is ted cruz eligible to run ??

It's a credit to republicans that Cruz's birth and personal history is open to the public. Too bad democrats don't have the same consideration for the American public..

Please share with all of us what about Cruz's birth and personal history that is 'open to the public' that Democratic candidates have not had 'open to the public'.

It's a credit to republicans that Cruz's birth and personal history is open to the public. Too bad democrats don't have the same consideration for the American public. John McCain was not born in the continental US but they made an exception because his father was a Navy Admiral and he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.
they didn't make an exception. nobody can. either it's law or not. either it's settled law or not. i have said from the beginning,
He's as eligible as Obama

there, someone finally named it.

I would argue that he can. The founders clearly recognized the legislatures authority to designate someone a natural born citizen. As they did in their changes to naturalization law.

Well, our laws recognize only two types of citizens: natural born (citizens at birth) and naturalized (citizens after birth). There is no third type.

Since Cruz was a US citizen at birth, he's natural born.
that's the meme you guys started. doesn't hold water.

andrew jackson is the key i think,

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

doesn't say "there are only two types of citizenships".

everyone has heard clarence thomas say they are evading the topic. so there it is. he knows more about it than anyone here.

1. Birthright citizenship in the United States refers to a person's acquisition of United States citizenship by virtue of the circumstances of his or her birth. It contrasts with citizenship acquired in other ways, for example by naturalization later in life.

Last edited:
It's a credit to republicans that Cruz's birth and personal history is open to the public. Too bad democrats don't have the same consideration for the American public. John McCain was not born in the continental US but they made an exception because his father was a Navy Admiral and he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.
they didn't make an exception. nobody can. either it's law or not. either it's settled law or not. i have said from the beginning,

I would argue that he can. The founders clearly recognized the legislatures authority to designate someone a natural born citizen. As they did in their changes to naturalization law.

Well, our laws recognize only two types of citizens: natural born (citizens at birth) and naturalized (citizens after birth). There is no third type.

that's the mem you guys started. doesn't hold water.

Sure it does. There's natural born and naturalized. What other type of citizen is there?

that's the meme you guys started. doesn't hold water.

andrew jackson is the key i think,

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

doesn't say "there are only two types of citizenships".

everyone has heard clarence thomas say they are evading the topic. so there it is. he knows more about it than anyone here.

1. Birthright citizenship in the United States refers to a person's acquisition of United States citizenship by virtue of the circumstances of his or her birth. It contrasts with citizenship acquired in other ways, for example by naturalization later in life.

The constittuion doesn't define natural born citizenship. The founders folded into 'natural born citizen' those who were born to US parents outside the US in one of the earliest Naturalization Acts. Demonstrating that through legislative action, someone can be recognized as natural born.

My argument is simple: our law only recognized two types of citizenship. Natural born (citizen at birth) and naturalized (citizen after birth).

Since Cruz was a citizen at birth, he's natural born. Our law doesn't have any other option.

that's the mem you guys started. doesn't hold water.

Sure it does. There's natural born and naturalized. What other type of citizen is there?

non citizen, dual citizen, grandfathered citizen (historic). temporary citizen, foreign born citizen. citizen kane ex pats....you get the idea...there is no legal precedent. wong kim ark never ran for president or vice, so moot.

Status as a natural-born citizen of the United States is one of the eligibility requirements established in the United States Constitution for election to the office of President or Vice President. This requirement was intended to protect the nation from foreign influence.

The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. A 2011Congressional Research Service report stated that

The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth," either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth." Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.[1]

The natural-born-citizen clause has been mentioned in passing in several decisions of the United States Supreme Court and lower courts dealing with the question of eligibility for citizenship by birth, but the Supreme Court has never directly addressed the question of a specific presidential or vice-presidential candidate's eligibility as a natural-born citizen.

no, wash, you still don't get it, and SCOTUS wll not address your questions

non citizen, dual citizen,grandfathered citizen. temporary citizen, foreign born citizen. you get the idea...

Non-citizen isn't a type of citizenship. Dual citizenship isn't recognized in the US. Grandfathered citizen isn't a type of citizen recognized by our laws. 'Temporary citizen' isn't a recognized by our laws. 'Foreign born citizen' isn't recognized by our laws.

There's only natural born (citizen at birth) and naturalized (citizen after birth).

That's it

The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth," either by being born "in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at birth." Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.[1]

Exactly. A natural born citizen is a citizen at birth. Exactly as I've said.

My argument is simple: our law only recognized two types of citizenship. Natural born (citizen at birth) and naturalized (citizen after birth).

show me this at constitutional level. not state statutes or something irrelevant.

no, wash, you still don't get it, and SCOTUS wll not address your questions
well then who will be president in 17, crystal ball. why would thomas say eveading the subject if he already knew you have declared it settled ??

also, can you tell me what at&t will do this year and who wins the stanley cup, would B much appreciate.

Last edited:

show me this at constitutional level. not state statutes or something irrelevant.

Cruz was born a citizen, sorry Skippy

The constitution doesn't define natural born citizenship. So its up to us to do so. For crying out loud, your OWN source just agreed with me.

The founders demonstrated that through legislative action, someone who was born outside the US to american parents can be considered a natural born citizen. This by STATUTE.

If the founders can through statute designate someone as natural born, then certainly our statutory laws are just as authoritative.

And our laws only recognize two types of citizenship: natural born (citizen at birth) and naturalized (citizen after birth).

non citizen, dual citizen,grandfathered citizen. temporary citizen, foreign born citizen. you get the idea...

Non-citizen isn't a type of citizenship. Dual citizenship isn't recognized in the US. Grandfathered citizen isn't a type of citizen recognized by our laws. 'Temporary citizen' isn't a recognized by our laws. 'Foreign born citizen' isn't recognized by our laws.

There's only natural born (citizen at birth) and naturalized (citizen after birth).

That's it

Exactly. A natural born citizen is a citizen at birth. Exactly as I've said.
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates:

wow, indicates, there's some cutting edge empiricism, i guess that's it then.

The whole Cruz issue is moot:

1. The whole question of "eligibility" is behind us forever. There are no rules.

2. I doubt Democrats would nominate Cruz and Republicans certainly won't. I do allow, however, if Republicans were to nominate McCain again Cruse would be a suitably left-leaning accompaniment as the VP candidate.

Forum List

Back