Is it over? Has Trump taken the GOP? The mechanics of a third party

A third party would be great. It won't be led by Trump. Even his core supporters understand now that he was little more than hot air.
I don't think they need to start a third party. They've commandeered the GOP and its infrastructure. No?
We need to start a FUCK YOU party and rid the earth of all pussies.

A big sausage party?
If you want. You can have at it. I am straight but I won't hold your need for cock against you. I am fair to all.

The crazy will be largely mitigated inside the party. IMO
I don't know how that happens, but it's possible. The never Trumpers may change their mind on this and work from within.

And there are probably still some sane Republicans hiding out within the party, ready to act if the opportunity presents itself.

The plan here (at least at the moment) is to chart and catalogue the progress (if any) of a new third party proposed by Republicans and former Republicans who are horrified by the trajectory the party has taken over the last five years.

So, two random thoughts and questions:

First, and perhaps most importantly, we all know that starting, growing and maintaining a viable third party would be a massive, herculean task. Odds certainly are that it won't stick and will most likely go down in history as a temporary, inter-party squabble. The linked article does go into what it would take for this effort to be successful, though, including finding and rallying around a charismatic figure. Without such a figure, this will never get off the ground. Do you agree or disagree?

Second, speaking of charismatic figures (for better or worse), Trump now has so much direct and indirect control of the GOP that it's telling that anti-Trumpers would even be talking about this. To me, that says that they've given up trying to grab the party back from him. If Trump gets the GOP, he gets all of the absolutely critical existing national infrastructure that goes with it. Is that what has happened? Have the anti-Trumpers ceded the party to Trump?

Interesting points in the linked piece:

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to “reform the party from within,” she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia. What's tougher -- reforming a party you've lost, or starting a new one?

“Let’s not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party,” said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush. That sure is how it looks right now.

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party. “More power to ‘em,” he said. Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden’s agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump’s absence. Yeah, I don't see that. I don't think Cornyn knows where this party has gone, right under his nose.

It is most likely going to end up like what happened to the WHIG party back in the 1800’s and there will be a split like with the Republican and Know Nothing Party...

The Know Nothing Faction AKA Trump Political Base will drive itself out of existence while a more moderate party formerly known as the Republican Party will rebuild itself to run against the Democrat Party...

What is AMAZING is how Trump voting base are willing to allow this to happen and make sure Democrats win in the future, and it make me wonder if this was Trump plan from the start to destroy the GOP and have a one party system ruling this country for a period of time?
Makes no sense why Democrats are trying to make sure that Trump cannot seek public office again since by your gibberish, it would ensure sweeping Democrat victories.

Obviously, they are just as scared as you are.
Democrats are trying to see justice done in a case where a criminal attempted a coup.
A coup is against the state. Trump was president.

As stupid as untrue.
The president is not the state. We the people are the state.

How did you tRumplings pass highschool government class?
No, the state is the state. The people are not the state. You sound like a Nazi. We had a revolutionary war, remember. King George was not considered the state by American patriots.
Not king george, you idjit! Us. You and me, out friends, family and neighbors.

Go read the Constitution, which you kids claim to believe in so much.

What are the very first words, right at the top?

The crazy will be largely mitigated inside the party. IMO
I don't know how that happens, but it's possible. The never Trumpers may change their mind on this and work from within.

And there are probably still some sane Republicans hiding out within the party, ready to act if the opportunity presents itself.
Trump is gone. Will you get over it?

The plan here (at least at the moment) is to chart and catalogue the progress (if any) of a new third party proposed by Republicans and former Republicans who are horrified by the trajectory the party has taken over the last five years.

First, and perhaps most importantly, we all know that starting, growing and maintaining a viable third party would be a massive, herculean task. Odds certainly are that it won't stick and will most likely go down in history as a temporary, inter-party squabble. The linked article does go into what it would take for this effort to be successful, though, including finding and rallying around a charismatic figure. Without such a figure, this will never get off the ground. Do you agree or disagree?

Second, speaking of charismatic figures (for better or worse), Trump now has so much direct and indirect control of the GOP that it's telling that anti-Trumpers would even be talking about this. To me, that says that they've given up trying to grab the party back from him. If Trump gets the GOP, he gets all of the absolutely critical existing national infrastructure that goes with it. Is that what has happened? Have the anti-Trumpers ceded the party to Trump?

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to “reform the party from within,” she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia. What's tougher -- reforming a party you've lost, or starting a new one?

“Let’s not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party,” said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush. That sure is how it looks right now.

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party. “More power to ‘em,” he said. Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden’s agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump’s absence. Yeah, I don't see that. I don't think Cornyn knows where this party has gone, right under his nose.

It is most likely going to end up like what happened to the WHIG party back in the 1800’s and there will be a split like with the Republican and Know Nothing Party...

The Know Nothing Faction AKA Trump Political Base will drive itself out of existence while a more moderate party formerly known as the Republican Party will rebuild itself to run against the Democrat Party...

