Is Stuart Stevens The New Conservative Benedict Arnold?

" On the GOP doing an "autopsy" after the 2012 election when Mitt Romney lost to Obama
--- because we'd only won the popular vote once since [the] 1988 presidential votes — it was presented as a moral mandate, that if you are going to deserve the right to be the governing party of this big, confusing, loud, changing country, you needed to reflect that. So then Donald Trump comes along, and you can almost hear this audible sigh of relief and all that got thrown out, "Well, thank God we don't have to pretend we care about this stuff. We can just win with white folks and we can just be comfortable with that." And I mean, it just showed how phony it was."

So Stu Stevens is getting all of this attention because he is admitting that Trump didn't remake the Republican party, but the Republican party made Trump?? Why does the mainstream media keep acting shocked that the republican party has a bunch of republicans in it?? While it is a fact that Stu Stevens will be viciously attacked and called a traitor, anti-Trumper, etc -- What he said is still true....Just like when Stu Stevens attacked people who said invading Iraq was wrong and Bush was a moron...will there be another rebranding effort after Trump like there was after Bush?

When you keep feeding your base the same bullshit for over 50 years, don't act shocked when your party becomes what you have been feeding it -- and it didn't start with Trump, and no, it wasn't Sarah Palin or Joe the Plumber that brought this era in either...

This has been around since the days of William F. Buckley...And as much as some conservatives want to convince themselves that there is no recessive gene in their party that took it over with racist dog whistles, sexism, celebration of intellectual rot and xenophobia -- that isn't true...that gene is dominant in their party and has been around for awhile (In both parties). One ideology did a better job of purging than the other.

It took Buckley 10 years to evolve from once claiming "The South Must Prevail" and saying the white race is superior and must hold all power -- from later claiming that his greatest legacy was keeping the conservative movement free of bigots, kooks and anti-Semites -- but if this were true, Trumpism wouldn't be a thing....and no matter how many pictures you take with black trump supporters while whining about identity politics -- the fact still remains..
Stevens argues that the party's support for Trump isn't just a pragmatic choice. Instead, he says, it reflects the party's complete abandonment of principles it long claimed to embrace, such as fiscal restraint, personal responsibility and family values.

The key phrase being "long claimed"....They never were really behind those values, and that has been evident since at least the Bush 41 presidency....Can't abandon ground that you never really held.

There is a market for a center-right party and a need for it in America. I think something else will evolve. But to get a sense of how deep Trumpism is instilled, there's another Republican Party out there and that's these governors. So if you look at these very popular governors in blue states like [Larry] Hogan in Maryland, Charlie Baker, Massachusetts, Phil Scott here in Vermont, I work for all these guys. And if the Republican Party had any sense, I'd say, look, these guys are wildly popular in the hardest market.

He's totally delusional if he thinks those leftist douchebag poseurs are "center-right" or popular....Hogan and Baker are as polular as cloud seeding hucksters at a cattleman's convention.
Well, there is a belief among these Lincoln projecters that people like Hogan or Dewine in Ohio are the path forward.....

But I think if those governors ever tried to run a presidential campaign and didnt at least give lip service to the racist inclinations of their base -- they will be called RINOS....
The Lincoln Projecters are a bunch of Bushbot neocons (i.e. poorly closeted leftists)...There's no way forward from people whose go-to policies are to print up more debt, go to war, and expand The State...We already have a political party that has that philosophy.

And take your "racist inclinations" shit and shove it up your ass.....Nobody with any sense is buying your race baiting bullshit anymore.
Cool story bro...

These people (white nationalists, neo-Nazis, neo-conservatives) ain't running in the Democrat party...they are running as Republicans because they believe their chances of winning are HIGHER...why? Because there is a base that is willing to vote for them.....I don't give a fuck if you believe it or not...

"It is what it is"

blablabla...RACISTS!....blablabla......WHITE NATIONALISTS!.....blablablabla...NAZIS!.....blablablablablablablablabla...

View attachment 374539

Nothing eh? Just ignore the kooks, whacko's, and conspiracy theorists. Nothing to see here. That's one of the Republican Party's issues. They've become a home for every group you are Blah, Blah, Blahing about. And it's about to cost them dearly. A start would be showing these people the door. Tell them to go form their own party. Maybe The Nationalist Party....ooops...too on the nose? :)
You assholes are the new McCarthyites.

" On the GOP doing an "autopsy" after the 2012 election when Mitt Romney lost to Obama
--- because we'd only won the popular vote once since [the] 1988 presidential votes — it was presented as a moral mandate, that if you are going to deserve the right to be the governing party of this big, confusing, loud, changing country, you needed to reflect that. So then Donald Trump comes along, and you can almost hear this audible sigh of relief and all that got thrown out, "Well, thank God we don't have to pretend we care about this stuff. We can just win with white folks and we can just be comfortable with that." And I mean, it just showed how phony it was."

So Stu Stevens is getting all of this attention because he is admitting that Trump didn't remake the Republican party, but the Republican party made Trump?? Why does the mainstream media keep acting shocked that the republican party has a bunch of republicans in it?? While it is a fact that Stu Stevens will be viciously attacked and called a traitor, anti-Trumper, etc -- What he said is still true....Just like when Stu Stevens attacked people who said invading Iraq was wrong and Bush was a moron...will there be another rebranding effort after Trump like there was after Bush?

