Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?

But... super Christians will tell you that the earth is only 6,000 years old. That's what they deduce from the Bible, and they believe there's scientific evidence to support it.

Don't ask me... I think they're nuts.
That's not what Christians believe any way. The Bible only traces the lineage of Jesus. That goes back 6,000 years. Adam and Eve were the first humans to be born in a state of grace.
"The Bible only traces the lineage of Jesus?" Are you serious? Did you miss Genesis and Revelations, the chapters in the Bible that literally talk of God creating... EVERYTHING... and how it will all end? That's got nothing to do with Jesus, and yes, super Christians most certainly DO believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, big time...

I have known a lot of Christians and not one has ever held that the earth is 6,000 years old. The only people that I have heard espouse this theory are liberals telling me what Christians believe.
There is once again a growing number of Bible Believing Christians who fully believe that the earth is merely thousands of years old and not millions of years old. They also hold to the Flood of Noah's generation. At one time ALL professing Christians simply accepted the FLOOD and the Genesis Creation without thinking. Unfortunately, that is always a mistake. It leaves one wide open to unanswerable criticism and being lead astray. One needs to study to see and understand the reality of one's personal belief.
I do not know any Christian that believes the earth is only thousands of years old.

The story of the Flood has to be absolutely true. The story is just too widedpread to be a rumor or legend. All of the stories of a great flood also have a survivor that saved the local animals. With that many people in such far flung places has substantially the same story it's more than likely true.
It's good to know that a lot of people believing in something makes it true. That confirms my understanding of Bigfoot, Nessie, the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy and space aliens are true and accurate.

The Book of Genesis is not a history book or a science text. It describes the relationship between Man and God.

The story of Noah and the flood is a statement of how God deals with evil. God cannot destroy the earth all the time because of the evil of Men. We are responsible for the evil we do. The consequences of free will. God isn't going to tear things down and start over every time things get out of control He did that once but no more. That is the real lesson in the story.

But... super Christians will tell you that the earth is only 6,000 years old. That's what they deduce from the Bible, and they believe there's scientific evidence to support it.

That's not what Christians believe any way. The Bible only traces the lineage of Jesus. That goes back 6,000 years. Adam and Eve were the first humans to be born in a state of grace.
"The Bible only traces the lineage of Jesus?" Are you serious? Did you miss Genesis and Revelations, the chapters in the Bible that literally talk of God creating... EVERYTHING... and how it will all end? That's got nothing to do with Jesus, and yes, super Christians most certainly DO believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, big time...

I have known a lot of Christians and not one has ever held that the earth is 6,000 years old. The only people that I have heard espouse this theory are liberals telling me what Christians believe.
There is once again a growing number of Bible Believing Christians who fully believe that the earth is merely thousands of years old and not millions of years old. They also hold to the Flood of Noah's generation. At one time ALL professing Christians simply accepted the FLOOD and the Genesis Creation without thinking. Unfortunately, that is always a mistake. It leaves one wide open to unanswerable criticism and being lead astray. One needs to study to see and understand the reality of one's personal belief.
I do not know any Christian that believes the earth is only thousands of years old.

The story of the Flood has to be absolutely true. The story is just too widedpread to be a rumor or legend. All of the stories of a great flood also have a survivor that saved the local animals. With that many people in such far flung places has substantially the same story it's more than likely true.
It's good to know that a lot of people believing in something makes it true. That confirms my understanding of Bigfoot, Nessie, the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy and space aliens are true and accurate.
When you have a similar account coming from places with no communication with one another that account will be accurate more often than not. If the Chinese have a Bigfoot legend that closely mirrors Aztec cave depictions, Australian aboriginal oral histories and Native American songs there will most certainly be a big hairy guy in their pasts.

There has certainly been a great flood. There have certainly been men who managed to save animals. The man may not have been Noah and his vessel may not have been the ark but the flood made an impression.

When you have a similar account coming from places with no communication with one another that account will be accurate more often than not. If the Chinese have a Bigfoot legend that closely mirrors Aztec cave depictions, Australian aboriginal oral histories and Native American songs there will most certainly be a big hairy guy in their pasts.

There has certainly been a great flood. There have certainly been men who managed to save animals. The man may not have been Noah and his vessel may not have been the ark but the flood made an impression.
It's not surprising that following the last Ice Age, there would be accounts of floods.

Just curious though, why do you think the gods would take such detailed efforts to cover their tracks so effectively after the alleged global flood that all evidence indicates a long geological history for the planet without a global flood?

It's not surprising that following the last Ice Age, there would be accounts of floods.

Just curious though, why do you think the gods would take such detailed efforts to cover their tracks so effectively after the alleged global flood that all evidence indicates a long geological history for the planet without a global flood?
Not only are there accounts of great floods, but many of them. All over the world. It would be surprising if there were not accounts of floods.

Forget religion. Just as a matter of history we know there were floods.

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
No
Why not?
Because allegory and true are not compatible for the same topic, not that you can comprehend
It is if that was how they passed down history and knowledge back then.

Which is exactly how they did it. Orally. From generation to generation for thousands of years.

Because allegory and true are not compatible for the same topic, not that you can comprehend

I think ding can comprehend. He just doesn't believe Genesis and said he will never will as literally stated. I think he's his own god now in his mind.

Not only are there accounts of great floods, but many of them. All over the world. It would be surprising if there were not accounts of floods.

Forget religion. Just as a matter of history we know there were floods.
It's difficult to forget religion in a thread about a flood that is so central to a specific religion. Let’s also be clear about definitions. “Biblical-type floods” carrires with it a lot of theistic baggage. The claimed Biblical flood was about a global flood wiping most of humanity from the planet because humans were a disappointment to the Christian gods.

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
No
Why not?

Which is exactly how they did it. Orally. From generation to generation for thousands of years.
Who passed down how god created the earth when there were no people

Please take your pills now

Unless genesis was written by god its nonsense

You are following Satan's playbook or movie script to a T. Very good. 1. You scrape and bow down to your master Satan aka the "god of the world and prince of the power of the air." 2. You call God's word in Genesis as nonsense. 3. You are Satan's lock, stock, and barrel for long time. 4. Haha.

No
Why not?

No one. Which is pretty amazing since they nailed that the universe was created and that man is a product of that creation.

Unless genesis was written by god its nonsense

You are following Satan's playbook or movie script to a T. Very good. 1. You scrape and bow down to your master Satan aka the "god of the world and prince of the power of the air." 2. You call God's word in Genesis as nonsense. 3. You are Satan's lock, stock, and barrel for long time. 4. Haha.
Actually you are living your entire life making the same asinine arguments over and over and never actually living. Are you married, do you have kids, I doubt it because your entire life is spent here trying to prove the unprovable

Who will remember you after you die

No one because you forgot to live

No
Why not?

No one. Which is pretty amazing since they nailed that the universe was created and that man is a product of that creation.
Who are they? The little greenies that probe you at night perhaps

Forum List

Back