Is Obamacare causing the shrinkage of the "middle class"?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Employers are cutting employee hours because of Obamacare forces employers to pay a penalty!
That simple.

However, many economists agree that one of the direct impacts of this new legislation is more part-time jobs and reduced hours for workers.

You see, under the employer mandate of Obamacare, businesses employing 50 or more workers will be forced to offer health insurance or pay a penalty of $2,000 per full-time worker (i.e., those working over 30 hours per week).

The simple way to get around this penalty is obviously to reduce each employee's hours, but offset that by hiring more workers.

"Our analysis of a similar program in Massachusetts suggested that this law could slow job growth in the United States," wrote UBS's Drew Matus in a June research note. "Given the impact on Massachusetts, we could see a reduction in job growth of almost 500,000 during the first few years of the act’s implementation. Alternatively, we could see more hiring driven by part-timers not eligible for health insurance (which could increase hiring) with a commensurate decline in the average workweek."

BEFORE the recession, Richard Clark’s cleaning company in Florida had 200 employees, about half of them working full time.
These days it has about 150, with 80% part-time. The downturn explains some of this.
But Mr Clark also blames Barack Obama’s health reform...

Mr Clark says he is "very careful with the threshold". To keep his full-time workforce below the magic number of 50, he is relying more on part-timers. He is not alone. More than one in ten firms surveyed by Mercer, a consultancy--and one in five retail and hospitality companies--say they will cut workers’ hours because of Obamacare. A hundred part-timers can flip as many burgers as 50 full-timers, and the former will soon be much cheaper.
Here's What Economists Are Saying About The Claim That Obamacare Is Causing More Jobs To Be Part Time

Except for the FACT that the middle class has been "shrinking" since Ronnie RayGun declared war on them ... sure.

Just like Obama is the cause of unrest in the Middle East cuz, as we all know, they had never had any problems before he was elected, right?

And, of course, there has never been racism on the planet until Obama was elected.

I remember very well when RayGun turned the US into a debtor nation and raised taxes on the middle class while cutting taxes for his 1% cronies.

Hospitals were hard hit but companies across the US were looting their employee's pension plans. Long list but hey, the dumb ass RWNJs will blame ObamaCare because that's what the 1% has told them to do.

The decline of the middle class started when Jr. gave all those tax breaks to the wealthy.

It started long before the ACA was passed.

And who are you? The above people hire people. What do you do?
Make that dumb ass claim with some statistics ok?
More importantly what the hell does "tax breaks" have to do with it? Your logic is so lame!

Except for the FACT that the middle class has been "shrinking" since Ronnie RayGun declared war on them ... sure.

Just like Obama is the cause of unrest in the Middle East cuz, as we all know, they had never had any problems before he was elected, right?

And, of course, there has never been racism on the planet until Obama was elected.

I remember very well when RayGun turned the US into a debtor nation and raised taxes on the middle class while cutting taxes for his 1% cronies.

Hospitals were hard hit but companies across the US were looting their employee's pension plans. Long list but hey, the dumb ass RWNJs will blame ObamaCare because that's what the 1% has told them to do.

WHAT does "tax breaks have to do with shrinking middle class"?
What does "hospitals" have to do with "shrinking middle class"?
Dumb ass people like you probably think there were 46 million uninsured americans right?
Dumb ass people like you have not the slightest inkling on how businesses work.
HOW in the hell do companies LOOT pension plans? Please explain that to me you dummy!

Dumb ass people like you probably think there were 46 million uninsured americans right?
HOW in the hell do companies LOOT pension plans? Please explain that to me you dummy!

There was a girl that worked for walgreens and was almost ready for retirement. They found a reason to fire her, it was very upsetting.
Even a big place like that doesn't want to pay for insurance...and this started long before obamacare..

The decline of the middle class started when Jr. gave all those tax breaks to the wealthy.

Giving the middle class back more of the money they earned sounds like a good idea to me. You do know that every one that got a paycheck got a tax bread don't you?

There was a girl that worked for walgreens and was almost ready for retirement. They found a reason to fire her, it was very upsetting.
Even a big place like that doesn't want to pay for insurance...and this started long before obamacare..

Yep. I remember a friend who was forced to retire from his job while Reagan was prez and lost his entire pension.

Hospitals were forced to put full timers on part time and lost their benefits - while Reagan was prez.

Its just idiocy to say that Obama has anything at all to do with what we've been seeing for many years now. And now, RWs want another Repub in the WH so more gets taken away from from the working and poor class.

