Is it possible for someone to spoof your cell phone number in the form of a text etc? How about misplace you somewhere you are not?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So with all the threats and many justified fears I have, one such fear is having a cell and the Bad Guys sending a text to someone from my phone number even though I didn't send it. Ditto for "placing me somewhere" based on my cell phone even if I were never there.

Old cell phones allowed you to remove the battery so you could remove it and walk your day in peace. I learned from a non-fiction spy book that removing the battery ensures you aren't tracked by nefarious operatives.

Nowadays you cannot remove the battery so can any bad actors (sometimes pretending to be the good guys) "spoof" your location if they chose, or no?

So with all the threats and many justified fears I have, one such fear is having a cell and the Bad Guys sending a text to someone from my phone number even though I didn't send it.
Yep, it can be done. Spoofing a phone number is a common scammer trick. They'll pretend to be law enforcement, or someone's grandson begging gramma for bail money.

Nowadays you cannot remove the battery so can any bad actors (sometimes pretending to be the good guys) "spoof" your location if they chose, or no?
There are ways to spoof your own GPS location. I've seen Pokemon-Go players use such hacks. It's not trivial, though, not just a matter of downloading an app.

Can someone else do it? Not without hijacking your whole phone. Which is unlikely.

If you really don't want to be tracked, you can put your phone in a Faraday cage pouch, which will seal it off from signals. Search on that term.

Yep, it can be done. Spoofing a phone number is a common scammer trick. They'll pretend to be law enforcement, or someone's grandson begging gramma for bail money.

There are ways to spoof your own GPS location. I've seen Pokemon-Go players use such hacks. It's not trivial, though, not just a matter of downloading an app.

Can someone else do it? Not without hijacking your whole phone. Which is unlikely.

If you really don't want to be tracked, you can put your phone in a Faraday cage pouch, which will seal it off from signals. Search on that term.
Thanks for the info, this is what I feared. I don't want someone to use my phone to text someone in some fake criminal activity and set me up. Believe it when I say there are some bad apples would would do just that. This is one reason I do NOT own a cell phone.

Are there any cellphones today that allow the battery to be removed? How uninformed is our society when we just hand over our privacy...

So with all the threats and many justified fears I have, one such fear is having a cell and the Bad Guys sending a text to someone from my phone number even though I didn't send it. Ditto for "placing me somewhere" based on my cell phone even if I were never there.

Old cell phones allowed you to remove the battery so you could remove it and walk your day in peace. I learned from a non-fiction spy book that removing the battery ensures you aren't tracked by nefarious operatives.

You can purchase a faraday bag for only $25.00 for your peace of mind:
Amazon product

Thanks for the info, this is what I feared. I don't want someone to use my phone to text someone in some fake criminal activity and set me up. Believe it when I say there are some bad apples would would do just that. This is one reason I do NOT own a cell phone.

Are there any cellphones today that allow the battery to be removed? How uninformed is our society when we just hand over our privacy...
If you're really worried about someone attempting to implicate you in a crime, there are ways you can prove your own whereabouts. It's a tactic I had to take up roughly 20 years ago. Now it's done automatically for me.

The number can be spoofed, but not the location.

When US Embassy or military personnel are assigned to duty in a nation that is not friendly to us, we call that a “non-permissive environment”. This means that the host nation’s government will not allow us to operate without challenges or restrictions. We send personnel heading there to special courses on how to live and operate clandestinely in a non-permissive environment.

Well, let’s call a spade a spade. If you are a conservative Christian who is interested in preparedness in the US today, you are operating in a non-permissive environment. The Department of Homeland Security has stated that an interest in “being prepared” or “being ready” is an indicator of domestic violent extremism. Facebook went so far as to warn people joining canning groups that they might have been exposed to violent extremism (yes, really). As a matter of fact, they’ve called people “concerned about their Constitutional Rights” potential violent extremists.

Now, this isn’t a political article. It’s an article on some tips and techniques for living in a non-permissive environment, something I know a thing or two about. As a protective security agent, I advise clients and travel with them to areas where they are targeted. It takes some skills to stay under the radar.

I thought he was reluctant to get a new cell because he can't easily remove the battery. The faraday bag will solve that concern for him.
I know. He had me roped in for a minute too. He's worried someone will text with the phone he doesn't even have. He's a crank. Probably lonely.

I know. He had me roped in for a minute too. He's worried someone will text with the phone he doesn't even have. He's a crank. Probably lonely.
People impersonating someone is a valid concern in our day & time unfortunately. I do what I can to try to put the minds of others at ease by giving them enough information so that they can understand how certain things are accomplished and ways they can try to mitigate the damage if it does happen to them.

Depends what privacy you've got that you feel you need to hide. Most people don't have much.

People impersonating someone is a valid concern in our day & time unfortunately. I do what I can to try to put the minds of others at ease by giving them enough information so that they can understand how certain things are accomplished and ways they can try to mitigate the damage if it does happen to them.
It's just human wanting to help when you can help. My post wasn't meant as a criticism to you.

Depends what privacy you've got that you feel you need to hide. Most people don't have much.
I dont NEED to hide for my sake or actviities, Im on the internet all day, I need rro be concerned about others with nefariois and contemptable actions

I dont NEED to hide for my sake or actviities, Im on the internet all day, I need rro be concerned about others with nefariois and contemptable actions

I don't use money on my phone, without money being impacted, what can they seriously do? Not much.
My mother had someone hack her email, pretty obvious, she wouldn't write like that.

As a former telecom engineer, let me just say that with digital technology and with the proper know-how, all things are possible with your cellphone.

Old cell phones allowed you to remove the battery so you could remove it and walk your day in peace. I learned from a non-fiction spy book that removing the battery ensures you aren't tracked by nefarious operatives. Nowadays you cannot remove the battery so can any bad actors (sometimes pretending to be the good guys) "spoof" your location if they chose, or no?
Interesting. Yes, your phone in never really off so long as the battery is in as it continually pings the sites and other management overhead. Interesting that the new phones don't allow removal of the battery, which of course, CAN be removed since it was put inside, if you have the knowledge and skills to take the case apart. I'm sure they rationalize this due to lowered costs + the life of the battery likely outlasting the life of the software inside which they prematurely obsoletize so that you have to buy a new cellphone.

Removing the battery, without power, the phone can no longer receive nor transmit anything. Of course, science always offers an alternative and if you want to REALLY remove your phone from the network that no one can call nor track you, etc., while leaving the battery in, it sounds like you need a faraday cage for the phone-- serves the same purpose as taking the battery out but a bit easier.

Amazon product

Forum List

Back