Is it over? Has Trump taken the GOP? The mechanics of a third party

McMullin said just over 40% of those on last week’s Zoom call backed the idea of a breakaway, national third party. Another option under discussion is to form a “faction” that would operate either inside the current Republican Party or outside it.

Such a "faction" would have to be pretty freaking large, organized and cohesive. And how do those Republicans stay in power without being primaried out? So yeah, it would have to operate outside the party itself. Tough to imagine that.
40% of a zoom call.
Wow!!!

A third party would be great. It won't be led by Trump. Even his core supporters understand now that he was little more than hot air.

The key is this: Who's going to lead them. If you had a magic wand...who would you want or (better question) who do you think could lead them?
No one that I can see or think of. This would take a pretty dynamic individual with nothing to lose.

Kasich?
Parody. Right?
Kasich is almost as sleepy as Biden.
The only time I saw him on TV recently was when he was shilling for the Dems.

The plan here (at least at the moment) is to chart and catalogue the progress (if any) of a new third party proposed by Republicans and former Republicans who are horrified by the trajectory the party has taken over the last five years.

So, two random thoughts and questions:

First, and perhaps most importantly, we all know that starting, growing and maintaining a viable third party would be a massive, herculean task. Odds certainly are that it won't stick and will most likely go down in history as a temporary, inter-party squabble. The linked article does go into what it would take for this effort to be successful, though, including finding and rallying around a charismatic figure. Without such a figure, this will never get off the ground. Do you agree or disagree?

Second, speaking of charismatic figures (for better or worse), Trump now has so much direct and indirect control of the GOP that it's telling that anti-Trumpers would even be talking about this. To me, that says that they've given up trying to grab the party back from him. If Trump gets the GOP, he gets all of the absolutely critical existing national infrastructure that goes with it. Is that what has happened? Have the anti-Trumpers ceded the party to Trump?

Interesting points in the linked piece:

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to “reform the party from within,” she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia. What's tougher -- reforming a party you've lost, or starting a new one?

“Let’s not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party,” said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush. That sure is how it looks right now.

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party. “More power to ‘em,” he said. Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden’s agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump’s absence. Yeah, I don't see that. I don't think Cornyn knows where this party has gone, right under his nose.

It is most likely going to end up like what happened to the WHIG party back in the 1800’s and there will be a split like with the Republican and Know Nothing Party...

The Know Nothing Faction AKA Trump Political Base will drive itself out of existence while a more moderate party formerly known as the Republican Party will rebuild itself to run against the Democrat Party...

What is AMAZING is how Trump voting base are willing to allow this to happen and make sure Democrats win in the future, and it make me wonder if this was Trump plan from the start to destroy the GOP and have a one party system ruling this country for a period of time?

He is actually in cahoots wth the Deep State to make sure this happens. We told you he was always playing 3D chess!!!

MAGA

The plan here (at least at the moment) is to chart and catalogue the progress (if any) of a new third party proposed by Republicans and former Republicans who are horrified by the trajectory the party has taken over the last five years.

First, and perhaps most importantly, we all know that starting, growing and maintaining a viable third party would be a massive, herculean task. Odds certainly are that it won't stick and will most likely go down in history as a temporary, inter-party squabble. The linked article does go into what it would take for this effort to be successful, though, including finding and rallying around a charismatic figure. Without such a figure, this will never get off the ground. Do you agree or disagree?

Second, speaking of charismatic figures (for better or worse), Trump now has so much direct and indirect control of the GOP that it's telling that anti-Trumpers would even be talking about this. To me, that says that they've given up trying to grab the party back from him. If Trump gets the GOP, he gets all of the absolutely critical existing national infrastructure that goes with it. Is that what has happened? Have the anti-Trumpers ceded the party to Trump?

Kinzinger joined the Feb. 5 video conference of the anti-Trump group and spoke for about five minutes, a spokeswoman told Reuters. But the congressman wants to “reform the party from within,” she said. He has recently formed a new political action committee to support Republican primary challengers running against pro-Trump House Republicans such as Matt Gaetz, of Florida, and Marjorie Taylor Greene, of Georgia. What's tougher -- reforming a party you've lost, or starting a new one?

“Let’s not kid ourselves; we are not going to change this party,” said Jim Glassman, a former undersecretary of state under George W. Bush. That sure is how it looks right now.

Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn laughed when asked by Reuters about a possible third party. “More power to ‘em,” he said. Cornyn, however, predicted shared opposition to President Biden’s agenda will hold Republicans together. He said he hopes life in the Republican Party will return to something more normal in Trump’s absence. Yeah, I don't see that. I don't think Cornyn knows where this party has gone, right under his nose.

It is most likely going to end up like what happened to the WHIG party back in the 1800’s and there will be a split like with the Republican and Know Nothing Party...

The Know Nothing Faction AKA Trump Political Base will drive itself out of existence while a more moderate party formerly known as the Republican Party will rebuild itself to run against the Democrat Party...

What is AMAZING is how Trump voting base are willing to allow this to happen and make sure Democrats win in the future, and it make me wonder if this was Trump plan from the start to destroy the GOP and have a one party system ruling this country for a period of time?
Makes no sense why Democrats are trying to make sure that Trump cannot seek public office again since by your gibberish, it would ensure sweeping Democrat victories.

Obviously, they are just as scared as you are.
Democrats are trying to see justice done in a case where a criminal attempted a coup.

Cornyn got very luck this last time around. In 6 years, he gone. BANK ON IT!!!

The key is this: Who's going to lead them. If you had a magic wand...who would you want or (better question) who do you think could lead them?
No one that I can see or think of. This would take a pretty dynamic individual with nothing to lose.

Kasich?
I thought of him, but they would need someone more dynamic, I'd think.
Disagree. If you mean charismatic, I disagree. If you mean someone who can sell the sizzle instead of the steak...maybe. Seems like reason would sell itself though

Makes no sense why Democrats are trying to make sure that Trump cannot seek public office again since by your gibberish, it would ensure sweeping Democrat victories.

Democrats are trying to see justice done in a case where a criminal attempted a coup.
A coup is against the state. Trump was president.

As stupid as untrue.

Kasich?
Disagree. If you mean charismatic, I disagree. If you mean someone who can sell the sizzle instead of the steak...maybe. Seems like reason would sell itself though
Could be. I'd prefer to see someone with both qualities, but rationality and sanity would be a nice change, and K would qualify there.

He is actually in cahoots wth the Deep State to make sure this happens. We told you he was always playing 3D chess!!!

MAGA

Trump doesn’t even know what the fuck 3D is and he sure the hell has never played Chess in his pathetic and miserable life...

Kasich?
Could be. I'd prefer to see someone with both qualities, but rationality and sanity would be a nice change, and K would qualify there.

Kasich?

Ben Sasse?

Any of the 2016 candidates?

As stupid as untrue.
The president is not the state. We the people are the state.

How did you tRumplings pass highschool government class?

As stupid as untrue.
The president is not the state. We the people are the state.

How did you tRumplings pass highschool government class?
No, the state is the state. The people are not the state. You sound like a Nazi. We had a revolutionary war, remember. King George was not considered the state by American patriots.

Forum List

Back