Is it wrong savory oatmeal sounds delicious?

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
The texter is what I think I'd find off putting.
Let us know how it comes out.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
Definitely going to have to try that.
You'll probably like it. Kinda like grits served like pancakes. Of course it goes well with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs too. Ever tried pork tenderloin sliced and fried up for breakfast with eggs? Another alternative for me is fresh caught bass fried up for breakfast.

I think I've cooked up every animal known to man with eggs for breakfast.
Where did you have this? Like I said I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard of grits cooked this way.
Well I can't say for sure I was born in Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley, then grew up in both of the Carolinas, north first then south.

So it sounds like a regional thing.
My grandmother is from Maine, several generations. I think it's a leftover thing.

Interesting.
I just cant wrap my head around it. But then I love bacon in my grits so I guess I can see it working.
Grits with bacon, cheese and butter is how to properly serve grits............ Unless you're a New Englander..........
In SC it's shrimp n creamy style grits. Personally I like them fried best. Pour the cooked grits into a greased loaf pan and set them in the fridge overnight to set up. Next morning dump the loaf pan and slice the grits into thin slices then pan fry in bacon grease. Serve with a little syrup or even. Molasses. Now that's southern cooking the deep south way.

Now I've had shrimp grits living on the Gulf Coast but I've never had grits like you described them.
You'll probably like it. Kinda like grits served like pancakes. Of course it goes well with bacon and eggs or ham and eggs too. Ever tried pork tenderloin sliced and fried up for breakfast with eggs? Another alternative for me is fresh caught bass fried up for breakfast.

Where did you have this? Like I said I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard of grits cooked this way.
Rattlesnake? Tastes like chicken. LOL

Kinda...I'd say it's closer to frog.
LOL frog legs are too damn much work for too little meat. Beat's starvation though.

Whaaaat!!??
You get some good one's and they're damn near the size of a chicken leg!!
View attachment 410300
Well I"ve only gone out and gigged my own but the frogs, even bull frogs weren't all that big.

Cant wait to ask the Wife if She's ever heard of fried grits.
She grew up in a town of around 250 people back in Her day,now it has 471...Bedias Texas.
So she's Hardcore Countr
Interesting.

They're delicious that way. I always have trouble with them sticking to the bottom of the frypan, though.

I'm shocked I've never heard of them living in Texas my whole life.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
It's a deep south thing I think and Texas isn't the deep south. I think of the deep South as South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.

Geographically we're further south but I see your point.
Texas has a lot of different food influences,some deep south some cajun some Mexican some French.
Things like mustard greens and the like are the same throughout the south.
I fell in love with collard greens when I visited the south.

Cant wait to ask the Wife if She's ever heard of fried grits.
She grew up in a town of around 250 people back in Her day,now it has 471...Bedias Texas.
So she's Hardcore Countr
Interesting.

They're delicious that way. I always have trouble with them sticking to the bottom of the frypan, though.

I'm shocked I've never heard of them living in Texas my whole life.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
It's a deep south thing I think and Texas isn't the deep south. I think of the deep South as South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.

Geographically we're further south but I see your point.
Texas has a lot of different food influences,some deep south some cajun some Mexican some French.
Things like mustard greens and the like are the same throughout the south.

The best side dish ever invented by man or woman.
Smokey,a nice greens taste and meat...whats not to like?
Especially with some Trappey's on it!!!

Interesting.

Rattlesnake? Tastes like chicken. LOL

Kinda...I'd say it's closer to frog.
LOL frog legs are too damn much work for too little meat. Beat's starvation though.

Whaaaat!!??
You get some good one's and they're damn near the size of a chicken leg!!
View attachment 410300
Well I"ve only gone out and gigged my own but the frogs, even bull frogs weren't all that big.

Down South chicken leg sizes are common.
We work an ox bow lake off the Trinity River in the bottoms and they're Huge!!
Of course the Alligators can be pretty big as well but thats why we carry side arms.
C5ABDB64-EF25-42AD-A0B5-4C912DF68769.jpeg

Gee, I always kept my mush habit to myself--thought it was some antiquated thing like having a biscuit doused with molasses for dessert. Mush even has recipes!

....turnip greens, mustard greens. Love 'em.

Try Lamb's Quarter or dandilion greens made like turnip or collard...if you have an unpoluted area to forage.

Try Lamb's Quarter or dandilion greens made like turnip or collard...if you have an unpoluted area to forage.

I've never had mustard greens. Do they taste mustardy? Beet greens are one of my favorites, with the nice long pink stems and itty tiny beets at the bottom. Gives em a little tooth.

I've never had mustard greens. Do they taste mustardy? Beet greens are one of my favorites, with the nice long pink stems and itty tiny beets at the bottom. Gives em a little tooth.

If they do, I've never noticed.

Beet greens. :thup:

This thread us making me hungry...

Poke salad is a uniquely Southern thing as well and it has huge health benefits.
But very poisonous if not prepared properly.
Pokeweed: How to Prepare "Poke Salad" | Wild Abundance

Nah they dont taste like mustard.
It taste like a sharper collard green.

Gee, I always kept my mush habit to myself--thought it was some antiquated thing like having a biscuit doused with molasses for dessert. Mush even has recipes!

Oh no...mush is delicious.

Never had a molasses covered biscuit for dessert...but I've going to try it now.

Biscuits with breakfast sausage, grape jelly and lots of butter!!!
Preferably venison breakfast sausage.

Why did you give beet greens a thumbs down? They don't taste like beets, either.

Why did you give beet greens a thumbs down? They don't taste like beets, either.

I was saying thumbs down to they taste like mustard.

The south has the best food.

The only thing I had down there I didn't like was Bbq Shrimp. It was a real let down, too. Kept hearing how great it was, we went to this place that was supposed to be famous for it. It has Worcestershire in it, what's not to like, right? I choked down four and couldn't do anymore, even though I was hungry. There was some herb in it or something I just hated. Don't know what it was..

Poke salad is a uniquely Southern thing as well and it has huge health benefits.
But very poisonous if not prepared properly.
Pokeweed: How to Prepare "Poke Salad" | Wild Abundance
I have some of that growing here. My wife told me not to cut it down...we might need it...but I didn't know how to prepare it. Thanks.

Forum List

Back