Is it the duty of Christians to call out abuses when they see it? To confront betrayers of human dignity and God given rights?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I believe so. Let us all thrive to have the courage to stand up to abusers, when so many hide, cower, ignore, or even personally profit from it.

One can't be afraid in my opinion, confronting what is wrong is rarely easy.

Last edited:
I believe so. Let us all thrive to have the courage to stand up to abusers, when so many hide, cower, ignore, or even personally profit from it.

The meek shall inherit the earth

Hah. I've looked at this vital passage in the past and it was explained that how we view meek, is not how it was original defined. It doesn't mean to be weak as we might view it today, it meant to be strong, but calm/controlled.

Human history has shown what happens when citizens remain silent in the face of human right abuses of others.

Yes, speak out against child separation from parents...

Speak out against division, lies, ....

Speak out against using military TO fire smoke bombs, pepper balls etc, against peaceful protesters for simply a photo op for the President

Speak out against firing all independent Inspector general's investigating the President and friends... being fired....

Speak out against the DOJ playing favoritism with Presidential friends and the supposed blind justice system of fairness....

Speak out against all wrong doings....

But in the end, it is the meek, who inherent the Earth, as said above....

Yeah sure... :rolleyes-41:

Alternative facts....

The meek isn't really the meek, eh?

And those that mourn are not mourners

And the peacemakers are not really peacemakers...

Etc etc etc....

Yeah sure... :rolleyes-41:

Alternative facts....

The meek isn't really the meek, eh?

And those that mourn are not mourners

And the peacemakers are not really peacemakers...

Etc etc etc....

This sentence always struck me as it, like so many in both testaments; is a profound statement in it's simplicity. I viewed it as being "humble" and submissive to God. Or maybe such as that which Gandhi promoted in peaceful resistance, etc.

However, I've read enough to convince me otherwise, it's a word with enough ambivalence to look deeper. The New Testament was written over 2000 years ago in Hebrew/Aramaic, of course the word meek, along with other words aren't going to be the same, especially when translated. Did you know the word "nice", used to mean foolish? Awful, used to mean "in awe of"? These are just two off the top of my head, I could find a hundred if I googled a search.

As such, I believe meek isn't passive. That would go against so many tenets promoted in the bible about being virtuous and righteous. Is it righteous to stand idle as people are persecuted? I think not.

Here is one source, similar to what I read some time ago regarding this passage and the word meek:

Matthew 5:5 - Meek Inherit the Earth

Who are the meek?
To many, “meekness” suggests the idea of passivity, someone who is easily imposed upon, spinelessness, weakness. Since Jesus declared Himself to be meek (Matthew 11:29), some perceive Him as a sissy-type character.

Nothing could be further from the truth. In the Greek New Testament, “meek” is from the Greek term praus. It does not suggest weakness; rather, it denotes strength brought under control. The ancient Greeks employed the term to describe a wild horse tamed to the bridle.

In the biblical sense, therefore, being meek describes one who has channeled his strengths into the service of God.

Of course. The Holy Spirit came to convict the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment (Jn 16:8).

Christians were not silent when they left the Church of England, when they rallied for independence in the prelude to the American Revolution, and they still speak out when they feed the homeless in their own communities.

Hah. I've looked at this vital passage in the past and it was explained that how we view meek, is not how it was original defined. It doesn't mean to be weak as we might view it today, it meant to be strong, but calm/controlled.

Human history has shown what happens when citizens remain silent in the face of human right abuses of others.
Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power ergo....

Forum List

Back