What is AMAZING is how Trump voting base are willing to allow this to happen and make sure Democrats win in the future, and it make me wonder if this was Trump plan from the start to destroy the GOP and have a one party system ruling this country for a period of time?
Makes no sense why Democrats are trying to make sure that Trump cannot seek public office again since by your gibberish, it would ensure sweeping Democrat victories.

Democrats are trying to see justice done in a case where a criminal attempted a coup.

As stupid as untrue.

No, the state is the state. The people are not the state. You sound like a Nazi. We had a revolutionary war, remember. King George was not considered the state by American patriots.

Sorry, I don't suffer fools gladly.

As stupid as untrue.

Then how the fuck can you look in the mirror?

As stupid as untrue.

Then how the fuck can you look in the mirror?
Because I see myself. It is idiots who claim things like a sitting president committed a coup whom I do not suffer gladly. It would have been the first time in history a leader tried to overthrow himself.

Just stupid.

A brief history of the GOP post-Nixon

Leaving aside the South and the effects of desegregation, I've seen two third party attempts by the gop, and both resulted from Reagan's embrace of "permanent" deficits and voodoo economics .. and why I never voted for Reagan … John Anderson and Perot. In 84, Reagan raised taxes and saved social security. In 88, I wholeheartedly voted gop. In 92, Perot got Clinton elected, and we witnessed a balanced budget as a result of both HW and WJC embracing mainstream republican economics. Only to see HW's idiot son blow it up, and not Trump has all but insured ten years of 1.5 TRILLION YEARLY deficts, and very possibly an end to America's economic world domination.

But the point was both third party challenges just caused the GOP to pull back to the center. There was no "new party." And I think this will be much the same. None of Anderon Perot or HW were "charismatic." And I don't know if America can pull it's bacon out of the fire this time. We Boomers elected Reagan and Trump, and we've fucked up our country and kids.

A brief history of the GOP post-Nixon

Leaving aside the South and the effects of desegregation, I've seen two third party attempts by the gop, and both resulted from Reagan's embrace of "permanent" deficits and voodoo economics .. and why I never voted for Reagan … John Anderson and Perot. In 84, Reagan raised taxes and saved social security. In 88, I wholeheartedly voted gop. In 92, Perot got Clinton elected, and we witnessed a balanced budget as a result of both HW and WJC embracing mainstream republican economics. Only to see HW's idiot son blow it up, and not Trump has all but insured ten years of 1.5 TRILLION YEARLY deficts, and very possibly an end to America's economic world domination.

But the point was both third party challenges just caused the GOP to pull back to the center. There was no "new party." And I think this will be much the same. None of Anderon Perot or HW were "charismatic." And I don't know if America can pull it's bacon out of the fire this time. We Boomers elected Reagan and Trump, and we've fucked up our country and kids.
:clap2:

As much as I'd love to see a viable third (and fourth) party emerge, I do think that fixing the party from within would be easier than starting a new party from scratch.

Theoretically, the Trumpsters could primary the sane Republicans in 2022, get smeared in the elections, and have to pull back. But who knows. This is uncharted territory.

McMullin said just over 40% of those on last week’s Zoom call backed the idea of a breakaway, national third party. Another option under discussion is to form a “faction” that would operate either inside the current Republican Party or outside it.

Such a "faction" would have to be pretty freaking large, organized and cohesive. And how do those Republicans stay in power without being primaried out? So yeah, it would have to operate outside the party itself. Tough to imagine that.

The key is this: Who's going to lead them. If you had a magic wand...who would you want or (better question) who do you think could lead them?
Liz Cheney.

McMullin said just over 40% of those on last week’s Zoom call backed the idea of a breakaway, national third party. Another option under discussion is to form a “faction” that would operate either inside the current Republican Party or outside it.

Such a "faction" would have to be pretty freaking large, organized and cohesive. And how do those Republicans stay in power without being primaried out? So yeah, it would have to operate outside the party itself. Tough to imagine that.

The key is this: Who's going to lead them. If you had a magic wand...who would you want or (better question) who do you think could lead them?
Liz Cheney.
They're leaving Trump, but not the gop

Liz Cheney.
Good answer.

Liz Cheney.

Too late for her. She cast her lot with the blob.

Liz Cheney.

Too late for her. She cast her lot with the blob.
I don't care about individual pols. But the gop is beginning to take back the party. The Chamber of Commerce. Haley. Roth is considering removing Trump from real estate. The Proud Boys are being dissolved ….

He is actually in cahoots wth the Deep State to make sure this happens. We told you he was always playing 3D chess!!!

MAGA

Trump doesn’t even know what the fuck 3D is and he sure the hell has never played Chess in his pathetic and miserable life...

Come on it is freaking obvious by his speach patterns alone he is a stone cold genius!!!!

MAGA

:rolleyes: :cuckoo:
You're delusional.

You're delusional.
I'm not the one who held this meeting.

Do you understand that?

You're delusional.
I'm not the one who held this meeting.

Do you understand that?
If you take that garbage seriously enough to start a thread about it, you're fucking delusional.

Forum List

Back