAR...

Did a fake Mexican-financed wall builder play a role in tearing down Jefferson's?View attachment 801228
For, verily, I proclaim unto you
"I did try and f*ck her, she was married...

And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything...
Grab them by the p*ssy. You can do anything!"

Has there been backsliding from patriotic, fundamental principles?

One religious sect that has been increasing politically-intrusive, Southern Baptists, lost nearly half a million members in 2022

The long, slow decline of the nation’s largest Protestant denomination continues.

Membership in the Southern Baptist Convention was down by nearly half a million in 2022…

the SBC had 13.2 million members in 2022, down from 13.68 million in 2021. That loss of 457,371 members is the largest in more than a century…

Once a denomination of 16.3 million, the SBC has declined by 1.5 million members since 2018, and by more than 3 million members since 2006. The COVID-19 pandemic played a role in the downturn, as did the reality that as older members die off, there are fewer young people to replace them.

What remain the nation's largest Protestant denomination is still adamant that a woman should submit to the will of her man, even if he’s a flaming anal aperture.

It decrees that a woman’s reproductive freedom should be abrogated to politicians, predominantly men, of course.

It vehemently opposes gender equality in marriage, in contrast to the overwhelming majority of Americans who are supportive of it.

Dominated by aging white men without a college degree, it is in denial of scientific awareness, particularly in climatology, and in medicine that recognizes conditions such as gender dysphoria. The thumpers insist that children suffering from the condition must be neglected rather than treated.

It’s hardly surprising that their veneration of a court-declared sexual abuser remains fanatical. The shrinking Southern Baptist Convention remains a seething hotbed of Trumpery,

Bart Barber, after being re-elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention, called Trump “a demonstrably evil man.”

“He’s vain, vulgar, vicious and vindictive,” Al Jackson, a retired pastor from Auburn, Alabama succinctly summed up the sore loser of the 2020 presidential election.

And what rough beast,
its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born

View attachment 801231

I don't think that the OP is particularly fond of the Conservative tack that the Republic seems to be taking at present... :laughing0301:

I don't think that the OP is particularly fond of the Conservative tack that the Republic seems to be taking at present... :laughing0301:
I respected the Republican Party when it had a libertarian philosophy.

Intrusive, authoritarian dictate, dogmatic statism, and cultish submission to a egomaniac are gross perversions of conservatism.

... It’s a shame that Barry Goldwater, is not around today to slap some sense into these Trump-clone Republicans who have declared an (un)holy war on a woman’s right to decide what’s best for her when pregnant.
Goldwater was an American politician, statesman, businessman, United States Air Force officer, and author who was a five-term Senator from Arizona (1953–1965, 1969–1987) and the Republican Party nominee for president in 1964.
Goldwater was himself pro-choice (also pro-gay and supported gays in the military), and his wife, Peggy, had helped to found an Arizona chapter of Planned Parenthood.
Goldwater was a classic conservative, a man of impeccable integrity, and an independent thinker. Were he alive today he’d probably kick Donald Trumps’s ass from his penthouse suite on top of Trump Towers, all the way down to the lobby and then out into the street’s gutter.
Here’s a few of the things Goldwater said over the years about about abortion.
• “A woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right.”
• “Abortion is not something the Republican Party should call for the abolition of, by legal means or by any other means.”
• “There is no way in the world that abortion is going to be abolished. It has been going on ever since man and woman lived together on this earth.”
• “Men (who are anti-abortion) should keep their asses out of doctor’s offices. That’s something between the pregnant woman and her doctor.”

Thank you.

I've always looked at this from a problem-solving perspective. And I guess I'm wrong, but I thought that's what politics are all about. The two ends right now are convinced that everything has to be done their way, and their way only. And they look at the problem-solving process as binary, all-or-nothing, myopic, zero sum, the winner and the loser, your way or my way. Period.

But that's not how an effective problem-solving process works. Such a process brings together ideas from everywhere without ego or tribalism, or territories. And with intellectual honesty and raw, fundamental curiosity. The common understanding that there is something BIGGER at hand.

And if you do it right, guess what happens? You create something NEW. Something in which EVERYONE INVOLVED has skin in the game and incentive to see work properly.

Something NEW, where we ALL want to see it succeed? Hmm, what would be an example of that? Let me think... Oh yeah, our Constitution.

:rolleyes:

j8rPuh6.jpg
"Centrism" has been destructive to the US. This is an all out war against the Democrats, who are the enemy. And they need to be destroyed.

I respected the Republican Party when it had a libertarian philosophy.

Intrusive, authoritarian dictate, dogmatic statism, and cultish submission to a egomaniac are gross perversions of conservatism.

... It’s a shame that Barry Goldwater, is not around today to slap some sense into these Trump-clone Republicans who have declared an (un)holy war on a woman’s right to decide what’s best for her when pregnant.
Goldwater was an American politician, statesman, businessman, United States Air Force officer, and author who was a five-term Senator from Arizona (1953–1965, 1969–1987) and the Republican Party nominee for president in 1964.
Goldwater was himself pro-choice (also pro-gay and supported gays in the military), and his wife, Peggy, had helped to found an Arizona chapter of Planned Parenthood.
Goldwater was a classic conservative, a man of impeccable integrity, and an independent thinker. Were he alive today he’d probably kick Donald Trumps’s ass from his penthouse suite on top of Trump Towers, all the way down to the lobby and then out into the street’s gutter.
Here’s a few of the things Goldwater said over the years about about abortion.
• “A woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right.”
• “Abortion is not something the Republican Party should call for the abolition of, by legal means or by any other means.”
• “There is no way in the world that abortion is going to be abolished. It has been going on ever since man and woman lived together on this earth.”
• “Men (who are anti-abortion) should keep their asses out of doctor’s offices. That’s something between the pregnant woman and her doctor.”
I remember going to a sporting event at Veterans Stadium. Very little security. Just a few of them. The fences around the stadium were not even high or nonexistent for security purposes. The prices for tickets were cheap along with the parking. At the start. You could take into the stadium large coolers and 2-gallon jugs of drink. Checked for liquor of course. The as it started slowly, the real jackboot on the neck was applied. Now most stadiums have electronic technologies and wands that employees have to wave around fans and endless security people. You can bring in a 12-inch by 12-inch clear plastic bag with food in it though as a consolation prize. Politicians and the corrupted elite did this. Just one unalienable right broken down to a few parts. We are free......comply...we are free...comply....we are free...comply..

I don't recall reading that he rejected democracy.

If that was a conclusion of yours....you forgot to attach the argument for such.
Declaring "an all out war against the Democrats, who are the enemy. And they need to be destroyed," is a blatant rejection of democracy - as would be some crackpot similarly advocating for "an all out war against the Republicans, who are the enemy. And they need to be destroyed,"

Any right wing that rises up will be crushed, their property confiscated, their minor children remanded to the state. The right is not in charge and never will be.

They want to "destroy" liberals and "destroy" centrists. Which only leaves their ideology.

The world has seen this before, and they're just coming right out and saying it now.
Such fanaticism is a threat to most Americans, including all Republicans who are not extremists.

Declaring "an all out war against the Democrats, who are the enemy. And they need to be destroyed," is a blatant rejection of democracy - as would be some crackpot similarly advocating for "an all out war against the Republicans, who are the enemy. And they need to be destroyed,"
Which is exactly what you want to do to real Americans, totalitarian scumbag.

Forum List

Back