Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
I don't believe it is possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory because there is no affirmative case for atheism. The only argument of atheism is to argue against religion and to criticize religion.

So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

I don't believe it is possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory because there is no affirmative case for atheism. The only argument of atheism is to argue against religion and to criticize religion.

So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?
Only inasmuch as gravity is considered to be anything more than critical theory against other magical explanations for why things don't float

Only inasmuch as gravity is considered to be anything more than critical theory against other magical explanations for why things don't float
So you are agreeing with me that there is no affirmative case for atheism.

The theory of gravity can explain why some thing's float and others don't, but it can't prove that the real reason isn't that magical super-beings make it so

The theory of gravity can explain why some thing's float and others don't, but it can't prove that the real reason isn't that magical super-beings make it so
The reason it is so is because of the laws of nature which existed before space and time make it so. We live in a logical universe governed by rules where every cause has an effect which means everything happens for a reason and has a purpose.

The reason it is so is because of the laws of nature which existed before space and time make it so. We live in a logical universe governed by rules where every cause has an effect which means everything happens for a reason and has a purpose.
That's a magical assumption based on nothing

No. It's called inflation theory. You should read up on it. It explain show space and time were created from nothing without violating the law of conservation and began to expand and cool until such time that beings that know and create were ultimately produced according to the laws of nature which existed before space and time.

Do you even have any science background at all?

No. It's called inflation theory. You should read up on it. It explain show space and time were created from nothing without violating the law of conservation and began to expand and cool until such time that beings that know and create were ultimately produced according to the laws of nature which existed before space and time.

You claim knowledge of what there was before space and time. That's a magical assumption based on nothing.

You claim knowledge of what there was before space and time. That's a magical assumption based on nothing.
So how else do you think the universe was created if not by following rules? Specifically the laws of quantum mechanics and the laws of conservation.

You really only have two options and it appears that you have chosen magic while I have chosen the laws of nature.

I don't even consider it that. It's just a lack of belief in a god.

So how else do you think the universe was created if for not following rules?
Could be random chance, could be intelligent creator. No evidence of any form that it was an abrahamic god that created anything.

Why worry about people who don't believe that a supreme being exists? Why worry that there are some people who simply do not know? Why worry about people who think that more than one god/goddess exists?

Nobody is keeping you from your thoughts.

Last edited:

So how else do you think the universe was created if for not following rules?
Could be random chance, could be intelligent creator. No evidence of any form that it was an abrahamic god that created anything.
If the universe is expanding then it must have a beginning. If you follow it backwards in time, then any object must come to a boundary of space time. You cannot continue that history indefinitely. This is still true even if a universe has periods of contraction. It still has to have a beginning if expansion over weights the contraction. Physicists have been uncomfortable with the idea of a beginning since the work of Friedman which showed that the solutions of Einstein's equation showed that the universe had a beginning.

The best explanation for how the universe began is the inflation model. It is possible for matter to have a beginning. In a closed universe the gravitational energy which is always negative exactly compensates the positive energy of matter. So the energy of a closed universe is always zero. So nothing prevents this universe from being spontaneously created. Because the net energy is always zero. The positive energy of matter is balanced by the negative energy of the gravity of that matter which is the space time curvature of that matter. There is no conservation law that prevents the formation of such a universe. In quantum mechanics if something is not forbidden by conservation laws, then it necessarily happens with some non-zero probability. So a closed universe can spontaneously appear - through the laws of quantum mechanics - out of nothing. And in fact there is an elegant mathematical description which describes this process and shows that a tiny closed universe having very high energy can spontaneously pop into existence and immediately start to expand and cool. In this description, the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.

I would say that everything coming into existence by pure chance, life coming from nonlife, intelligence coming from non-intelligence, and ordered information like DNA happening by dumb luck is about as “magical” as it gets.

I would not have enough faith to be an atheist, that’s for sure!

the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.
^ magical assumption
You believe the leading cosmological model for the creation of space and time is a magical assumption?
You're the one taking that model and claiming a magical being established it

the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.
^ magical assumption
You believe the leading cosmological model for the creation of space and time is a magical assumption?
You're the one taking that model and claiming a magical being established it
Are you going to discuss the OP or do I need to get the mods to kick you out.

I've already proven you to be ignorant of science.

I don't even consider it that. It's just a lack of belief in a god.
But that lack of belief in God can only manifest itself in attacking and criticizing religion, right?

I would say that everything coming into existence by pure chance, life coming from nonlife, intelligence coming from non-intelligence, and ordered information like DNA happening by dumb luck is about as “magical” as it gets.

I would not have enough faith to be an atheist, that’s for sure!
I appreciate that but I'd like to discuss the OP.

Can atheism ever be anything more than an attack on religion or a criticism of religion?

Forum List

Back