Giving the middle class back more of the money they earned sounds like a good idea to me. You do know that every one that got a paycheck got a tax bread don't you?

Uh, you're confusing that with what Obama did.

I guess you are right. After all I am now saving $2500 a year on my health insurance, just like Obama said I would. LOL

I guess you are right. After all I am now saving $2500 a year on my health insurance, just like Obama said I would. LOL

That's two separate subjects, two issues.

No wonder you're RW.

Luddy is trying to rewrite history like heshe always does. It's amazing how the facts tell a completely different story. For the middle class especially, Reagan was a success, Obama an epic failure.

Reaganomics Vs. Obamanomics: Facts And Figures

Remember all the stuff we used to manufacture in America during the Reagan era? Remember those jobs? Where are they now?

and btw:

CPSCharticle_fig3.png

I don't see the Reagan years standing out as anything other than steep portion of the above decline. Do you?

I usually don't have to look very hard for a reason to fire someone. The ones I fire have lots of material to choose from generally. It's just a question of which one is the last one.

So explain why her being ready for retirement would cost Walgreen's money?
Her pension fund is NOT under the control of Walgreens.
Walgreens doesn't send her the retirement check.
The insurance company that manages the Walgreen's pension fund sends the money.
Walgreens has over the years paid into the insurance company for the girl's pension.
So there is no financial rationale just to fire the girl to do what?

Walgreens has over the years paid into the insurance company for the girl's pension.

I am really not sure, but she went to an attorney . not sure what happened. I looked this up for you.

Retirement Benefits

The principal retirement plan for employees is the Walgreen Profit-Sharing Retirement Trust to which both the company and the employees contribute
The company provides certain health insurance benefits for retired employees who meet eligibility requirements, including age, years of service and date of hire. This year the company announced a change to the retiree medical and prescription drug plans, which impacts the company's benefit obligation. For a select group of eligible employees, the company will contribute a flat dollar contribution towards retiree medical and prescription drug coverage based on years of service. This flat dollar contribution will be indexed on an annual basis. The costs of these benefits are accrued over the period earned. The company's postretirement health benefit plans are not funded.

Components of net periodic benefit costs (In Millions):

Retirement Benefits for Walgreen_Company (WAG)

Learn how to read

Real per-capita disposable income increased by 18% from 1982 to 1989, meaning the American standard of living increased by almost 20% in just seven years. The poverty rate declined every year from 1984 to 1989, dropping by one-sixth from its peak. The stock market more than tripled in value from 1980 to 1990, a larger increase than in any previous decade.

I am really not sure, but she went to an attorney . not sure what happened. I looked this up for you.

Retirement Benefits

The principal retirement plan for employees is the Walgreen Profit-Sharing Retirement Trust to which both the company and the employees contribute
The company provides certain health insurance benefits for retired employees who meet eligibility requirements, including age, years of service and date of hire. This year the company announced a change to the retiree medical and prescription drug plans, which impacts the company's benefit obligation. For a select group of eligible employees, the company will contribute a flat dollar contribution towards retiree medical and prescription drug coverage based on years of service. This flat dollar contribution will be indexed on an annual basis. The costs of these benefits are accrued over the period earned. The company's postretirement health benefit plans are not funded.

Components of net periodic benefit costs (In Millions):

Retirement Benefits for Walgreen_Company (WAG)

So by firing one girl Walgreen's saved money is what you are saying.

Raygun did it.

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 30 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.

Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:

1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%

A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:

1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%

A 10% Decrease.

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)
2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb...able=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/
5/6 = http://www.businessinsider.com/15-c...lity-in-america-2010-4?slop=1#slideshow-start

Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

Employers are cutting employee hours because of Obamacare forces employers to pay a penalty!
That simple.

Except no, they aren't.

ObamaCare has not caused employers to shift workers into part-time work, according to a new study.

The study, released Tuesday in the journal Health Affairs, examines the claim made by critics of the law that employers will make more people work part-time in order to avoid having to give them health insurance.

The law mandates that employers provide health insurance for people working 30 hours or more per week. This had sparked reports that some employers would cut hours to avoid paying out insurance.

However, the study, which looks at data from the Current Population Survey, does not find evidence to support suggestions the law would have such an effect.

The authors write that their study finds “no evidence consistent with the thesis that the ACA caused an overall increase in part-time employment in the United States.”

The probability of working 25-29 hours a week has stayed essentially flat over the last few years, even after the employer mandate went into effect in 2015. The probability of working 30-34 hours also did not decrease.

Forum List

Back