When you keep feeding your base the same bullshit for over 50 years, don't act shocked when your party becomes what you have been feeding it -- and it didn't start with Trump, and no, it wasn't Sarah Palin or Joe the Plumber that brought this era in either...

This has been around since the days of William F. Buckley...And as much as some conservatives want to convince themselves that there is no recessive gene in their party that took it over with racist dog whistles, sexism, celebration of intellectual rot and xenophobia -- that isn't true...that gene is dominant in their party and has been around for awhile (In both parties). One ideology did a better job of purging than the other.

It took Buckley 10 years to evolve from once claiming "The South Must Prevail" and saying the white race is superior and must hold all power -- from later claiming that his greatest legacy was keeping the conservative movement free of bigots, kooks and anti-Semites -- but if this were true, Trumpism wouldn't be a thing....and no matter how many pictures you take with black trump supporters while whining about identity politics -- the fact still remains..
Stevens argues that the party's support for Trump isn't just a pragmatic choice. Instead, he says, it reflects the party's complete abandonment of principles it long claimed to embrace, such as fiscal restraint, personal responsibility and family values.

The key phrase being "long claimed"....They never were really behind those values, and that has been evident since at least the Bush 41 presidency....Can't abandon ground that you never really held.

There is a market for a center-right party and a need for it in America. I think something else will evolve. But to get a sense of how deep Trumpism is instilled, there's another Republican Party out there and that's these governors. So if you look at these very popular governors in blue states like [Larry] Hogan in Maryland, Charlie Baker, Massachusetts, Phil Scott here in Vermont, I work for all these guys. And if the Republican Party had any sense, I'd say, look, these guys are wildly popular in the hardest market.

He's totally delusional if he thinks those leftist douchebag poseurs are "center-right" or popular....Hogan and Baker are as polular as cloud seeding hucksters at a cattleman's convention.
Well, there is a belief among these Lincoln projecters that people like Hogan or Dewine in Ohio are the path forward.....

But I think if those governors ever tried to run a presidential campaign and didnt at least give lip service to the racist inclinations of their base -- they will be called RINOS....
The Lincoln Projecters are a bunch of Bushbot neocons (i.e. poorly closeted leftists)...There's no way forward from people whose go-to policies are to print up more debt, go to war, and expand The State...We already have a political party that has that philosophy.

And take your "racist inclinations" shit and shove it up your ass.....Nobody with any sense is buying your race baiting bullshit anymore.
Cool story bro...

These people (white nationalists, neo-Nazis, neo-conservatives) ain't running in the Democrat party...they are running as Republicans because they believe their chances of winning are HIGHER...why? Because there is a base that is willing to vote for them.....I don't give a fuck if you believe it or not...

"It is what it is"

blablabla...RACISTS!....blablabla......WHITE NATIONALISTS!.....blablablabla...NAZIS!.....blablablablablablablablabla...

View attachment 374539

Nothing eh? Just ignore the kooks, whacko's, and conspiracy theorists. Nothing to see here. That's one of the Republican Party's issues. They've become a home for every group you are Blah, Blah, Blahing about. And it's about to cost them dearly. A start would be showing these people the door. Tell them to go form their own party. Maybe The Nationalist Party....ooops...too on the nose? :)
You say "McCarthyites" like it is a bad thing....Why is that? Did Joseph McCarthy do something bad or something??

Let's talk about it...what did he do?

Don't just throw terms out there, link it to what you are talking about now

Cool story bro...

"It is what it is"

View attachment 374539

Sorry, the crazies seem to be inhabiting your side of the fence. Banish those people and maybe you might see Republicans back on track. Otherwise, get ready for a crapload of QAnon. :)

Hardly. There is nothing new about the "never trumpers", and I am sure that President Trump doesn't expect any loyalty from this fellow. The idea that the GOP should follow the Romney Model and be satisfied with a respectable 2nd place isn't something that President Trump thinks is sustainable. And personally I agree. What is the purpose of writing position papers or giving money and speeches, if you are never going to be able to actual implement your policies?

Donald Trump hjas singlehandedly destroyed the Reagan coalition. It consisted of suburban and rural voters. Trump has lost the suburban component. What is left is a rural vote that is dwindling. The problem is that Republicans have no policies to implement. Republicans have been promising a healthcare alternative for 10 years now.

Last edited:
He's a classical Republican as distinct from the current crop of agent provocateurs.

If "Classical Republicans" are Republicans who never speak ill of a democrat and lie down quietly, ride in the back of the bus and are content to be pathetic losers, I think you're right. This gentlemen is a veteran of the Romney Atrocity of 2012.

Ronald Reagan never spoke ill of anyone else. Yet he still got his point across. Yelling and screaming and people get you nowhere yet that is what Trump is down to.

A majority of voters are well aware of the fact that Trump and Republicans are racist. They are also sexist. Also the choice of Harris certainly brings back the Kavanaugh hearings which started the destruction of the Republican Party among female voters. It is not inconceivable that two thirds of female voters could vote for Biden.

He's a classical Republican as distinct from the current crop of agent provocateurs.

If "Classical Republicans" are Republicans who never speak ill of a democrat and lie down quietly, ride in the back of the bus and are content to be pathetic losers, I think you're right. This gentlemen is a veteran of the Romney Atrocity of 2012.

Ronald Reagan never spoke ill of anyone else.

He called the Soviets "The Evil Empire". The only people who were upset were the Democrats.

Forum List

Back