Is it wrong savory oatmeal sounds delicious?

I've made something like this before and it turned out just awful. Mine had this horrid gluey texture where each bite felt like I was swallowing mortar. Can't say I'll it again soon.

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
The texter is what I think I'd find off putting.
Let us know how it comes out.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
Definitely going to have to try that.
You'll probably like it. Kinda like grits served like pancakes. Of course it goes well with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs too. Ever tried pork tenderloin sliced and fried up for breakfast with eggs? Another alternative for me is fresh caught bass fried up for breakfast.

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
They're delicious that way. I always have trouble with them sticking to the bottom of the frypan, though.

I'm shocked I've never heard of them living in Texas my whole life.
Maybe it's a regional thing.

Interesting.

They're delicious that way. I always have trouble with them sticking to the bottom of the frypan, though.
They don't stick to a good non stick pan or even a properly seasoned cast iron skillet with bacon drippings.

Interesting.

You'll probably like it. Kinda like grits served like pancakes. Of course it goes well with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs too. Ever tried pork tenderloin sliced and fried up for breakfast with eggs? Another alternative for me is fresh caught bass fried up for breakfast.

I think I've cooked up every animal known to man with eggs for breakfast.
Where did you have this? Like I said I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard of grits cooked this way.

Interesting.

Probably never had any leftover at your house. My grandmother used to do it.

Interesting.

Now that reminds me of fried mush.

What is mush? It's made from cornmeal. Think polenta but softer.

You make your mush..pour it in a pan and refrigerate overnight. Once it's set up it's semi gellatious. Slice it in 1/2 inch wide slices and fry it up.

Crispy on the outside...custardy on the inside. Maple syrup ... Delicious...

Interesting.

It's a deep south thing I think and Texas isn't the deep south. I think of the deep South as South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.

Raisin-Cinnamon-Steel-Cut-Oatmeal-8.jpg

Interesting.

Where did you have this? Like I said I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard of grits cooked this way.
Well I can't say for sure I was born in Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley, then grew up in both of the Carolinas, north first then south.

Cant wait to ask the Wife if She's ever heard of fried grits.
She grew up in a town of around 250 people back in Her day,now it has 471...Bedias Texas.
So she's Hardcore Countr
Interesting.

It's a deep south thing I think and Texas isn't the deep south. I think of the deep South as South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.

Geographically we're further south but I see your point.
Texas has a lot of different food influences,some deep south some cajun some Mexican some French.
Things like mustard greens and the like are the same throughout the south.

Interesting.

Well I can't say for sure I was born in Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley, then grew up in both of the Carolinas, north first then south.

So it sounds like a regional thing.

Interesting.

Rattlesnake? Tastes like chicken. LOL

I've made something like this before and it turned out just awful. Mine had this horrid gluey texture where each bite felt like I was swallowing mortar. Can't say I'll it again soon.

I can definitely see that happening.

I think the moisture from the soy sauce and egg yolk eliminate the glueyness.

Interesting.

Probably never had any leftover at your house. My grandmother used to do it.

Thats really not the point I'm trying to make.
I cook ...A Lot!!! I just think I would have heard about them over the last 55 years.
And large portion of my cooking revolves around Southern Foods and mainly towards Texas staples.

Interesting.

Kinda...I'd say it's closer to frog.

She grew up in a town of around 250 people back in Her day,now it has 471...Bedias Texas.
So she's Hardcore Countr
Interesting.

Texas has a lot of different food influences,some deep south some cajun some Mexican some French.
I love a good mess of greens with bacon drippings. Mustard greens, turnip greens etc. Gotta cook the hell out of em though.
Texas has the best brisket but NC has the best pulled pork. I'm a real barbeque fan too and I don't mean grilled but cooked low and slow with smoke. BTW that's good with eggs for breakfast too either brisket or pulled pork. Fried or scrambled eggs.

Interesting.

LOL frog legs are too damn much work for too little meat. Beat's starvation though.

So she's Hardcore Countr
Interesting.

I love a good mess of greens with bacon drippings. Mustard greens, turnip greens etc. Gotta cook the hell out of em though.
Texas has the best brisket but NC has the best pulled pork. I'm a real barbeque fan too and I don't mean grilled but cooked low and slow with smoke. BTW that's good with eggs for breakfast too either brisket or pulled pork. Fried or scrambled eggs.

If you like mustard greens or any other greens for that matter this is a kick ass recipe!!!
Be warned,it's pretty involved,but not difficult.

Interesting.

LOL frog legs are too damn much work for too little meat. Beat's starvation though.

Whaaaat!!??
You get some good one's and they're damn near the size of a chicken leg!!
1604360357666.png

Forum List

Back