Is religion making a come back in Hollywood?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I watched two TV series this weekend on Netflix.

The first was Jane the Virgin, which is about a Catholic girl who has sworn a vow of virginity until marriage. The characters are portrayed as going to church and praying, especially when one character gets sick with cancer.

The second was Away, about a flight of five astronauts to Mars. One of the characters is a very religious Jew and he leads the other characters in prayer during their many life-threatening crises.

Is this a trend?

Yes ... but it's not the religion you might think.

d023e54832854868a1abbff916888338.jpg

The first was Jane the Virgin, which is about a Catholic girl who has sworn a vow of virginity until marriage. The characters are portrayed as going to church and praying, especially when one character gets sick with cancer.

The second was Away, about a flight of five astronauts to Mars. One of the characters is a very religious Jew and he leads the other characters in prayer during their many life-threatening crises.

Is this a trend?

Looking forward to the Jewish astronaut leading them in the sacrifice of a goat.
Goats Are Rescued On Their Way To Being Sacrificed In Jerusalem

The Hollywood versions are just pagan materialist cult copycats of Judeo-Christian theology for the simple-minded, not to be taken seriously. For all the phony noise about 'crazy southern evangelicals', LA is the true center of loony cults that attract the mentally ill, especially Jewish cults.

The Hollywood versions are just pagan materialist cult copycats of Judeo-Christian theology for the simple-minded, not to be taken seriously. For all the phony noise about 'crazy southern evangelicals', LA is the true center of loony cults that attract the mentally ill, especially Jewish cults.

Seems I heard Jerry Falwell and Kenneth Copeland say the same thing just a couple of weeks ago.

Seems I heard Jerry Falwell and Kenneth Copeland say the same thing just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not at all surprised you watch those two.

Is this a trend?
I would bet it is a set-up to ultimately demonstrate that religion is unreliable.

They like to tell Da Xians n Joos what they're supposed to believe and practice, even though they've never read any of the books or the literature in the lobby.
They like to tell Da Xians n Joos what they're supposed to believe and practice, even though they've never read any of the books or the literature in the lobby.
and their sanity remains intact - unlike the sicko's, raving religious fanatics.

Is this a trend?

What's a trend? Spirituality has always been there inside of all of us. Some decades ago, I had a boss who was Jewish. She said to me that I was a good Jew, I just didn't know it. I started out a Catholic. Decades later, I think that she was right. One has to have a core belief that there is a Supreme Being. We do not send our fellow human beings to gas chambers or pump them full of bullets. Nor do we separate little children from their moms and dads. If this makes me a good Jew. Thank you. I'm on it!

Is this a trend?

I don't know about religion making a comeback in Hollywood films and TV etc But I know that religion is very popular among peoples still. A week and a half ago I was in Los Angeles for six days (Tuesday-Monday), this to buy a house in Benedict Canyon and many peoples I know knew I wanted to know about the Roman Catholic Missions and to get one to join and I was amazed at how many there are to choose from and I narrowed it down to two Roman Catholic Missions.

I first went to The Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, this is on Santa Monica Blvd and I met Fr Rolando who is the Priest, he's very nice, he's Filipino, they have a majority Hispanic and Filipino Community at that Church, which I'm okay with, it seems a good place.

I did also visit The Church of The Good Shepherd, which is on North Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills and is nearer to Benedict Canyon than The Immaculate Heart of Mary and this also is excellent

Humans are hardwired for faith. It is an artifact of intelligence. It was for good reason that David Foster Wallace said we all worship something and that the only choice we have is in choosing what we worship.

So as much as some people would like for faith and religion to perish, they an't going anywhere. It's cyclical. When times are tough people return to God. It's been that way for thousands of years. And it will be that way for thousands of years more.

1599929637189.png

Humans are hardwired for faith. It is an artifact of intelligence. It was for good reason that David Foster Wallace said we all worship something and that the only choice we have is in choosing what we worship.

So as much as some people would like for faith and religion to perish, they an't going anywhere. It's cyclical. When times are tough people return to God. It's been that way for thousands of years. And it will be that way for thousands of years more.

View attachment 387713
39972_10100152651756476_2511083_56218895_4827826_n.jpg

Forum List

Back