is 'principle' a euphemism for ideology

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
I am watching Conversations with Conservatives with House members which was held earlier today. Several times I heard that they were going to stand on 'principle'. What does it mean to stand on principle when casting votes on legislation.

Rep. Massie does not believe in human caused global warming I just found out.

And they will continue their effort to defund PlannedParenthood.

Sectary of State Hillary Clinton will be testifying on Benghazi in the House tomorrow btw.

Last edited:
Informally, I would consider an "ideology" to be a collection of principles.

Not that today's self-styled conservatives have much of a coherent ideology to begin with...

That's it, keep reassuring yourselves in your little "progressive" chat room. Don't let any facts or logic enter into the discussion.

Ideology used to be a collection of political principles about the role of government. Now it is a set of talking points designed to demonize those with whom you disagree and prevent them from offering their proposals to voters.

That's it, keep reassuring yourselves in your little "progressive" chat room. Don't let any facts or logic enter into the discussion.

Ideology used to be a collection of political principles about the role of government. Now it is a set of talking points designed to demonize those with whom you disagree and prevent them from offering their proposals to voters.

Ideology/principle, I have no preference which word you use. The question still stands. How does ideology translate from the purposes the congressmen were sent to do and how they vote in Congress?

You're half there. Ideology today is used as a shorthand for lazy partisan voters on both sides to say "this is my man" or "I hate that guy." It cuts both ways, so there's no need to act like a paranoid idiot over it.

Neither party has principles any more. But they work very, very hard to pay lip service to them!

It works for the piss drinkers. Magic words for magical thinkers. The Rube Credo: "If my guy said it, it must be true. If their guy said it, it must be a bad thing and I must oppose it!"

Forum List

Back