Is Journalism Dead?

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
From an experienced journalist..........

Is Journalism Dead?

IZZY LEMBERG
August 7, 2014

I have been a journalist for a quarter of a century. I have covered terrorism both in Israel and internationally. I reported on the war in the Balkans, on upheavals in Russia since the fall of the Communism, on peace negotiations between Israel, the Palestinians and the Syrians. I have covered the synagogue bombings in Istanbul and I covered the hotel bombing in Taba, Egypt in 2004.

In the early days of what looks like a ceasefire that may hold in Israel, and in the days before war crime charges will most certainly be filed against Israel, I am more worried than ever that my profession has been compromised; some would even say that journalism is dead.

It was during the reporting on the Second Intifada in Israel that I began to notice an erosion of the basic tenets of journalism. Journalists became vehicles for the Palestinian narrative of injustice rather than simply impartial observers of a complex conflict.

Read more:

Is Journalism Dead? | Izzy Lemberg | The Blogs | The Times of Israel

Journalism in the middle east has always been a propaganda game. Journalist are allowed if they get the "correct" point of view and kept away from the "incorrect" view points.
Kidnapping, physical abuse, loss of credentials, accident, confinement....... threats are all part of the risks trying to report the news in the middle east.

Who, what, when, where, why are the five pillars of journalism.

I have noticed that "why" is being eliminated.

Probably because if we knew why things happen the finger points back to the "wrong" people.

Who, what, when, where, why are the five pillars of journalism.

I have noticed that "why" is being eliminated.

Probably because if we knew why things happen the finger points back to the "wrong" people.

Why gets into opinion and editorializing. Why is subjective to each side. Why can lean too much on propaganda.

The other 4 "W" will be similar across the spectrum of news sources. The last "Why" will vary.

exactly , The WHY was supposed to be discerned by the reader of the the ' who , what , when and where ' . I think and I learned that in 7th grade . Journalists where supposed to be the independent Fifth Estate keeping government in line as they reported nothing but FACTS to the people . I think I'm correct but 7th grade was 50 some years ago . AND --- Yes , I think that mainline journalism that can be trusted to report facts is dead .

and , I see the lack of honest reporting in the USA and on all subject from tea party to the middle east . At one time journalist were honorable people but they are now nothing but showmen and cheerleaders shaping public opinion .

Colloquialization of Access

Journalism has simply changed. You can find an article about fashion magnate Lagerfeld on the populism-chic Gothamist Magazine. People care about 'news' in the entertainment industry, and Planet Hollywood creates a culture of confetti.

You read about female musician-superstar Madonna having falling outs with Versace/Valentino and then making up, and it becomes distributed like it's real news. People care about people, albeit with doses of basic vanities.

Remember, the great civil servant alter ego of the world's most popular comic book superhero, Superman (DC Comics), is a mild-mannered reporter working for the news agency the Daily Planet.

:afro:

Network film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

daily-planet.jpg

Forum List

Back